Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    GPRS 1.1 did it!

1. Install GPRS 1.1
    2. Pref --> Service --> Wireless Internet Express
    3. Connect
    Me too - I am in the SF Bay Area - works great!

-Justin
    I upgraded from 1.0 to 1.1 last night. Like everybody says, it now has the service option: Wireless Internet or Wireless Internet Express. However, when it tries to connect using Wireless Internet Express, it saying that my APN is set up wrong. I went back to see if I can modify the APN but it's saying that the Cingular locked and cannot be modified this Wireless Internet Express. Is anyone else experiencing this problem in San Francisco area? Please advise.

By the way, I'm already subscribed to the Wireless Internet Express since last month.

NOTE: The Wireless Internet work fine with me. I wish I can get my Treo 270 to work with Wireless Internt Express.
  4.    #4  
    rperalta, If you can connect to Wireless Internet via the Wireless Modem feature you are using CSD and not on the GPRS network. You probably want to check back with Cingular to confirm you have Wireless Internet Express (GPRS).

Once on the Wireless Internet Express (GPRS) I can no longer use standard dial-up (CSD -- Wireless internet) connection.

another sign of GPRS is the little triangle onthe top left corner of your signal bar. It should be a small triangle. When connected to GPRS it becomes a larger triangle covering half of the icon.

Hope that helps...
    thanks coolwr,

I called Cingular technical support my account was not configured properly. Tech support corrected it, turned my Treo off and on, and boom!!! Big Triangle icon (GPRS) has appeared! Now I just have to change my 1 megabyte data to a higher price. Cingular charge 14.99 for data of 3 megabytes.
    Did you guys on the west coast with Cingular replace the currentcarrier.pdb file with the Asian one before doing this upgrade?
    I'm about to take the plunge, can't wait any longer!
    GPRS works great out here on the west coast! (LA area, Treo 180)

Installed via directions on this site, using the 1.1 upgrade (yes, i did have to use the asian currentcarrier.pdb file) upgrade went flawlessly, and boom, a GPRS enabled treo180 in front of me!

Then called up Cingular, had them add the $6.99 WIX (Wireless Internet eXpress) plan to my account, turn the phone off, turn it back on, and voila, GPRS is working, and blazing fast!!! Now i need to watch my usage, and see if it will be worth my money to upgrade to the $14.99 plan.

Also, here on the west coast with Cingular, enabling GPRS did not remove my regular Wireless Internet connection, i can go back and forth as i choose if i start getting close to going over my MB allotment. Customer Service verified to me on the phone that you have the ability to select which connection you want to use.

Hope that helps some of you out, me, i'm loving GPRS!!!!

-Mike

PS: This is my first time posting, i've been reading the boards for well over a month, and thanks to the excellent directions by the treocentral staff for installing GPRS, i've got GPRS up and running, so i figured it was time to register, and try and answer some questions for other cingular users.
    Well I just called Cingular to add wireless internet express to my account before I started upgrade procedure and they told me that they can't add it because the treo does not support it.....
    Okay .. whatever... how did you guys get it added to your account?

Thanks in advance,

Greg
  9.    #9  
    Cingular hasn't officially started supporting GPRS on the Handspring Treo.

You should just call them and specify vaguely that you have a GPRS enabled phone. They should be able to hook up the Wireless Internet Express for you.

(Maybe you just had a bad customer service rep)
    Okay,
    I got a cool person on the phone from Cingular to add WIE services to my account but here is the cool punch and I didn't want to argue with her.
    She said Wireless Internet Express was added to my account for $2.00 per month with unlimited kb!???!*!
    Can this be right?
  11.    #11  
    First, try connecting your Treo to the GPRS network.

Second, if that works check your next months bill.

Third, If the bill says $2.00 give me the number to the customer service rep so I can do the same

Whoo-hoo! Got GRPS working too. And I was about to switch back to the regular dialup wireless plan...

Are there any Treo utilities that can track Kb usage? I had the beta of Cell Plan Tracker, but it doesn't do data rates, just time...

I'd be thrilled to see Cingular come up with a reasonable unlimited GPRS plan now that T-Mobile has the Sidekick deal on, though $2 per month seems a little too good to be true. (Though you'd think those of us with the higher rate plans would get some GPRS thrown in... grrr.)

-johnny0
    Treo 270 / Cingular
    Originally posted by rperalta
    I upgraded from 1.0 to 1.1 last night. Like everybody says, it now has the service option: Wireless Internet or Wireless Internet Express. However, when it tries to connect using Wireless Internet Express, it saying that my APN is set up wrong. I went back to see if I can modify the APN but it's saying that the Cingular locked and cannot be modified this Wireless Internet Express. Is anyone else experiencing this problem in San Francisco area? Please advise.

By the way, I'm already subscribed to the Wireless Internet Express since last month.

NOTE: The Wireless Internet work fine with me. I wish I can get my Treo 270 to work with Wireless Internt Express.
    I just upgraded and get the same APN error code and can't edit it because it is locked. I confirmed with Cingular that Wireless Internet Express is set up correctly on my account and they confirmed that it is but could take up to 24 hrs to go through the system.
    Anybody else have this problem?
    Help!
    I successfully installed the patch and the phone as a whole still works fine and I can still dial up my wireless window but cannot access GPRS.
    I get an error code that the GPRS APN is not configured correctly but I cannot access the properties to edit it. It's locked.
    When I installed the patch it recognized my carrier as Singtel and than asked for my user name and password and confirm password so I entered that info for "My Wireless Window".
    was that the right thing to do or should I have left it blank?
    After the upgrade I removed the Singtel Currentcarrier.pdb and replaced it with my original one. Should I have done that?

Thanks in advance
    Greg
  15.    #15  
    1. Yeah I inputted my wireless window user name and password

2. I did NOT delete the CurrentCarrier.pdb
    So you left the ASian currentcarrier.pdb file in the back up folder?
  17.    #17  
    Yep... I didn't touch it after the upgrade
    Everything appears good, all the added features are there i even have the little triangle to the right of the graphic antenna and above the signal strength meter but every time I try to long into wireless internet express I get "GPRS APN isn't cofigured correctly".
  19.    #19  
    Wait a day and see what happens
    Thanks for the help. I guess I'm just to anxious to make sure it all works okay.

Greg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast