Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    AT&T rolling out unlimited calling to any mobile number -- Engadget

    And a major reason to stay with Sprint goes away.
  2. #2  
    They will all be giving voice away pretty soon, data is where the $$ are going to be made.
  3. #3  
    I read there are restrictions. Something about required voice and text plans. Why can't they just offer it to everyone and do something pro-consumer for once? It took the CDMA iPhone hotpspot for them to offer up halfway decent tethering data for that extra $20.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. #4  
    Intriguing, I must say. Time to give the Atrix 4G another look...
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I read there are restrictions. Something about required voice and text plans.
    You're right. From AT&T's website (2/13/11):

    • Included with Unlimited Messaging plans – $20/month on an Individual Plan, $30/month for a FamilyTalk® Plan (up to 5 lines)
    • Available on $39.99 and higher Nation plans and $69.99 and higher FamilyTalk plans
  6. #6  
    but no unlimited data on this plan not like sprint at all
    [FONT="Garamond"]Dam1 J1sFONT]
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    AT&T rolling out unlimited calling to any mobile number -- Engadget

    And a major reason to stay with Sprint goes away.
    Still plenty of reasons to avoid AT&T.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  8. #8  
    The best feature AT&T has is roll-over minutes. If they had a decent network and a decent billing system... I would still be a subscriber.

    It's good to see them trying to emulate the good things competitors do instead of just looking for ways to charge more for smartphone data plans.
  9. #9  
    Personally I consider rollover minutes to be a marketing gimmick. If you need your rollover minutes, what you probably really need is a higher rate plan. We've all heard the occasional "well something happened this month that made me use a lot more minutes than usual" stories, but with just a modicum of caution it's easy to avoid going over a fixed amount of minutes without needing a rollover buffer.

    I'd wager my next paycheck that the vast majority of AT&T customer accumulate rollover minutes without ever dipping into them. But hey, they don't want to leave AT&T and just throw them away (que AT&T "Don't throw away those old minutes" ad campaign).
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    And a major reason to stay with Sprint goes away.
    I don't know about that.

    Sprint is still the cheapest of all four carriers and they still have unlimited, un-throttled data...for now...unlike all the other carriers. [Att doesnt have unlimited, Verizon and Tmobile are moving to throttle after a certain amount of usage]
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    AT&T rolling out unlimited calling to any mobile number -- Engadget

    And a major reason to stay with Sprint goes away.
    glad to see sprints innovation driving the US market to afford-ability. I'm just sad that it took so long.... and it isn't complete yet... Verizon, where you at?
  12. #12  
    Im about to jump onto att myself and I have the code you can text and you get a bump in 1000 minutes for free. I barely talk on the phone these days...this will last me a year! I did the numbers oo while I though I did a ton of browsing on my data, i merely hit 600mb a month on average. I guess its because Im around wifi all the time. I did go just under 3gb's one month but that was me tethering Netflix for 2 weeks.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I don't know about that.

    Sprint is still the cheapest of all four carriers and they still have unlimited, un-throttled data...for now...unlike all the other carriers. [Att doesnt have unlimited, Verizon and Tmobile are moving to throttle after a certain amount of usage]
    I've got unlimited data with AT&T but no, new customers won't.

    Still, i don't like the throttling talk. Who's going to watch them to make sure they don't mess with the 95%? How do you know if you've reached that point? I don't like unknowns. At least if i had 2GB data plan with AT&T i know what to expect and would have to pay 10.00 per one gb if i wanted more.

    Or think of it this way. AT&T has 4gb data for 45 a month and includes free hotspot tethering. (i'm assuming no jailbreaking or homebrew or rooting..stock only)

    I did compare AT&T and Sprint recently and it was even.

    2 lines:

    1500 min Sprint: 129.99 (voice plan)+20 (data)+-25% discount = 112
    700 min AT&T: 69.99 (voice)+30 (text)+25 (data line one)+25 (data line two)-25% discount = 112

    With hotspot app (unlimited data on sprint..4gb on AT&T) :
    Assuming Sprint charges 30 a month for tethering

    1500 min Sprint: 129.99 (voice plan)+20 (data) +30 (tethering line one)+ 30 (tethering line two)-25% discount = 157
    700 min AT&T: 69.99 (voice) +30 (text) +45 (data & hotspot line one)+45 (data & hotspot line two)-25% discount = 142

    Sprint plan has more minutes. AT&T has rollover. Both have free any mobile, any time. In addition, an AT&T iphone for example would have skype. Not sure on sprint phones.

    Now of course we can debate who's better which is useless. That varies by location. But the bottom line is that Sprint is no longer so cheap compared to others.
    Last edited by cardfan; 02/15/2011 at 09:56 AM.
  14. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #14  
    Without itemizing each of your numbers it is difficult to see your point.

    Are these family plans? How many lines? etc.
    Dan
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Without itemizing each of your numbers it is difficult to see your point.

    Are these family plans? How many lines? etc.
    edited. Yep, family plans, 2 lines.
  16. #16  
    It used to be just the plans, but Sprint hooked me with the Epic 4G, and I haven't seen a single handset yet released that would make me drop it. The iPhone 4 still has horrible notifications, a boring UI and a screen I now find too small. The Droid line bores me with their comparatively washed-out displays and I don't want to fight bootloaders to have fun with ROMs. Windows Phone 7 needs to get these updates Microsoft's been talking up at MWC (e.g. much faster third party app loading, multitasking, Twitter integration) and get them on something with a screen like the Samsung Focus/Epic 4G. Pre 3 isn't anywhere near available. Atrix is a great phone and display, but its modular extensions suck.

    Until I see a carrier come with a device that has the missing pieces these devices lack, I'm staying put.
  17. #17  
    Any mobile to mobile is great. I have a sprint plan with 5lines on a 1500min plan. The fact that I don't know or call anyone with a landline, and the free mobile to mobile,, all 5 lines combined don't use even 700mins a month. With mobile to mobile, no one will ever use a Single roll over min again.

    Evo-lution
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Now of course we can debate who's better which is useless. That varies by location. But the bottom line is that Sprint is no longer so cheap compared to others.
    Let's compare apples to apples. Add $16.99 to AT&T's plan to move nights and weekends to 7PM (included with Sprint's plan for free) and add another $10 for navigation (also free on Sprint). In that case, Sprint is cheaper than AT&T. Not by much, but then again, they give you more than double the minutes.

    I will say I think Sprint should have some lower rate plans to choose from. If Sprint had a 700 minute plan to compare to that AT&T plan, the difference would be even greater. If you start with AT&T's 1400 minute plan to match Sprint's 1500, then we are once again no longer in the same ballpark.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  19. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #19  
    Well, if he's just looking at cheapest there is no way to compare apples to apples because Sprint's family data plan starts so much higher, even though it includes more minutes, better time windows and more features. However, that's a lot for $15 a month.

    I agree that Sprint should seriously consider a 750 minute plan, even if they offered it for 99.99. It would really undercut the others.
    Dan
  20. #20  
    Yes I understand he is comparing the cheapest available, which, if he doesn't need all the extra stuff Sprint provides for free, then it really doesn't matter if it's there. Sprint is hurting itself by not providing lower rate family plans for people who don't need all the extras Sprint provides.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions