Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Let's compare apples to apples. Add $16.99 to AT&T's plan to move nights and weekends to 7PM (included with Sprint's plan for free) and add another $10 for navigation (also free on Sprint). In that case, Sprint is cheaper than AT&T. Not by much, but then again, they give you more than double the minutes.

I will say I think Sprint should have some lower rate plans to choose from. If Sprint had a 700 minute plan to compare to that AT&T plan, the difference would be even greater. If you start with AT&T's 1400 minute plan to match Sprint's 1500, then we are once again no longer in the same ballpark.
    With any mobile calling, apps like skype, and rollover, who cares about 7pm? Voice minutes aren't a huge factor anymore.

Sprint nav? Are you serious? People will use google nav or an iOS app on AT&T.

Sprint's problem is that they're not much cheaper now if at all but still perceived as the cheaper (not in the good way) product.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    With any mobile calling, apps like skype, and rollover, who cares about 7pm? Voice minutes aren't a huge factor anymore.

Sprint nav? Are you serious? People will use google nav or an iOS app on AT&T.

Sprint's problem is that they're not much cheaper now if at all but still perceived as the cheaper (not in the good way) product.
    i use the nav enough to spend the 10 bucks per month on att

what i cant stand is being BUNDLED Everything with NO , None ZERO option to remove parts of said bundle. on SPRINT
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Depends on the person. My ranking of the major carriers goes like this:

1) Sprint
    2) VZW
    3) T-Mobile
    4) Regional/pre-paid carriers
    DFL) AT&T

I've been with Sprint since at least 1999. I've always had excellent service. For a while there, their customer service could have been considered the worst customer service of any company on the planet, granted. However, I always paid my bill on time and my phones kept on working, so I never ever had to call them. In the decade plus I've been with Sprint, I've maybe called them a half dozen times total. So I do not consider them to be "cheap" at all. I consider them to provide the absolute best value for my dollar. YMMV.

My dislike of AT&T also comes from personal experience. My other half has been on AT&T for almost as long as I've been on Sprint. Well AT&T, then Cingular, then AT&T again. I think there might have been a BellSouth in there somewhere, too. And each time there was a change, they ****ed up her bill. And the service? Horrible sound quality, dropped calls galore. Also she travels a lot for her job, so insurance on her expensive smartphones would have been nice, but AT&T won't insure them. Finally broke her last year and got her to abandon her love of hoarding rollover minutes--which she never, ever used--to put her on Sprint. Her response? "Why didn't you get me to switch sooner?" She's stubborn like that.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Depends on the person. My ranking of the major carriers goes like this:

1) Sprint
    2) VZW
    3) T-Mobile
    4) Regional/pre-paid carriers
    DFL) AT&T

I've been with Sprint since at least 1999. I've always had excellent service. For a while there, their customer service could have been considered the worst customer service of any company on the planet, granted. However, I always paid my bill on time and my phones kept on working, so I never ever had to call them. In the decade plus I've been with Sprint, I've maybe called them a half dozen times total. So I do not consider them to be "cheap" at all. I consider them to provide the absolute best value for my dollar. YMMV.

My dislike of AT&T also comes from personal experience. My other half has been on AT&T for almost as long as I've been on Sprint. Well AT&T, then Cingular, then AT&T again. I think there might have been a BellSouth in there somewhere, too. And each time there was a change, they ****ed up her bill. And the service? Horrible sound quality, dropped calls galore. Also she travels a lot for her job, so insurance on her expensive smartphones would have been nice, but AT&T won't insure them. Finally broke her last year and got her to abandon her love of hoarding rollover minutes--which she never, ever used--to put her on Sprint. Her response? "Why didn't you get me to switch sooner?" She's stubborn like that.
    We're actually in the same location just about. Both AT&T & Sprint have pretty good coverage here. I've not noticed the problem with dropped calls like the reviewers in bigger cities. I'm not sure how far north of Louisville that AT&T 3G goes though..drops tend to happen more on the fringe areas.

No telling when Sprint will go 4G here or i'd give them more credit. I expect to see an HSPA+ "4G" iphone before that happens. With a different chip, maybe it'll improve the drops for others. I was on sprint for years like you before the past two years.

Verizon is kind of a nonfactor for me as i live south of Louisville and their coverage ends.
    Verizon is a nonfactor for me because of their outrageous pricing, but I place CDMA carriers over GSM due to superior sound quality and fewer dropped calls. The rest of my family (parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents) are all on a VZW family plan. They don't use data at all, so it works for them.

We have lived in the East End off Lyndon and off N. Hurstbourne, and now we live in Jeff (much more house for the money in IN, although the bridges do indeed suck, especially if they're going to toll them). Never had good service with AT&T. Always poor sound quality and dropped calls. Voice is more important to either of us than data speeds. Doesn't require much speed to sync w/ Exchange, which is the most important thing for her job and mine. In the current house, data was nonexistent with AT&T. But the kicker for me was always the poor sound quality.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Thanks for this link!
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The best feature AT&T has is roll-over minutes. If they had a decent network and a decent billing system... I would still be a subscriber.
    Rollover minutes are a mirage. They are also dangerous.

I had a family plan with 4 phones on it. I had a plan that was more than I needed. I built up a huge surplus of rollover minutes.

Right off the bat there I should have been on a cheaper plan, that would have saved me more money. But there are only certain tiers you can be at anyway so you typically overshoot.

Then, due to various factors the usage of all the phones on my plan increased to the point where it exceded my plan's minutes. It continued to creep upwards. But i never noticed because i had all these rollover minutes, in theory a good thing. Then they ran out one month and I got a $1000 bill. Yes I know I should have paid attention.

I did call AT&T and haggle around a bit and try to get them to retroactively change my plan to one that would suffice to cover it. I got nowhere until I called to cancel all my services then the person that does that makes one last ditch attempt to keep you and had no trouble doing all that and all was okay again.

Hokay... I continued at this higher plan for about a year and again built up a huge excess of minutes, around 18000. I decided I had too high a plan and identified one one tier lower that would work. When I tried to switch to it AT&T informed me they'd lose all my rollover minutes over 1000 for doing so.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12