Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Hi,

has anyone observed Treo power consmumption while using GPRS.

Namely, you pay only the data transmitted so it is appealing to stay online all the time. Only problem, I could see is battery usage.

Any experince ?

Thanks
    Kreso

ps. any hint how to meassure actual bandwith while using GPRS ?
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I've been using GPRS for a few weeks now. I haven't noticed any significant difference in battery life with a Treo 180 that is connected from 8am to 11pm. I still get about 2 days in standby mode.
    Browsing does reduce battery life. Browsed for hours on end -- hey, GPRS is still on free trial, and GPRS-on-Palm was a new experience -- and found low-batt warnings after 24hrs. Maybe Handspring should quote, in addition to talk and standby times, browsing times.

Regards.
    Someone I talked to in the industry told me always on GPRS uses about 30% more power when in an idle state.

My experiences with my Treo has been really impressive. I been emailing and browsing all day without having any problems with battery life. Compare that to my laptop which would last 2 hours with a constant dialup connection running on TWO batteries side by side. (it lasts 5 hrs when offline)
    Last edited by snapperfish; 09/29/2002 at 06:30 AM.
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...