1.    #1  
    Just recv'd notice from AT&T that come May 15th my Treo 650 will no longer be able to access their wireless network.

They write that due to network upgrades, "Unfortunately, a small number of customers will no longer be able to use their phones" after that date.

Does that mean they will no longer support GSM?

As long as they still support GSM can't I just tell them I bought a new phone?
    I doubt that will work. I believe it has more to do with the specs of that phone, which won't allow it to operate, any longer, on an updated network.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  3.    #3  
    If I understand correctly this means that AT&T is discontinuing ALL GSM 850 - 1900 traffic and that just seems so unlikely.

Then again it would mean forcing a bunch of cheapskates to choose to either spend more at AT&T (good for them) or making people reevaluate having a cell phone at all or switching carriers.
    Does that mean that they are phasing out EDGE services?
    Phasing out EDGE makes no sense right now, since many phones still need to fall back on it in the US. Since we're talking AT&T, likely they're blocking some older phones so you have to buy a new one. Jerks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    I discovered that they still have GSM only phones on their web site for sale with 2 yr contract, and GSM only prepaid phones as well. Which is interesting... I can use that!
    The only way they knew I had a Treo 650 in the 1st place is that on the "My account " web page I set the "My phone" field to "Treo 650". All I need to do then is find out what other, same technology phones they are still selling and tell them that is what I have now!
    Did the 650 use something prior to EDGE? Maybe they are shutting that off? All of mine were 700/755p on VZW, so I don't know what AT&T offered way back then.
  8.    #8  
    I honestly don't know exactly what EDGE is or how my phone gets on the AT&T network. I looked up the specs and it says: GSM850...GSM1900 (with a couple of other GSMxxx in between). Beyond that I am clueless.
    Prior to EDGE is regular old GPRS isn't it? EDGE is 2.5 data speed, the precursor to 3G.

BTW Mudsharky, you cannot get away with that anymore. They know what you're using by the IMEI number, That's how they tacked on smartphone rates to those who switched phones without telling AT&T.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10.    #10  
    I found the answer. It is not the phone that is the problem. I am an old AT&T "Blue" cell customer. I have had this plan and, more importantly, this SIM card for over 10 years. The part of the network they are retiring is not GSM related at all. I am on an old (less secure) authentication server system that they want to retire. They have offered a free Palm Pixi Plus with no contract. I just need to sign up for a new rate plan and get a new SIM.
    So the new SIM wouldn't work in the old Treo?
  12.    #12  
    Well, that's exactly what I'm hoping.
    They have offered a free Palm Pixi Plus w/o a contract and I need to pick a current "rate plan".
    If the SIM does work in my Treo 650 (& why shouldn't it?) I'll take the free phone and stash it away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudsharky View Post
    Well, that's exactly what I'm hoping.
    They have offered a free Palm Pixi Plus w/o a contract and I need to pick a current "rate plan".
    If the SIM does work in my Treo 650 (& why shouldn't it?) I'll take the free phone and stash it away.
    its possible it wouldnt work as when cingular bought att they made a all new phones locked to the cingular sim card.. its quite possible that when att bought them back they just required to use some new phones (at the time) with the "new" att sim cards
    The other option would be unlocking the 650 and just have an AT&T store swap your SIM. I have had AT&T trade out SIMs every now and then since the newer ones have more tower info. If your SIM doesn't say 3G on it, you should be able to get a new one from AT&T.

I don't know about 650 unlocks anymore, but Treo Central friends might have any answer.

John