Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Many of you have noticed that AOL's application for the Palm did not work with GPRS as it forced you to use a dial up number to connect. I wanted to let everyone know that this week, AOL has released AOL for Palm version 3.0 which allows a separate ISP connection to AOL, therefore making it possible to use it with the Treo on GPRS.

It is quite a wonderful program, though AOL now makes it available for $19.95 instead of having it as a free download. Well, I guess you get what you pay for....
    So does this mean we no longer have to dial out? If I'm already using web clippings and pqa's I could use v3.0 as a pqa?
    Last edited by millerhifi; 09/13/2002 at 08:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    No you do not need to dial out with the new AOL Palm Software. It is also not a PQA (like the AOL "software" for the Palm VII).

It is a full application -- with graphics (like the desktop version).
    So it would not work for the 270 unless I have GPRS?
    According to the product overview, you still dial out to an AOL access number with your user name. Seems to me like it would be the same as v2.0 was.
    The only benefit to having it with GPRS would be to view your personalized AOL content with web clipper, still not giving you access to email. Am I wrong?
    if u still have to dial in on version 3.0 why pay for it i am able to dial in and access my aol through web clippings on 2.0
    fred
    There is no reason to have 3.0. You still dial up using an AOL dial up number, the only advantage is "myaol" in which it uses web clippings. I'm using the palm VII version with web clippings and it works great.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Sorry guys, but you have it wrong.

AOL 3.0 for Palm DOES NOT require that you dial an AOL access number. There is an option to use your own ISP. It is worth the $19.95, especially if you have GPRS.
    Originally posted by NYMaestro
    Sorry guys, but you have it wrong.

AOL 3.0 for Palm DOES NOT require that you dial an AOL access number. There is an option to use your own ISP. It is worth the $19.95, especially if you have GPRS.
    I'm currently with Cingular and use their ISP for internet on a 270 and for sure your telling me that I can dial up "my wireless Window" from Cingular and access the AOL 3.0 software?