Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It is with much regret that I am discontinuing development and sale of my WirelessModem product. While the product does work for some, it can be quite tricky to get it setup. This has resulted in a huge number of customer support issues and a number of very rude users.

I have always made my products available as a demo so that users can make sure that they work BEFORE purchasing, but a number of customers think that by purchasing, the software will magically work. (When users purchase the software, they had to check a box that said it worked...some checked the box even though it didn't work.)

This decision is going to reduce some stress for me.

Please do not contact me about getting the software. If Handspring wants to contact me about licensing the product, that's fine.

Sorry.
    I will be sorry to see development cease on this product.
    Handspring, pick it up!!
    I just installed it today, and yes, it does not work.
    I understand your point of view, but what's the use of developping softwares that don't do what they are supposed to?
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by edupin
    I understand your point of view, but what's the use of developping softwares that don't do what they are supposed to?
    The software works fine for me. Unfortunately the configuration can be quite an issue. I simply know how to configure it for MY system. Everyone's system is different and all I can do is tell people how to configure it for MY system.

If everyone sent me his/her system, I'm sure that I could configure it. Unfortunately this is not an option.

Sorry.
    I really don't know what your... (COUGH) issue is. If you followed the instructions TO A TEE, and read all online help available before giving up....

.... i know how Sgruby feels...
    I hope you change your mind in the future. I would be prepared to pay a much higher price ($50-100) to have it further supported and developed.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by agahtan2
    I hope you change your mind in the future. I would be prepared to pay a much higher price ($50-100) to have it further supported and developed.
    Unforuntately I could only really support it connected to a PowerBook G4 running Mac OS X using Cingular's GPRS as that's all I have access to. I could continue developing it, but people would still ask me how to configure it with Joe's Wireless Service, a VAIO 200 MHz running Windows 95 connected via USB. My only response (like it has been) is to read the documentation and if it doesn't work, there's nothing I can do about it.
    Would you consider releasing source so other's could possibly work on it?

I'd love to see this program developed further, and opening the source is a way for others to at least attempt to make it better.

This will likely annoy some of the people who registered it, but I think it would definitely benefit the Treo community as a whole.
    sgruby,

I understand how you feel. It would be great, however, if you could consider:

a) Making it available as open source
    or
    b) Keeping it available but without any support promises
    Originally I had a lot of problems getting it to work with OS X 10.2 and my Treo 270, but becuase of Scott's great help and my persistence I got it to work.

Here is my suggestion, although a bit late: The user manual is correct, but a bit brief and a bit ambiguous in places, specially with the 5th USB port. A bit more explicit, ***** proof directions (5th USB port=the last item in the popup) under Port 2 was all that was necessary to prevent my Treo from crashing, when I was selecting the 1st USB port=6 popup from the top), when it was crashing. I also had problems seeing the Handspring Treo port in the Network Preferences (I think I did not have it connected to Treo originally) and at times it was dimmed and not selectable, Switching back and forth to another location usually worked to activate it. That may be a bug in Jaguar. I had no problems whatsoever with Fido data (with its mind boggling speed of 9.6kb). I hope it will continue working with the GPRS upgrade. Anybody got it to work with GPRS? On Powerbook G4 on OS X?? Or iBook on OS X?

Thanks
  11.    #11  
    WirelessModem will NOT be released as open source for a number of reasons:

1) I used libraries that I licensed for part of it which means part of the prorgam wouldn't work (all the communications)

2) The chances of anyone picking up development of an open source project is slim to none, in my opinion. Many people associate open source with free and could care less about working on the code. Of all the open source stuff that I've ever downloaded, I have only contributed back to one...it is way too easy to simply think it is free and not give back.

3) Even if it is open source, I'll still get email abou "it doesn't work". Here's an actual email message from a user that couldn't get my FREE TreoTools to work when I told him that since it was free, I couldn't support him:

"In that case your program sucks."

Probably the only way that WirelessModem will be released again is if someone like Handspring bought the rights to it.
    Well, I was thinking maybe I would pick up development, but if you used other libraries, then I guess you can't release it all anyway.

Any tips on how I could start from scratch and write my own? :)

(You can see some of the other stuff I've written here.)
    I think you did a great job with this software.
    I was still on my trial and it was working fine.
    Any way to get it registered? let me know.

thank you
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by KypDurron
    I think you did a great job with this software.
    I was still on my trial and it was working fine.
    Any way to get it registered? let me know.

thank you
    Send me a private message on this board and I'll send you a link to purchase it (it is now password protected). You must agree that there is no support whatsoever for the product.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by metsfan
    Well, I was thinking maybe I would pick up development, but if you used other libraries, then I guess you can't release it all anyway.

Any tips on how I could start from scratch and write my own?

(You can see some of the other stuff I've written here.)
    I actually will not hand over any of my software as I like to maintain control over it (quality, look/feel, etc.). I could pretty easily remove the library code I used, but I have no motivation to do so.

As for a starting point, I'll tell you the same people others told me "it can't be done". Basically the products does what it is supposed to do and does it well; there really aren't any enhancements that need to be done. If I was continuing it, I wouldn't add any features.

I realize that I'm not much of a help, but if it was easy, then others would have figured it out by now! Actuually the bulk of the program is less than 10 lines of code...you just have to figure out what those 10 are :-)
    Originally posted by sgruby

Basically the products does what it is supposed to do and does it well; there really aren't any enhancements that need to be done. If I was continuing it, I wouldn't add any features.
    If it works and does what it's supposed to do well, so much so that it doesn't need any enhancements, then is the sole reason you're withdrawing it from the market is that some users are whiners?

Why couldn't you just ignore such whining... or just have a stock answer that you send to such people?

Of course it's your preragative what you do with your code--I'm only discussing it because you are.

Why do you care so much about what some uninformed users think of your program if it's so close to perfect?
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by silverado

If it works and does what it's supposed to do well, so much so that it doesn't need any enhancements, then is the sole reason you're withdrawing it from the market is that some users are whiners?

Why couldn't you just ignore such whining... or just have a stock answer that you send to such people?

Of course it's your preragative what you do with your code--I'm only discussing it because you are.

Why do you care so much about what some uninformed users think of your program if it's so close to perfect?
    Your points are well taken; unfortunately I take what users have to say too personally and it causes me a lot of stress. Many people tell me to ignore it, but I can't.

While I normally don't post email sent to me, I'll post the message that threw me over the edge to let people see what kind of crap I take as a developer; this is from a user that couldn't get it to work initially, I responded that the only documentation was at the website was what we had and if it didn't work, don't buy it...the customer then proceeded to buy it and then when I again said read the documentation, the user got annoyed at me:

Dear Sir,
    how would you feel in this case:
    A company program a new program for Mac and windows. This program works with a modem only.
    She sells this program worldwide for 15.-- $ and the customer pays the bill.

Afterwards this company is not able to tell their customer, which modem-program works together with
    their program - and they dont have any knowledge, where such a modem-program can be find.

Isnīt it a shame for this company to tell the customers, how poor the knowledge of the programers really is????

In all programs I ever bought in this world I find a clear description, how the settings in the computer has to be done.
    Most programs do it by themselve during installation and ask the customer some questions which he has to fill in.

Modem settings are generally not easy because of many possibilities. So a good program should give the
    customers easy understanding instructions, which settings this special program need for working.

Isnīt it interesting how this company blame herself with this poor knowledge?

Yes, maybe I shouldn't take email so personally, but stupid users cause me too much stress.

Again, I apologize for the decision to discontinue the product, but for my own health, I needed to do it.
    I think I see it now. Your program makes a palm available as a modem to a PC or a Mac. What you signed up for is writing a palm application to pass through modem control to a modem connection on the palm device. However, this very pass-through nature has the side effect of passing all the modem setup hassels on PC's and Mac's to your door, which is not what you signed up for!
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by silverado
    I think I see it now. Your program makes a palm available as a modem to a PC or a Mac. What you signed up for is writing a palm application to pass through modem control to a modem connection on the palm device. However, this very pass-through nature has the side effect of passing all the modem setup hassels on PC's and Mac's to your door, which is not what you signed up for!
    I think that you have hit the nail on the head; I have no problems supporting my application, but I can't support everyone's Mac or PC and everyone's ISP. I've got a PowerBook and can tell people how to connect the Treo to MY PowerBook and my cellular provider, but after that, I must rely on what others tell me (and that's what I've put in the documentation).

Maybe this is the reason Handspring never put this kind of application on the Treo in the first place. It is interesting, however, that Kyocera built this into the 6035 and the upcoming 7135. However, Kyocera made it smarter so that when you plug the device into the laptop, it is automatically recognized as a USB Modem and is compliant with the USB Communications Device Class, i.e. no drivers required on the desktop and simpler configuration (not simple, just simpler).
    Scott,
    It sounds like you've been really burned by impatient, demanding users. That's really too bad, as I think people generally like your ideas and you've had some real successes (I really like TreoTools).
    You mentioned that you like to control the quality and look & feel of what you've written, so you don't want to hand it over to anyone. As a software developer by profession, I understand that. But I also know that sometimes people get real benefit out of something I created even though I don't control it anymore. It's a feeling of success I get by having started the ball rolling.

It also sounds like you are concerned that your reputation could be tarnished by some hack who mutilates your program and leaves you associated with the new piece of junk he created. I understand that too. What about revealing just *how* you accomplished it, even in pseudocode? Then someone else could write it from scratch and if they did a crappy job, it wouldn't harm your reputation for being a programmer with high standards.

I mean this sincerely, and in a friendly manner. It sounds like people want a program that does what yours does. Please consider helping someone else create one and still get away from all the meanness and hassles people brought to you.
    Jeff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast