Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Scott,

I very much understand where you are coming from. You sound like an innovative developer with a first to market needed product. The toils of customer support is a difficult one for a small offering like yours and your interest is in development and solutions, not customer support for every possible scenario and not worth the headache. I respect your personal need to withdraw from this. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Remember the positive part of this successful development for your future and your lessons learned will only help your success in the future.

George
  2.    #22  
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    I mean this sincerely, and in a friendly manner. It sounds like people want a program that does what yours does. Please consider helping someone else create one and still get away from all the meanness and hassles people brought to you.
    While I could reveral how I did what I did, I think that any developer that could actually duplicate my efforts should be able to figure it out on his own. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but if software was easy, everyone would be doing it. What I will say is that if you look at the FCC documents published for the Treo, it reveals some interesting pieces about how the device works (I actually made an educated guess before I saw the documents).

In addition, my goal is for a company like Handspring to purchase my development; if I reveal how I did it, it makes my efforts less valuable.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.
  3.    #23  
    Originally posted by george_vc
    Scott,

I very much understand where you are coming from. You sound like an innovative developer with a first to market needed product. The toils of customer support is a difficult one for a small offering like yours and your interest is in development and solutions, not customer support for every possible scenario and not worth the headache. I respect your personal need to withdraw from this. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Remember the positive part of this successful development for your future and your lessons learned will only help your success in the future.

George
    Thanks for the kind words; I think that the biggest lesson I've learned is that I need to get others to market and support my products (which I do for most of my development). I take way too much pride in my work and most users think that whatever they pay for the product, they should get tons of support and it should work right for them. Unfortunately software costs a lot to develop and it is exteremely hard to recover development effort/costs especially on small Palm products like WirelessModem.

WirelessModem does exactly what I need it to do; I originally wrote it so that I could just carry my Treo and hook it to my PowerBook if needed...it accomplishes that goal. My goal would be to have someone else take up marketing and support; hopefully I'll get this to happen.

Cheers!
    Originally posted by sgruby

In addition, my goal is for a company like Handspring to purchase my development; if I reveal how I did it, it makes my efforts less valuable.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.
    I totally 100% agree with Scott that a company with the resources needed to support it should buy it and perhaps market it together with a nice short USB cable, that can also charge the Treo from the USB port. Perhaps add IR and bluetooth support.

Or if Scott would get together with a company who would do the marketing and support and leave him alone to concentrate on the coding.
    How about a user-contributed FAQ on how to setup wirelessmodem on various OS environments. And bundle that FAQ with each copy of wirelessmodem. Am sure a couple of tech-heads would be willing to put it together.

At least, that should offload most of those pesky installation queries.

Just hope that a great piece of coding like this doesn't fade away. And with GPRS on the Treo, am sure plenty of us would want to connect our laptops via the Treo.
  6.    #26  
    Originally posted by Purple Sun
    How about a user-contributed FAQ on how to setup wirelessmodem on various OS environments. And bundle that FAQ with each copy of wirelessmodem. Am sure a couple of tech-heads would be willing to put it together.

At least, that should offload most of those pesky installation queries.

Just hope that a great piece of coding like this doesn't fade away. And with GPRS on the Treo, am sure plenty of us would want to connect our laptops via the Treo.
    Most of the documentation (except for the Mac part) was from what users contributed. Even the Mac part (which I know worked from my own experience), had some issues where people couldn't follow it.

Oh well.
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by tomm

I totally 100% agree with Scott that a company with the resources needed to support it should buy it and perhaps market it together with a nice short USB cable, that can also charge the Treo from the USB port. Perhaps add IR and bluetooth support.

Or if Scott would get together with a company who would do the marketing and support and leave him alone to concentrate on the coding.
    I've got a short USB cable from Landware that charges. My software already supports Bluetooth; however, there is no device out there that can use it (Bluetooth is simply a serial port in WirelessModem's view). WirelessModem really needs a Windows USB driver; I started negotiations with someone to do one, but stopped it. The Windows USB driver would probably eliminate some of the installation problems; however, there would still be those with the iPaq that couldn't get it working and blame me (blame Microsoft on that one).

If some company was willing to step up to the plate and pay me some money for it, I'd be more than happy to sell it.
    Originally posted by sgruby

I've got a short USB cable from Landware that charges. My software already supports Bluetooth; however, there is no device out there that can use it (Bluetooth is simply a serial port in WirelessModem's view). WirelessModem really needs a Windows USB driver; I started negotiations with someone to do one, but stopped it. The Windows USB driver would probably eliminate some of the installation problems; however, there would still be those with the iPaq that couldn't get it working and blame me (blame Microsoft on that one).

If some company was willing to step up to the plate and pay me some money for it, I'd be more than happy to sell it.
    Seidio has 8" USB charger cable, but people have posted some negative comments about them here. What about the D-link DWB-120M bluetooth adaptor that Apple sells? Some bluetooth phones like the Sony Erickson 68i have bluetooth and should be usable with your software? However our belowed Treo does not support Bluetooth in its present incarnation. Perhaps some future version will. It does, however, support IR, but my belowed Powerbook G4 does not. (Steve Jobs has decided we don't need it). However I was told that Belkin is working on IRDA adaptor for the Powerbook, so the Treo should work as a GPRS modem via the IR as well. Those older models with the IR port built-in should work now.
  9.    #29  
    Originally posted by tomm

Seidio has 8" USB charger cable, but people have posted some negative comments about them here. What about the D-link DWB-120M bluetooth adaptor that Apple sells? Some bluetooth phones like the Sony Erickson 68i have bluetooth and should be usable with your software? However our belowed Treo does not support Bluetooth in its present incarnation. Perhaps some future version will. It does, however, support IR, but my belowed Powerbook G4 does not. (Steve Jobs has decided we don't need it). However I was told that Belkin is working on IRDA adaptor for the Powerbook, so the Treo should work as a GPRS modem via the IR as well. Those older models with the IR port built-in should work now.
    1) My software is only useful on a Treo...there is no need to use it if you have a Bluetooth adapter and a T68i

2) For the Mac, I have USB drivers for the Treo (for the 180/270/300)...no need to use IR); my PowerBook doesn't have IR either.
    I know the software is no longer available, but I have a treo 600 and an axim x50. I am using the trial and it works. I know of no other solution for me, and this already works. The axim has bluetooth, but the treo does not. They both have IR ports. They also both have an SDIO slot. I am not interested in upgrading the phone (treo), nor the pocketpc. I am a computer professional and do not desire upgrades for these devices. I just like being able to connect the axim to the net without a computer. The axim does not have wlan access, just bluetooth and irda.

I will buy the software if at all possible. Please anyone who knows how let me know. I require no technical support.

Thanks
    Dave
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12