Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    Folks,

    Just got a call from an ATT representative, asking if I had been experiencing connectivity issues with my Palm phone. I had returned a device under warranty about a month ago, due to a headphone jack failure. But, I have never called them about reception. I did try out one of their femtocells a few months ago, but returned it as it was unreliable at my house. I have had a very bad run of dropped calls recently but I chalked it up to being in a bad reception area on a cloudy day. After I answered his questions, he asked if I would be willing to try a phone with new software. He couldn't answer if it was another Pre Plus, or would be a Pre 2, nor could he answer if it was going to have WebOS version 2 loaded. He would only share that it would have the latest software loaded and they would like me to try it out to see if it improves reception. I will update this thread as I find out more.

    My profile, business user, heavy text and data user - bill paid by my employer.

    Cheers

    Rich
  2. #2  
    It could also mean they want you to try out another 'new' OS like the new Windows 7 device.
  3. #3  
    Well I am just curious because the rep seemed so intentionally vague about what you would be trying out. I'm not saying this is bogus, but I would need more information to really believe this. Keep us posted.


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  4. #4  
    Be careful. It sounds like one of those emails from the daughter of the former Prime Minister of a country in the Congo. hahahaha


    If they ask for your checking account number and routing info....HANG UP!!!
  5. #5  
    ^ LOL
  6.    #6  
    The caller didn't ask for any sensitive data, and he knew enough data about my device and account to give me confidence that they weren't phishing for anything. I was suspicious at first, too If a new phone shows up at my office tomorrow then I will know that it was legit.
  7.    #7  
    Also, the call was from 404-847-1080, which checks out as ATT wireless support.
  8. #8  
    yep, I'm betting he was offering you a different OS. He probably called you because the femtocell purchase would indicate that you are having network problems. They also have a record of every call that gets dropped, so they would be aware of the fact that you had a period where you had a noticeable increase in drops.

    If it makes you feel any better, I'm very confident that a different phone or OS wouldn't help. I've used AT&T on enough different handsets (and my last company was almost all AT&T) and dropped calls have always been an issue for AT&T. I think that will be proven again if/when Verizon gets the iPhone and it doesn't have the same issues with dropped calls and sound quality that the current iPhone is known for...

    If I were you I'd agree to anything they propose, as long as they would allow me to go back to my Pre at any time. But that's because I like playing with this stuff and I would love to be able to make side-by-side comparisons from first hand use.

    If that isn't enjoyable for you, then you probably wouldn't want to do that... IMHO
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    yep, I'm betting he was offering you a different OS. He probably called you because the femtocell purchase would indicate that you are having network problems. They also have a record of every call that gets dropped, so they would be aware of the fact that you had a period where you had a noticeable increase in drops.

    If it makes you feel any better, I'm very confident that a different phone or OS wouldn't help. I've used AT&T on enough different handsets (and my last company was almost all AT&T) and dropped calls have always been an issue for AT&T. I think that will be proven again if/when Verizon gets the iPhone and it doesn't have the same issues with dropped calls and sound quality that the current iPhone is known for...

    If I were you I'd agree to anything they propose, as long as they would allow me to go back to my Pre at any time. But that's because I like playing with this stuff and I would love to be able to make side-by-side comparisons from first hand use.

    If that isn't enjoyable for you, then you probably wouldn't want to do that... IMHO

    LOL, turns out I have a pretty bad gadget addiction, so always glad to try out a new phone.

    Here was my list of devices in my signature at XDA developers forum, before I switched to Pre [not including my Palm and Handspring PDA devices]

    Tilt 2
    Roms change every 2 weeks or so

    Standby/Work Phone
    Ipaq Glisten

    Retired:
    ATT FUZE
    Cingular 8525
    Ipaq 910
    Ipaq 510
    Blackjack
    Ipaq 6945
    Ipaq 6345
    Ipaq 6315
    Motorola MPX220
  10. #10  
    Maybe they just want to do a little brown-nosing after the reaming they got via Consumer Reports...

    AT&T Fingered as Worst Carrier By Consumer Reports
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Maybe they just want to do a little brown-nosing after the reaming they got via Consumer Reports...

    AT&T Fingered as Worst Carrier By Consumer Reports
    I wondered that too! I hope they follow through and give me something neat to try out. Then I won't have to figure out how to get work to buy me a Pre2.
  12. #12  
    No bars in more places. Gotta love AT&T.
  13. #13  
    Seeing how the only Pre 2 on-sale is the GSM unlocked one that works on AT&T, if they wanted you to stay on Palm, this is the phone they would send you.
  14.    #14  
    Well folks, no new phone at my office today
    Hopefully this wasn't one of my engineers playing a cruel trick on me. It is performance review week next week
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    No bars in more places. Gotta love AT&T.
    I thought it was 'I got bars in low places' ?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by GA400 View Post
    Well folks, no new phone at my office today
    Hopefully this wasn't one of my engineers playing a cruel trick on me. It is performance review week next week
    Oh, you should've mentioned that before. Now I do believe they're just yanking your chain.
  17.    #17  
    Well folks, guess what showed up in today's mail? It wasn't a prank. I have a new pre plus and touchstone from ATT, and instructions to send back my old phone, back cover and battery. I will attach some photos in a bit. Kinda bummed that it wasn't a Pre2, but I am hoping it might have webos 2.0 on it
    Off to research back up and restore procedures!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GA400; 12/08/2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: added attachements
  18.    #18  
    Moved over to the new phone. It is webos 1.4.5, not 2.0 Oh well, I have a phone that looks to be brand new, with all the accessories, and a new touchstone, so I am certainly happy for that. Reception improvement? Too early to tell.
  19. adebo's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #19  
    Too bad it is not a Pre 2, but you can't beat getting a free phone.
  20. #20  
    I guess if the reception improves then we'll know they did some tinkering with the phone. Wonder if AT&T is reaching out to other Pre Plus users as well...

Posting Permissions