1.    #1  
    Is there any way of using a Treo 270 as a wireless modem so as to connect an Ipaq PPC and browse web and mails with the Ipaq?
    I tried with my GPRS operator settings, but it does not work.
    Originally posted by edupin
    Is there any way of using a Treo 270 as a wireless modem so as to connect an Ipaq PPC and browse web and mails with the Ipaq?
    I tried with my GPRS operator settings, but it does not work.
    Hi!

Did you try wirelessmodem from http://www.notifymail.com/palm/?

Nick S.
  3.    #3  
    Yes. Does not work (or I don't know how to make it work and there's no support...)
    the iPaq wants to send AT commands to initialize the modem, which are not supported by the Treo. The Treo spits out ERROR and so Compaq thinks there's an error.

NO MATTER WHAT 'modem' you choose.
    Originally posted by PerihJ
    the iPaq wants to send AT commands to initialize the modem, which are not supported by the Treo. The Treo spits out ERROR and so Compaq thinks there's an error.

NO MATTER WHAT 'modem' you choose.
    Sounds like another case where Microsoft has laid down the law. Unfortunately many of the AT commands in the Treo's module have been disabled; there is nothing that WirelessModem could have done to get around this. The iPaq should let you set the AT commands that are sent down and the user should be able to disable the offending ones.
    Regedit commands can change Init strings.

see MS KB Q246773

... i don't remember a registry being in PocketPC....
  7.    #7  
    Ok thank you guys for your replies, it is clear now: impossible to use Treo as a modem, so I'll get a new GPRS phone to connect my Ipaq. Any other solution?
    Originally posted by edupin
    Ok thank you guys for your replies, it is clear now: impossible to use Treo as a modem, so I'll get a new GPRS phone to connect my Ipaq. Any other solution?
    Not impossible. I think sgruby is getting to the fact that people aren't READY for the Treo to act as a Wireless Modem.
    I know this thread was dead and buried, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I recently got an HP iPaq h4155 and decided to give WirelessModem a try. Miraculously, I got it working in the first shot. So, if there was a problem with the PPC OS, perhaps this was fixed in PPC 2003. Lining up the IR ports is a major drag, of course.

If anyone has a need for this and wants to know the exact settings I used, let me know.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.