Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Does the Rogers patch let you set up additional or alternative service providers? Has anyone tried it with Fido or any other carrier?
  2.    #2  
    I got the guts to try it. It works.
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by agahtan2
    I got the guts to try it. It works.
    What settings do I need to change to get the Rogers GPRS software working with my Fido SIM card? Thanks.
  4.    #4  
    apn: internet.fido.ca
    username: fido
    password: fido
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by agahtan2
    apn: internet.fido.ca
    username: fido
    password: fido
    What EXACTLY do I do (step by step) after putting in the FIDO SIM card and enabling GPRS with FIDO. I loaded the Rogers GPRS software successfully with Rogers.
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by agahtan2
    apn: internet.fido.ca
    username: fido
    password: fido
    Hi
    few questions:
    1) during the update did you have to use a differrent CurrentCarrier.pdb in the backup folder, like is suggested for the Asian update? or it worked entirely with only the Rogers updater?

    2) did you run the updater on the Mac or PC?

    3) Does your Blazer browser work with the Fido GPRS?

    4) What's the reliability of Fido compared to the Rogers service problems we are reading about here?

    thanks
  7.    #7  
    I had to install the Asian carrier file.

    After installing it, I went into network preferences and created a GPRS connection. The only think you need to input is the APN, username and password. It may even work without the username and password.

    Blazer works without any changes.

    I've only had it running for a few hours but seems to work reliably.

    If you answer a call while using the GPRS service then data will get interrupted.

    Now, can anyone help me use WirelessModem with the GPRS patch?
  8. #8  
    This worked for me with after trying a few different things. I wish you good luck
    Make sure you have GPRS access on your Fido account.
    1. Charge charge charge. Full battery! NOT close to full.
    2. Download patch file CurrentCarrier.pdb from http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/149-1.htm and place it in your hotsync backup folder. I actually ran a hotsync and installed it but don't know if I needed to.
    3. Download GPRS software from http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wire...o/software.asp
    4. Run software and follow directions.
    5. It will say it that you are using SingTel as your provider. Say yes!
    6. Follow instructions on screen and Treo
    7. Once everything is installed, go into blazer. Don't try to update page.
    8.Hit the menu button on screen (bottom left)
    9. Choose options and then newtwork pref.
    10. I left service as untitled, Choose GPRS under drop down menu. You may have to go to details and unlock this screen if you don't get the drop down menu. User name is fido. Password is fido. APN is internet.fido.ca
    11. Hit connect
    12. If your lucky, like me, you'll see a web page downloading. Hit the home button on the screen to go to the Blazer home page.
    Last edited by legree; 09/11/2002 at 08:12 PM.
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by legree
    This worked for me with after trying a few different things. I wish you good luck
    Make sure you have GPRS access on your Fido account.
    1. Charge charge charge. Full battery! NOT close to full.
    2. Download patch file CurrentCarrier.pdb from http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/149-1.htm and place it in your hotsync backup folder. I actually ran a hotsync and installed it but don't know if I needed to.
    3. Download GPRS software from http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wire...o/software.asp
    4. Run software and follow directions.
    5. It will say it that you are using SingTel as your provider. Say yes!
    6. Follow instructions on screen and Treo
    7. Once everything is installed, go into blazer. Don't try to update page.
    8.Hit the menu button on screen (bottom left)
    9. Choose options and then newtwork pref.
    10. I left service as untitled, Choose GPRS under drop down menu. You may have to go to details and unlock this screen if you don't get the drop down menu. User name is fido. Password is fido. APN is internet.fido.ca
    11. Hit connect
    12. If your lucky, like me, you'll see a web page downloading. Hit the home button on the screen to go to the Blazer home page.
    I'm already connected with Rogers. I want to be able to connect with either Rogers or FIDO without any major overhauls on my Treo. I just want to know how to get GPRS services when I use the FIDO chip when going to the USA (FIDO is much cheaper for roaming). Thanks.
  10. #10  
    You can use both chip without any problems. Simple create a new conenction called FIDO GPRS or something like that and use the fido/fido/internet.fido.ca settings. Make sure that you have GPRS service enabled on your FIDO account.

    Originally posted by asj7


    I'm already connected with Rogers. I want to be able to connect with either Rogers or FIDO without any major overhauls on my Treo. I just want to know how to get GPRS services when I use the FIDO chip when going to the USA (FIDO is much cheaper for roaming). Thanks.
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by asj7


    I'm already connected with Rogers. I want to be able to connect with either Rogers or FIDO without any major overhauls on my Treo. I just want to know how to get GPRS services when I use the FIDO chip when going to the USA (FIDO is much cheaper for roaming). Thanks.
    If you purchased your Treo in Canada, from Radio Shack, Future Shope or Rogers, you will not be able to use your Fido chip in it.

    Rogers has the exclusive rights to Treo in Canada and have locked all of the Treos imported to Canada.

    If you wish to use a Fido AND a Rogers SIM card, you need to get your Treo from the US, WITHOUT a service contract.
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by eldonmcd


    If you purchased your Treo in Canada, from Radio Shack, Future Shope or Rogers, you will not be able to use your Fido chip in it.

    Rogers has the exclusive rights to Treo in Canada and have locked all of the Treos imported to Canada.

    If you wish to use a Fido AND a Rogers SIM card, you need to get your Treo from the US, WITHOUT a service contract.
    I know this. I have an unlocked 270 direct from Handspring! And anyways, there are people who can unlock Roger's 180s for around $CDN80.
  13. dpf
    dpf is offline
    dpf's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    #13  
    I went through the motions of upgrading using the Rogers patch and the modified currentcarrier file and everything went fine. I activated the GPRS service with Fido yesterday and for whatever reason cannot seem to logon to the gprs network. any thoughts?
  14. #14  
    What error message do you get?

    the info should be:

    User Name: fido
    password: fido
    APN: internet.fido.ca

    Originally posted by dpf
    I went through the motions of upgrading using the Rogers patch and the modified currentcarrier file and everything went fine. I activated the GPRS service with Fido yesterday and for whatever reason cannot seem to logon to the gprs network. any thoughts?
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  15. #15  
    Does anyone know how, or who I can pay to unlock a Rogers AT&T Treo 270 from Canada. I've been looking anywhere, but to no avail - I want to sell it on eBay - but It will be really hard to sell a locked one at a good price. Please let me know!

    I appreciate it!

    Gabriel
  16. #16  
    try rogers I heard they will unlock...but it could cost as much as 250.00


    also if you want to by unlocked in canada try zero gravity..in minnipeg I bought my treo 180 for 299.00 unlocked 1 week ago..slipped in my fido card and wowo everything is great.

    also handheldcanada.com has unlocked treos too.
    It's Simple really..........
    ...............Forgive
  17. #17  
    I'm sure you guys know that Rogers will unlock the device for you for the low-low fee of $250.

    Not to mention everyone already shelled out $1000 for the device. ROGERS: You sneaky bastards.. as if you don't already make enough money.

    While were on the topic of Rogers, here's something to mention:

    GPRS users in the Waterloo region who had 1.1.1 on their Treo found the device to re-set the connection randomly.. to fix, you had to upgrade to 1.1.2. No one was notified of the change.. Broken? I think so.

Posting Permissions