1.    #1  
    Installed the upgrade on a loaner (for product review), managed to get only two or three days' work of browsing before I had to return it. Now I'm spoiled Had trouble with AvantGo though, never did get it working, even when I browsed using my ME45 as the "modem'. Was only problem -- Blazer worked well. Initially had problems with voice calls when I was connected to the Interent. Couldn't call out, didn't have a dial tone. Callers' voices came in weak, even on hands-free, although they were still audible. However, found both problems gone the next day Go figure.

Regards
    mine works fine. installed gprs last week and have been using it since then. installation automatically detects globe as my carrier. avantgo modem sync works as well (port 80).

i havent been able to send mms yet though... am trying out the pixer software - but it keeps asking for email address to send mms to (tried putting in cell number - and it doesnt work)

thank god gprs is still free
  3.    #3  
    Wait, did you say the install found Globe? Is strange, I think mine found SingTel but that was about a week ago so I can't be 100% sure.

In any event, I called Globe Telecom customer support, and they said that the Treo wasn't MMS-certified. I don't know if that means they haven't tested it, or that they've tested it and can't figure out how to get MMS on it. Sayang, would've wanted to check out Traffic Cam. Ohwell, maybe the next patch?

Regards
    yup! it found globe right away. install process palang... it already prompted me dat globe was my service provider. it also automatically set up my network preference... globe gprs. I did call up globe also to ask abt treo mms... apparently they don't even know treo... they kept asking wat dat was- nokia ba or ericson!?!? anyway, other than not being able to send mms (big deal!) i'm quite satisfied with d gprs ( am sending this reply using my treo gprs right now.) just hope it stays free!
  5.    #5  
    Interesting!, that might mean that, while the install was officially meant for Singapore and NZ, it should also work perfectly with Globe. Wonder about Smart.

As to Globe customer support, the lady who answered my call masked her possible ignorance of the Treo by simply saying that the only MMS-certified handsets were the T68* and the N7650. I wouldn't care that much either about sending MMS from the Treo -- heck, I don't even own one, having returned the loaner -- although getting Traffic Cam would'a been cool.

Regards
    fyi... singtel is part owner of globe. this is probably why they included globe already in the setup. you should get ur self a treo.... its worth it.
    Hi! anyone of you got to use an e-mail program with your treo to log into a pop3 mail server? I am able to receive but cannot send messages with my treo. any settings you may know? i am using one touch which came with the unit.
  8.    #8  
    Didn't have the Treo long enough to test sending email, but 1) I do know that it works because someone sent me mail from his Treo (or so he claims ) and 2) people have been able to send from their Palms using Eudora or some other mail client. The latter connect via IR thru their GPRS-enabled phones to establish the Internet connection. Anyway, they set their SMTP to smtp.globetel.com.ph for Globe subscribers, and I think it's smtp.info.com.ph for Smart. You'll have to verify the latter from Smart subscribers. Don't bother asking Infocom customer support, they don't count you as Infocom an subscriber.

Regards
    If I use a prepaid Globe card with my 270 in the Phils, will GPRS be active or does the plan have to be postpaid?
    i'm using both one touch mail (which came with the treo install program) and eudora mail. I'm more comfortable using eudora (however, once in a while i use one touch - simply because it has a better filtering system - there r instances when i have incoming mails with big attachement - and for some reason - eudora rejects the whole message - then i shift to one touch to check maibox again - and it downloads it.) I still can't open the attachement though - at least i get to check who sent it and what subject is abt.

i can send emails using both programs. You just have to configure the Pop3 incoming and outgoing server (SMTP). check with your service provider for these details. (or you can just get these settings on your desktop email program).
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by mpaci1
    If I use a prepaid Globe card with my 270 in the Phils, will GPRS be active or does the plan have to be postpaid?
    Some months back, I saw a poster at Semicon in Megamall offering a pre-paid starter kit, w/c consisted of an Ericsson (forget w/c model, but I don't think it was the T68i) and a pre-paid GPRS card. The latter included was worth PhP500 alone, and had a "load" of 350. Dunno if that meant that it gave you PhP350 worth of voice and text, and the rest was for GPRS. Never did have time to ask around.

Regards.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by chuaaa
    i can send emails using both programs. You just have to configure the Pop3 incoming and outgoing server (SMTP). check with your service provider for these details. (or you can just get these settings on your desktop email program).
    Won't work in most cases. Most SMTP mail servers don't allow relaying -- e.g., you can't use ePLDT's SMTP servers if your Internet connection is via an ISP other Infocom or (maybe) MyDSL, and you can't use GlobeNet's SMTP servers if you aren't using their Internet gateway. You'll have to use an SMTP server within your Internet gateway.

Regards
    Originally posted by Silverlokk

Won't work in most cases. Most SMTP mail servers don't allow relaying -- e.g., you can't use ePLDT's SMTP servers if your Internet connection is via an ISP other Infocom or (maybe) MyDSL, and you can't use GlobeNet's SMTP servers if you aren't using their Internet gateway. You'll have to use an SMTP server within your Internet gateway.

Regards

This is weird. I've been using multimail before and connecting via dial up to pacific internet to get my mail from Infocom with my Vx using IR. I tried to use the suggestion of using smtp of globe but i get an a error. Is there a possibility that my upgrade to GPRS has changed the capability of the treo.

Eudora? do they have something for the treo too? I can send mail through pixer but i don't want to have another e-mail address na naman! any settings you can give which will work. I checked with my mail settings but they are all correct and still no connection.
  14.    #14  
    You shouldn't have any trouble retrieving mail from any POP/IMAP server no matter what gateway you're using. I frequently pick up mail from outside the Infocom network while I'm connected to Infocom. It's when you try to use another SMTP gateway when you could have problems, in most cases.

Waitaminute:

This is weird. I've been using multimail before and connecting via dial up to pacific internet to get my mail from Infocom with my Vx using IR. I tried to use the suggestion of using smtp of globe but i get an a error. Is there a possibility that my upgrade to GPRS has changed the capability of the treo.
    What kind of error do you get? And where do you enter the SMTP of Globe?

Regards
    You will be able to send via smtp by configuring the smtp server AS WELL as login and password. This is with Multimail. I assume that any other email programmes that has this functionality will work as well.
    Are you guy using Treo 270 or 180?

Where can I download the GPRs patch?

am using treo 270. but the patch should work for both 180 and 270. look around this site.. the patch is somewhere here. in fact ... you should see it in one of the articles on the main page of this site www.treocentral.com