1.    #1  
    I went through and did the update (Whew, everything came out fine).

I'm having a bit of trouble getting this connection figured out though.

I called up T-Mobile and had them activate my internet stuff - got the 5mb / 19.99 plan.

Going into Prefs / Network, I select "T-Mobile Internet", and click on connect. I get the "signing on" message, but it gives me a message "The GPRS connection has failed or GPRS has not been enabled on your account. If the problem persists please contact your service provider. Error 40CE"

Now while typing this, I was just fooling around, and I noticed that if i select "T-Mobile VPN" as opposed to "T-Mobile Internet", it will sign on properly.
    They've probably assigned you to the wrong T-Mobile internet plan. This happened to me as well. T-Mobile has something called T-Mobile Internet VPN, which I assume is for people who want to connect to corporate networks.

I think the T-Mobile customer service folks assign the VPN plan by default. Call them up and ask them for the GPRS data plan and not VPN. They're both priced the same and offer the same amount of data, which is why it's confusing.

After they activate the GPRS data, you'll receive a series of SMS messages and you should be all set. You shouldn't have to make any changes to your Treo.
  3.    #3  
    Aha! I'll give them a call and have them change it. The gal I talked to this afternoon didn't know too much about the different plans. (As a matter of fact, she said "I hope you know more about this stuff than I do")
  4.    #4  
    Well that turned out to be the problem! I talked to someone at T-Mobile who know what he was doing, and he told me that yes, the gal this afternoon had set me up for VPN service. He switched me over to the regular one.

About 10 minutes later I got 4 or 5 SMSes about my SIM being updated. After turning wireless of and then on again, I was able to connect!

Now I just have to figure out this stuff with Blazer and the Proxies and all that.

As I usederstand it, the best bet is to go to getmorespeed.tmobile.com and turn off the accellerator or something? I'll have to go back through these threads and see if I can find where I read that.
    The Difference between T-Mobile Internet and T-Mobile VPN is that with the T-Mobile VPN you receive a public addressable IP address rather than a T-Mobile private address. The reason they do this is to provide users the ability VPN or tunnel into their corporate networks. So I doubt your problem was because of this. In reality or for some uses the T-Mobile VPN network is better. But only the advanced users need it. For example, with the T-Mobile VPN network I can ping my Treo from the desktop. With the regular T-Mobile, since I have a private IP address (192.168.x.x) I cannot. By the way I am using the T-Mobile VPN and it works fine.
    robert
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I too have the VPN plan, and as long as the speed remains the same as the "Internet" plan I'm content to have VPN. I am also happy that the VPN plan does not block port 25 traffic, and I'm suspicious that the "Internet" plan might, since a lot of ISPs are starting to block port 25 to anything but their own mail servers to prevent subscribers from relaying off of other mail servers. In my business though, I need to be able to telnet to client mail servers to test things for customers.

If anyone one the T-Mobile Internet plan has pTelnet, could you try to telnet to port 25 of mail.caledonia.net and let me know if this is allowed in the "Internet" plan?

Thanks

Danita
    I didn't realize that the T-mobile Internet plan gave you a private class address. Thanks for the info. I've switched over to the VPN plan and am using the Centricom Movian Palm VPN client to VPN back to our corporate network.

This works great, as I can use PalmVNC on top of the VPN client to remotely administer servers in our data center.
    Originally posted by tushar78
    I didn't realize that the T-mobile Internet plan gave you a private class address. Thanks for the info. I've switched over to the VPN plan and am using the Centricom Movian Palm VPN client to VPN back to our corporate network.

This works great, as I can use PalmVNC on top of the VPN client to remotely administer servers in our data center.
    I'm curious, what applications can you run on the palm (other than VNC) to make use of your local intranet? We have a windows-based intranet (Exchange server, etc) and I wonder what kind of palm apps are available to access email, file servers, etc.

Thanks.
    For managing or accessing Windows-based servers, there are a couple.

Two useful apps I've found for are PalmVNC - used to gain console-based control of servers and pTelnet - used to manage routers and network equipment.

If you don't mind using an HTML-based tool, StarRemote has a good one called StarAdmin. It's not made specifically for PalmOS. It'll run on anything that has a browser. I use EudoraWeb to run it on my Treo.

It's basically an ASP front-end/SQL back-end that uses VBScript and WMI to allow you to do all sorts of management functions. i.e. View server event logs, kill Windows processes, re-start services, re-start servers, run command line commands, etc. Go to StarAdmin Features for all the details.

And no, I don't work for them. I just think that they have a killer product that works as advertised for a change.