1.    #1  
    How did you get AOL Anywhere working? When I go to sign it depends a modem and a telephone number.

Maybe there are two different programs. Help somebody!
    robert
    I installed the palm app from aim.com. It is called aim11.prc. Its *not* the one for use with the Palm VII or whatever, but the generic one.

It works great on GPRS - though I have no clue how much data it exchanges with the AIM server - i.e. how fast its eating into my bit bucket. I'm using it sparingly for now. Great for those long meetings ...
    I too downloaded the app from the link on the Handspring.com page.

It works great and you can even leave it on with the phone lid closed.
    I am too wondering how much data AIM takes up when I keep it connected. But doesn't Voicestream/T-Mobile always indicate free AIM service on their phones? I'm wondering if connecting to AIM using their T-Mobil Internet 5MB plan on a Treo is free too. I know people who have the Nokia Gold phone with AIM built in using VM/T-M can stay connected to AIM 24/7 completely free of any charges.

- LL
    AIM on the nokia gold phone uses SMS to send/receive messages, meaning each message sent or received with the phone uses one of your SMS message credits.

The AIM for palm app uses traditional TCP/IP just like the desktop AIM client. Therefore some amount of network traffic may be occuring (e.g. buddy list status updates) even when you're not actively sending/receiving messages.

I seriously doubt AIM is "free" on VM/TM... included with some phones/packages perhaps, but free??
    Originally posted by twortley

It works great on GPRS - though I have no clue how much data it exchanges with the AIM server - i.e. how fast its eating into my bit bucket. I'm using it sparingly for now. Great for those long meetings ...
    Why don't you use the version of AIM that uses the SMS service of the 270, called "Quick Chat" ?
    The program can be found at Palmgear, it shareware ($12.00 I think) but it does not use a data connection, so there are no minuets used, and nothing is taken from the "bit-bucket" just ping pong messages, and those are cheap... and you can be connected all day without GPRS or tying up the phone.

It works for me, your mileage may vary...
    Originally posted by larryk

Why don't you use the version of AIM that uses the SMS service of the 270, called "Quick Chat" ?
    The program can be found at Palmgear, it shareware ($12.00 I think) but it does not use a data connection, so there are no minuets used, and nothing is taken from the "bit-bucket" just ping pong messages, and those are cheap... and you can be connected all day without GPRS or tying up the phone.

It works for me, your mileage may vary...
    I have tried the demo version of Quick Chat and it is incredibly slow!! I don't mean slow in sending and receiving messages, but rather slow in its actual function. For example, if I hit the menu button, I have to wait 4-5 seconds for the menu to appear. Everything is that slow.

Did you have a similar experience? If so, how were you able to make it work for you?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by silverado

I have tried the demo version of Quick Chat and it is incredibly slow!! I don't mean slow in sending and receiving messages, but rather slow in its actual function. For example, if I hit the menu button, I have to wait 4-5 seconds for the menu to appear. Everything is that slow.

Did you have a similar experience? If so, how were you able to make it work for you?

Thanks.
    I purchased Quickchat last night after dealing with using the Voicestream (Now T-Mobile) AIM gateway though the built in SMS client the Treo came with for a few months. It wasn't bad but I really wanted a better way.

I haven't found it to be slow on mine (A Treo 180g) except for a pause while it's sending or receiving. That's no different then when sending SMS messages through the built in client however.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the client and would recommend it if you want something a little nicer for the AIM gateway that Voicestream supplies without stepping up to GPRS and the full blown AIM client.

What annoys me about it though is that something like this was not included with the Treo or a free download for Voicestream customers (considering how much they advertised AIM on your phone). Oh well.
    Originally posted by silverado

Everything is that slow.
    Nope, I do not have that problem, it works as fast as any SMS message. I usually see the response in a matter of seconds...
    I've been alternating back and forth between using aim11.prc on gprs and using a purchased copy of quickchat.

I've pretty much settled on quickchat. although the application doesn't perform particularly well, it seems sluggish and only responds to stylus events or menu selections, it does have some improvements over aim11.prc.

What I like most about quickchat is that you'll get notifications of the arrival of the sms-based IM messages, regardless of whether the treo is on or whether you're in the quickchat app. w/ aim11.prc, you won't know someone aim'ed you UNLESS you're actively in the AIM app at that time. Otherwise, you don't see the IM until the next time you launch the AIM app.

The t-mobile AIM gateway seems to perform pretty well and doing AIM over SMS (w/ the quickchat overlay) seems to more flexible than aim11.prc.