1.    #1  
    Sorry to sound dumb but what is GPRS?????

Thanks.....
    GPRS is an enhanced data service that runs on top of GSM networks. It provides persistent connections rather than dial up access and you dont need an ISP to get to the net. Your wireless carrier becomes your ISP.

GPRS enabled phones can support up to 8 channels of data transfer. It depends on the handset how many channels they support - Treos are 2+1 meaning two up and one down. The channel width varies by carrier but is typically 8-11k per channel.

The beauty of GPRS is the ability to have a very good email experience with trickle in email (very similar to Push email), instant messaging and reliable fast connections to the Net for browsing etc.

Try looking around in www.gsmworld.com for more info.
    I just activated it on my Treo this weekend, here's some notes:

(1) Connecting to the network takes 12 secs instead of the old 50-70 sec dialup

(2) Once connected, you don't have to disconnect again. That little blip on the top right is going all the time and the extra power usage is neglible.

(3) You can have the Treo in your pocket (live and connected in a sleep state), flip it open and browse / check your email etc, immediately without having to reconnect. It rocks!

(4) The best part - you aint paying per minute, you're paying on a data usage plan. (Mine's 15MB for $13USD each month)

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    Originally posted by snapperfish

(4) The best part - you aint paying per minute, you're paying on a data usage plan. (Mine's 15MB for $13USD each month)

-W
    Hi Snapperfish,

Who is the provider of this service? It's a great value compared to what I've seen in the US.

Thanks.

PS. Any chance I too could get an eval copy of snappermail? I can't wait to try it!!
    Well I'm in New Zealand and using Vodafone. It get's even cheaper the more MB you buy per month.

The best deal in the states would probably be in Canada - if tha makes sense! www.fido.ca have an UNLIMITED GPRS plan for $32US ($50CDN) which includes roaming into USA.

If you know anyone North of the border, it's worth a shot... heck go take 5 hour drive up to Montreal and sign up

SnapperMail public beta will be out next week. Stay tuned... sign up on the download page and well notify you of the release.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...