1.    #1  
    The reason why I left Rogers in the first place was dropped calls. I have always found CDMA just more reliable.

Can anyone here talk to me about their experience with Rogers?
    Here's a site that you can compare coverage maps of all carriers across the country. I know it won't do justification for % of dropped calls but it's something. Up until last year I was building cell phone sites for all the major carriers in Alberta and we're almost at the point where it shouldn't be an issue anymore. Roger's very extensively (at the end of last year) was beefing up their HSPA and putting in massive amounts of protection hops(duplicate microwave dishes) to reduce the amount of dropped calls. They have also been very extensive in over saturation, in city areas....more sites everywhere with less callers per site to help solve this problem. They (Telus and Bell included) have also decided to run seperate DC power and fiber optic lines up the towers instead of the old co-axial TX(transmission) lines, which makes the 3G networks what they are today, as well as tower-top mounted radios, put as close as possible to the antennas to prevent 'loss'.
    http://www.comparecellular.com/coverage-maps/
    Last edited by sledge007; 10/27/2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: forgot the link
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I'm on rogers and I've never had a problem with dropped calls.
    Maybe that's just me though.
    Anyway, cdma no longer exists in canada so you're going to have to switch sooner or later whether it's with rogers or bellus
  4. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Totally not true at all. There is still tons of CDMA, but yes, they are moving to GSM slowly. It will still be around for awhile.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    cdma no longer exists with Rogers would be a little more accurate.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    ^^Nor has it ever so far as I recall. Rogers was TDMA back in the days after analog.
    I used to be on Fido, and actually I have to say Rogers does have the better network. My friend's HSPA Pre Plus had full reception in my basement parking lot, so did my Nokia, but not my Bell Pre.

Only thing I like about Bell is US text is free.
  8.    #8  
    HSBA Pre Pre? Was it running on Bell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    HSBA Pre Pre? Was it running on Bell?
    Rogers... I was saying both the HSPA Pre Plus and my old Nokia had better reception on Rogers than my Bell Pre(s).
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  10.    #10  
    Ah, interesting. I have to admit, I'm almost persuaded. But the reason why I left rogers was because I was in the middle of a super important business call, in the middle of a field, and it cut out on me and I couldn't get the call back. The call was time sensitive. Messed be over big time.

the next day I moved to Bell and I've ben fine ever since.

I want to believe, that's why I started the thread. But I don't want to get burned again. I just can't.
    Were you in a rural area? Bell does work better in those. Whereas Rogers is mostly urban.

As for reason not to stay with Bell...

Finally proof that Bell Mobility IS THE WORST!!

But I mean a lot of complaints also are fault of the customer too, so take it with a grain of salt. So far my experience with Bell Mobility is OK, but no thanks to Bell Home Phone for me.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  12.    #12  
    I also really miss the Rogers voicemail system. Alot!
    i hope all carriers go gsm "sim cards" someday.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    i hope all carriers go gsm "sim cards" someday.
    They will kind of.

Bell and Telus in Canada just switched to UMTS which is very similar to GSM (its actually better anyways and more open)

They will be slowly moving away from CDMA towards Sim Card phones on UMTS, and then eventually in the future completely disbanding CDMA. Then Canada will be entirely "Sim Card" cell networks.

In the USA, both Verizon and Sprint are also setting up UMTS with LTE networks.

So eventually they too will be moving towards Sim card based systems.

It will take them longer, as their scale is huge compared to Bell and Telus in Canada (plus the Canadian government just pays for and subsidizes all of this stuff, American companies arent so lucky to have such willing taxpayers haha)
    and to answer the question, I have heard that Telus and Bell have a bigger network all over Canada, but CDMA doesnt penetrate buildings or structures as well.

So in cities and underground and in elevators, Rogers will work better.

But as far as cell tower coverage, Bell and Telus are better.

Although some areas dont have Bell coverage that have Rogers, you really have to look at the coverage maps offered by both companies and see whats best for your area.
    Don't forget the very important factor: ROGERS is willing to make deals to keep your business, Bell not as much, Telus not at all!

The plan i have on rogers is so insane I don't dare post it on this forum because i am scared to lose it...
  17.    #17  
    Was on a call with my business partner who's on Rogers. Her phone dropped our call while she was standing still in an office building in downtown Toronto.

There are things I like better about Rogers, but I think I'll wait for them to build more towers.