1.    #1  
    I've been trying to use the Treo as an external GPRS modem to my notebook, using Sgrubby's wireless modem.

I can actually get it to connect to my GPRS provider (M1 in Singapore). And I can even ping some machines from my notebook through the Treo. But alas, I can't get my browser to work, nor my email to work. I've tried all kinds of configurations, but I just can't surf!!! Anyone else had any luck using the new GPRS Treo as an external modem? Any advice, especially from those in Singapore using M1, would be most appreciated!

I suppose you have to change one of the following parameters :

- DNS
    - proxy server
    where can I find the Sgrubby's wireless modem?

thanks
  4.    #4  
    You can get this on Palm Gear. Do a search for it.
    I've been able to do this too, and run into much of the same problem.

I connect successfully. I am given an IP and DNS numbers, same as I would on the Treo.

I just don't get my default gateway set properly (it is set as SAME as IP address, and not the proper one for the apn).

Issuing route command to reset the default gateway don't help.

BTW: I can use Treo as CSD modem, no problem, with my laptop.
    Once the GPRS upgrade becomes available in the US or I have time and desire to risk an unsupported upgrade, I'll install it and try to find out more information.

WirelessModem works fine; it is simply the GPRS settings from the laptop that are incorrect (WirelessModem is simply a bridge, it has no intelligence to it).
    While port do you select on the wireless modem program?

I've tried "GSM Radio" but it just says unable to open serial port.
    "direct radio" crashes the Treo.
    I assume "wireless modem" is GSM CSD.
    I have a feeling I asked a very stupid question above. I guess you probably set the network connection to GPRS and then select "wireless modem" on the wmodem program.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by agahtan2
    I have a feeling I asked a very stupid question above. I guess you probably set the network connection to GPRS and then select "wireless modem" on the wmodem program.
    Yes, you use wireless modem, but you must make sure that the GPRS connection is not on. i.e. you must be disconnected from GPRS or you will get an error opening serial port.
    Network connectivity settings are primarily for the laptop; i.e. it doesn't matter what the Treo is set to.
    Could someone please mail me the Demo of wireless modem. I know I can buy it without support but I need the demo first.
    I really need to connect my Treo to my notebook via IRDA else I have a carry my Nokia and my Treo and then swap sim cards every time I need to connect to the office using the laptop.
    Many Thanks

Howard
    Don't waste your time trying and connect your laptop trough Tréo with wireless modem: it does not work. I tried a lots of time and people here and at Wireless modem confirmed it is impossible: Treo lacks something to be recognized as an IR modem from laptops or PDAs
    I finally sold my Treo and bought a GPRS phone to connect my Ipaq pocketPC and it works fine.
    I loved my Treo but was desappointed by GPRS upgrade connection speed: not much difference with GSM.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    That's not at all true. I use TreoModem as a wireless modem with my Toshiba Windows XP laptop through the IR port. In fact I just used it on a trip I took.

Some caveats: it only works with CSD not GPRS; it's pretty slow; you need a driver called an "IR bridge" to allow for a virtual serial port-- that is not included in base XP support. (Search for other threads on this board for a link to download this driver for XP.)

Finally, I think other people have tried unsuccessfully to get it work using the USB cable, but it definitely works using the IR port.
    Yup ! WirelessModem for Treo works! I have used it successfully with my Win 2K, with the IrCOMM2K installed first. I tried this software when it is just released.

Did anyone still keep the installation guide of this WirelessModem? cos I cant find it in the website as it is no more support now.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Originally posted by tuen
    I've been trying to use the Treo as an external GPRS modem to my notebook, using Sgrubby's wireless modem.

I can actually get it to connect to my GPRS provider (M1 in Singapore). And I can even ping some machines....

Could you describe your configuration ? Are you sure that you are connected through GPRS ?

1. I've been using Treo w/ Wireles modem without problem
    My configuration is : IBM Thinkpad, Win2K, IRDA and IRCOMM2k drivers.

2. I tried to connect with GPRS - I have connected sucesfully and everythings fine, expect I guess that I am actually CDS dialing.

Namely, I use regular "Dial-up networking" connection (what else ?) on my laptop. and it does classical ATD dialing. (I event don't have a chance to configure APN on my laptop. So, my conclusion is that I am still using CSD

I don't have enough knowledge of GPRS but I guess we need something different (AT commands, drivers or ?...) on laptop side ? I'll try to borrow one of Erriscon GPRS mobile phones and check how it works.

Kreso