1.    #1  
    To all Treo owners on the Telstra GSM network...

According to the Telstra Mobile Fax & Data team (1800 636 785) the Treo is not currently approved by Telstra for GPRS. This means that they will not activate the GPRS service with this handset.

I suspect that the only way around this is to have GPRS activated on an approved handset and then move the SIM to a Treo.

Can any other Telstra users confirm this?

Alternatively hold off on the GPRS update until Handspring & Telstra sort this crap out.

Regards,
    David
    I used to have a GPRS connection on T39 and moved the SIM card to TREO 270 (updated with GPRS patch). My Treo connects and run on their Network since last Saturday without a problem
    (so far).

The Stange things is , they sell the TREO 270 in their shop.
    Originally posted by davburns
    According to the Telstra Mobile Fax & Data team (1800 636 785) the Treo is not currently approved by Telstra for GPRS. This means that they will not activate the GPRS service with this handset.
    Move to New Zealand mate

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Why don't you just tell em you got some other phone and let them activate it. Then use your Treo - should work fine.

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
  4.    #4  
    Fellow Telstra users...

Well I now have a GPRS enabled Treo on Telstra MobileNet but it is not at all reliable.

I'm frequently seeing 40CD and 40CE connection errors as well as connection hangs whilst using Blazer.

Prior to this I spoke to Brightpoint (Oz distributor) about local carrier approvals - in the case of Telstra it is currently being tested. They reckon the GPRS 1.1 patch should be out in about four weeks.

This no doubt assumes that the newer patch contains updated Wismo code (later than the current FIX533d093 revision) which will interoperate more reliably with the Telstra (Ericsson powered) GPRS network.

What fun!

Regards,
    David
  5.    #5  
    Telstra users...

How many of you are seeing occassional GPRS connection problems and session hangs? I can't use Blazer for more than 2 - 3 minutes at that point even a humble ping fails - takes a while to get things going again.

If you have GPRS working reliably (eg connection always works etc), which GPRS phone were you using prior to connecting the Treo?

Telstra have hinted that the activation process varies according to the phone - although I can't see how this would change the basic GPRS connectivity.

I'm suspecting a GPRS parameter problem - we'll probably just have to wait for the 1.1 patch for this to get fixed.

Regards,
    David
    Thanks for the updates guys. It sounds like we just keep waiting for the 1.1 (and Telstra approval) to happen

Dave P.