1.    #1  
    Does anyone know why Handspring couldn't release the GPRS software officially around the world at the same time? Do they just like pissing people off or what? They just love "dangling carrots".
    They need to get approval from each of the carriers to ensure that it is compatible.

That's the official stance, though I bet part of the reason is they want to test it widely and soften the blow on their customer support lines.
    Handspring knew that the adventurous types would jump and get the upgrade as soon as it was available. We are all unofficial beta testers.

Originally posted by KRamsauer
    They need to get approval from each of the carriers to ensure that it is compatible.

That's the official stance, though I bet part of the reason is they want to test it widely and soften the blow on their customer support lines.
    May also be Handspring's frustration with the carriers.

"No, we'll only release it in Singapore, you carriers can continue to procrastiate for another few months"

For example, I can't see Voicestream/T-Mobile being enthused about the Treo, with them launching their own branded GPRS enabled Pocket PC Phone the last month.
    Originally posted by twortley
    For example, I can't see Voicestream/T-Mobile being enthused about the Treo, with them launching their own branded GPRS enabled Pocket PC Phone the last month.
    I agree with this. In fact, if you go to T-Mobile's site, the info about T-Mobile Internet/Zones specifically notes that only PDAs that use PocketPC OS will be able to use their GPRS internet service. I just don't see them cooperating with Handspring to customize the upgrade to work with their accelerator, for example. It might even be why they use it. And keep in mind that any deal Handspring had with Voicestream probably didn't survive the Telekom buyout of VS. I was actually going to wait a while to get the "official" upgrade because despite all the success stories, the failures seem pretty dire. However, I am now starting to think the wait may be a long one. If someone knows something else, I think there are a lot of folks on the edge of the cliff who would like to hear it before we jump.
    DT has owned VS for a good long while now. I think long before the Treo was created/planned.
    http://www.internetnews.com/isp-news...e.php/8_420981

It might even be why they use it. And keep in mind that any deal Handspring had with Voicestream probably didn't survive the Telekom buyout of VS.
    We have heard 8 weeks until version 1.1
    Despite the fact that conspiracy theories are more fun to talk about, thanks for the info. The mundane explanations are usually the most accurate. I for one can wait for 1.1 (I think...)