Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Well, I bit the bullet and installed the upgrade.

It worked like a charm. I placed the .pdb file in the backup directory (after backing up the whole Handspring directory). Ran the update. Each time the software asked me to press the reset button on the screen, I performed a reset using the stylus.

Used the alternate proxy server, and Blazer works perfectly.

Even AOL IM works. I have setup Corsoft Aileron to automatically download EMails every 5 minutes. This is quite awesome.

Kudos to the folks at TreoCentral for providing the workaround. You guys nailed it!!!!
    Wow, you download emails every 5 minutes? I guess you choose the unlimited download GPRS plan?...
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Well... I changed it to once an hour after some thought....
    I have mune set to download frequenlty. With GPRS, unlike dial up data, being charged by the MB means you can check email as frequently as you want. You are not charged for the connection time, only the bits transmitted.

So, set it back to 5 minute checking. It will not cost you any more.
    Other than the data amount goes up, since there is an overhead with each request even if no e-mails are transfered.

No idea on the overhead though. Any ideas?
    Originally posted by NYMaestro

Even AOL IM works. I have setup Corsoft Aileron to automatically
    What do you use for AOL IM, is it the AIM prc or the full AOL prc? I've had to hard reset my treo everytime I tried the AIM prc, and I can't get the AOL prc to work without trying to dial an AOL number.

Thanks.
    Have successfully got my Treo updated and connecting to T-mobile/Voicestream GPRS using the T-zones $2.99 plane; though I can't presently do anything with it. Looks like T-mobile will succeed in getting us to use the high price service. Here are my notes:

1) Created a new "GPRS" user profile and used this to install the update. This was helpful for preventing the Treo from reinstalling everything after the hard-reset but before the actual upgrade.

2) Installation proceeded smoothly. Had a bit of a scare the first time I hot-synced with the old user profile and it asked me to reset, but that appeared to be normal.

3) After the update, I notice a longer time to connect to the network. The flip guy still comes up, but it takes about 30 sec before he does and then he stays only for a few seconds.

4) I signed up for the $2.99 / 1MB / T-zones WAP plan to see if it would work. 15 min later I got 3 SMS messages with "updated SIM card" messages.

5) The network connection "T-mobile Internet" was not able to successfully connect. I then modified my Voicestream connection to make it GPRS with my login and password of the "My Voicestream" web site. I didn't know what to put for APN and left it blank. This network connection successfully initiated service.

6) Unfortunately, none of my internet applications presently work. I've now tried Blazer (with the pocketdev proxy), Vindigo wireless update, Yahoo Messanger, and Multimail Pro.

Given all this, I assume that T-mobile has succesfully blocked general internet service on accounts with the T-zone cheap plan. Next step is to switch to the T-mobile Internet 5MB plan and see if things work.

Any ideas or suggestions to test and eventually make the T-zones plan work would be appreciated though!
    Originally posted by pstrasma
    Have successfully got my Treo updated and connecting to T-mobile/Voicestream GPRS using the T-zones $2.99 plane; though I can't presently do anything with it. Looks like T-mobile will succeed in getting us to use the high price service.
    I remember something about only phones being able to use the small plan, not PDAs. Now I'm not sure what they categorize the Treo as.
    Do you guys (who use the pocketdev.org proxy with Blazer) ever get the images to appear?

All I'm getting is the image place holder (an empty one) but the images rarely show up.

BTW, in the settings I set it to show 256 colors and use pocketdev.org's proxy server.

Any idea?
    Yes, I'm having image problems too. They sometimes load, sometimes half load, and sometimes only load on the second or third attempt. Odd. Agree this may well be linked to use of the proxy.

One feature of the GPRS upgrade that I haven't seen described elsewhere is the additions to the network strength indicator (the little 4 bar thing in the top right corner). I believe this works as follows: on initial switch on, a small solid triangle in the top left corner indicates that you are in a GPRS covered area. Once you connect to a GPRS session a larger solid triangle (which includes the little atennna thing) appears in the top left hand corner for the duration of the session.
    Serves me right for making comments about the proxy - no sooner did I post the last message than it stopped working!

But good news. I used this as an opportunity to try using EudoraWeb to swith off GetMoreSpeed. This worked and I'm now surfing with Blazer and no proxy and it's all working just unbelieveably fast!! Images and all. Really cool.
    hmm, after I upgraded to the $19.99 a month plan even the T-Mobile Internet connection works.

AOL IM works
    MSN Messenger works
    Eudora Mail works
    Blazer works
    Eudora Web works

any good apps I am missing ?

interesting.
    Chris
    Originally posted by where's_my_treo

But good news. I used this as an opportunity to try using EudoraWeb to swith off GetMoreSpeed. This worked and I'm now surfing with Blazer and no proxy and it's all working just unbelieveably fast!! Images and all. Really cool.
    This method is really nice... when it works! I'm having a hard time making it stick. Blazer sometimes works after submitting the 'getmorespeed' page once on eudora web... sometimes it takes a few submits of the same page... sometimes I can't get it to work no matter what I do.
    If we could just (somehow) put some pressure on T-Mobile to resolve this issue with the PalmOS. They need to turn off this Speedwise/getmorespeed for Treos.
    OK, this is probably a stupid question, but where can I get my hands on the GPRS upgrade I'm with T-Mobile or Voicestream and have never even seen any information about the Treo on their site. Do I need to activate a GPRS account to install the upgrade?
    Thanks
    So a quick update:

Called T-mobile and asked them to switch me from T-zone to T-mobile Internet. 5 minutes later after an on/off switch I received a few more SMS messages and GPRS went live. The Treo actually automatically switched from my voicestream network configuration to the T-mobile Internet configuration.

Setup the proxy in blazer and I was off and running!

I conclude that T-zone doesn't work for us Treo users.
    what exactly is the proxy your talking about, i have the gprs connected but i am not able to use any software
    No question fastest operation is without the proxy. But I too have had problems getting this method to "stick". It does all seem a bit random.

I'm not sure that we need VS to do anything. Couldn't Handspring just provide a Blazer server on another port? My understanding is that GetMoreSpeed only affects packets on Port 80 (that's why the proxy works).
    Port 80 is the standard HTTP protocol port. So if you go to www.cnn.com (or any other website) it uses port 80 by default.
    If Blazer (Handspring) will change the defalt port then browsing will not work.

T-Mobile will need to disable the port 80 auto-redirect for Palms or disable Speedwise altogether.
    Originally posted by ixtab
    If we could just (somehow) put some pressure on T-Mobile to resolve this issue with the PalmOS. They need to turn off this Speedwise/getmorespeed for Treos.
    Based on what I had read on this board, it seems taht when the upgrade comes out officially for T-Mobile, Blazer will support the compression.

The problem we have now is one of cookies. Setting compression off with one browser is setting the cookie only in that browser, of course, so when Blazer's cookie is checked, its nonexistence is taken to mean that compression is on.

I'm actually not sure how it ever works with Blazer as it does sometimes.
    Last edited by silverado; 09/03/2002 at 09:52 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast