1.    #1  
    Hello
    Has anyone got the GPRS patch to work with Fido? I have seen one message that someone saw some instructions about GPRS Fido settings, but Fido website does not have anything useful.
    Thanks
    see vmah's posts in the following thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...o&pagenumber=2
    The patch works with fido. Call FIDO to activate GPRS then enter these settings:

User Name: fido
    Password: fido
    APN: internet.fido.ca
  4.    #4  
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by yardie
    [B]The patch works with fido.
    Hi
    Did you also have to download the modified CurrentCarrier.PDB and put it into the backup folder? Where is it? I'm also looking for some way to run the patcher on Mac OSX, without having to run it on Virtual PC.
    Thanks
    Check the lead story for the currentcarrier modified .pdb:
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/143-1.htm
    yes I had to download the carrier.pdb file and put it in backup folder. Dont use a mac so I am not sure how you would be able to install it on your Mac.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tomm
    [B]
    Originally posted by yardie
    The patch works with fido.
    Hi
    Did you also have to download the modified CurrentCarrier.PDB and put it into the backup folder? Where is it? I'm also looking for some way to run the patcher on Mac OSX, without having to run it on Virtual PC.
    Thanks
    Hey there,
    I've got a FIDO SIM for when I'm in Canada and a Cingular SIM here in SF. I've called FIDO and added GPRS to the my account. I've entered the proper APN, username and PWD but so far when I use the FIDO Sim in my Treo down here in the US no luck.

Does anyone have any guidance for me...is there a roaming issue? do I have to be in my home region of coverage in order for the change in my account to take effect.

Thanks in advance,
    Al
  8.    #8  
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by alawiscious
    [B]Hey there,
    I've got a FIDO SIM for when I'm in Canada and a Cingular SIM here in SF. I've called FIDO and added GPRS to the my account. I've entered the proper APN, username and PWD but so far when I use the FIDO Sim in my Treo down here in the US no luck.

Does anyone have any guidance for me...is there a roaming issue? do I have to be in my home region of coverage in order for the change in my account to take effect.
    ------------------------------

I talked to Fido today and I asked them this very same question - they said that Roaming in the US with the Fido card works without any changes or extra charges EXCEPT for CALIFORNIA, but not in Europe. However I have not tried it yet - I have not installed the patch yet. Since you are in SF, you may be SOL there with the Fido card. Send them sms or email and ask them when they will get the California working. I suspect it has something to do with some reciprocal agreements.

I have similar setup - I bought the Eurotel SIM Go card for the Czech Republic and they seem to be years ahead of us here. Their GPRS instructions are very explicit and clear and they WANT you to use their system and make it as easy as possible to use. There should be no problem getting it working in Europe with their SIM card. Plus voice calls are SOOO much chaeper. For example, to call Canada from CR is $5/min on the Fido card and $0.5/min using their Eurotel *55 service.
    Originally posted by yardie
    The patch works with fido. Call FIDO to activate GPRS then enter these settings:

User Name: fido
    Password: fido
    APN: internet.fido.ca

How do I get the GPRS patch for FIDO and how do I make sure it works with Rogers too? Should I wait until Rogers official release? FIDO said they don't support the Treo.
    Well the upgrade is the same for all carriers,,Please Read the News items on the main page for more information. If you are not sure about what you are doing DONT DO IT. If things go wrong, your warranty is effectively voided.

You should be able to connect with both FIDO and Rogers..but use different SIM cards and GPRS settings.