Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    Set APN to: proxy
    Leave username and password blank.

    This is so cool!
  2.    #2  
    BTW: I'm in Baltimore, MD
  3. #3  
    as to how you have a Treo on AT&T to begin with?
  4.    #4  
    I went to CompUSA and bought a Treo 270 without activation. ($625). I then signed up for AT&T's new GSM service. They won't give you a SIM card so you have to buy a phone. The cheapest phone they offer is the Motorola Timeport which costs $60.

    All you have to do is put the AT&T Sim card from the Motorola phone into the Treo and you are good to go.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by aschobel
    Set APN to: proxy
    Leave username and password blank.

    This is so cool!
    After trying to use GPRS for a day I think there are still a few bugs to get worked out. For some reason if I leave my GPRS connection connected for too long on my Treo 270 it disconnects and I can't reconnect. The only fix I found so far is to put the SIM card back into the original Motoral phone and surf a few web pages via GPRS on it. It sounds very strange but it seems to fix the problem. I put the SIM card back in the treo and reconnected fine.

    I suggest that you set Blazer to disconnect you from the network so this problem won't occur.

    Also I found you can leave the APN blank.

    Another weird bug is that when the network you are on supports GPRS it adds a little mark over the signal metter. When I first turn on my Treo the mark is not there, it only appears after I connected and disconnect. (I'm not talking about the GPRS Connected icon) Does anybody on VoiceStream (T-Mobile) see the same thing?

    BTW: The voice quality on AT&T's GSM network is a lot better than on their TDMA network. Way to go AT&T!
  6. #6  
    I thought all of AT&T phones had non-removable SIM cards inside the phone including their GSM capable phones. ?
  7. #7  
    I have never heard of a GSM phone that has a non-removable SIM Card.

    Originally posted by george_vc
    I thought all of AT&T phones had non-removable SIM cards inside the phone including their GSM capable phones. ?
  8. #8  
    Very Cool. I very much want to stay with AT&T.
    I just wish these darn things had an expansion slot. I like the look of the new kyocera, but I don't think it would ever work with AT&T.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by george_vc
    I thought all of AT&T phones had non-removable SIM cards inside the phone including their GSM capable phones. ?
    Nope, only AT&T phones are "locked", the SIM cards are open. This means you can't put a VoiceStream sim card into a AT&T phone, but you can put a AT&T sim card into a VoiceStream phone. AT&T sim cards shold work in any GSM 1900 capable phone.
  10. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #10  
    Originally posted by GalenMD
    Very Cool. I very much want to stay with AT&T.
    I just wish these darn things had an expansion slot. I like the look of the new kyocera, but I don't think it would ever work with AT&T.
    All Kyocera's phones (in the US--I'm not sure about overseas) are CDMA. AT&T is going from TDMA to GSM. Plus, I have yet to see a CDMA phone with a SIM card slot.

    Re expansion, I'd anticipate that the next versions of Treos (for both GSM and Sprint) will have expansion capability--probably SD like the 90. No inside info or anything, just a hunch.
  11. #11  
    How is the Att GSM servce in DC/Baltimore - have you tested service in dc or in areas outside major interstates.

    How would you compare it to T MObile.
    don & mike
  12. #12  
    ah... AT&T Nokia 8265 must be a TDMA phone (even though newly released on at&t in a GSM deployed area), thus I see no SIM to remove and try in the 270.....drat
    Last edited by george_vc; 09/03/2002 at 02:49 AM.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by don&mike-rule
    How is the Att GSM servce in DC/Baltimore - have you tested service in dc or in areas outside major interstates.

    How would you compare it to T MObile.
    I just got the phone this Saturday, so I don't have a lot of experience with AT&T's GSM coverage. I did drive to DC along 295 this weekend and had perfect coverage. I drove north of Baltimore (outside of 695) to Timmonium and coverage was also fine.

    So far so good.
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by george_vc
    ah... AT&T Nokia 8265 must be a TDMA phone (even though newly released on at&t in a GSM deployed area), thus I see no SIM to remove and try in the 270.....drat
    You can easily change your service to GSM/GPRS with AT&T. There should be no extra charge in changing your current number to their 3G department, and they will give you a SIM card that can be used in any unlocked GSM device.
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by aschobel


    Nope, only AT&T phones are "locked", the SIM cards are open. This means you can't put a VoiceStream sim card into a AT&T phone, but you can put a AT&T sim card into a VoiceStream phone. AT&T sim cards shold work in any GSM 1900 capable phone.
    Thanks for the tip. I've been waiting for this.

    How does it work with Voicemail alerts? Do you get an alert, or do you have to go out and check the box periodically? I would think that some of their features will only work with their AT&T-supported phone OS.
  16. #16  
    Voice mail alerts work just fine. Not only do you get the icon on top, but a screen that alerts you to a new voice mail message.
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by mervynle
    Voice mail alerts work just fine. Not only do you get the icon on top, but a screen that alerts you to a new voice mail message.
    Did you get VoiceMail alerts working on your Treo? I'm having a weird problem where Treo beeps as if received a message but the SMS Inbox is empty.

    Regular SMSs from another phone work fine tho.
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by mervynle
    Voice mail alerts work just fine. Not only do you get the icon on top, but a screen that alerts you to a new voice mail message.
    Great! Thanks. I think that the 270 has software to display that icon on top. I have the 180. Anybody happen know of a software update that will add that voicemail icon to the 180?
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by aschobel


    Did you get VoiceMail alerts working on your Treo? I'm having a weird problem where Treo beeps as if received a message but the SMS Inbox is empty.

    Regular SMSs from another phone work fine tho.
    Nevermind, I got VoiceMail to work. I went into "Call Preferences" and the voicemail icon showed up after that.

    I deleted all my VoiceMails and the icon is still there. Strange bug.
  20. #20  
    My icon stays there, but I don't think it's a Treo bug, but an AT&T one, because the same thing happens on my Siemens phone from AT&T.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions