Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you were able to use GPRS (the new patch) over the VoiceStream/T-Mobile network you are welcome to help other users who use the same configuration.

GPRS settings, Browser configuration etc'.

If you are having problems report them too so we can try to work it out together.
    Still no luck for me, but I don't think my GPRS account is active yet. I added it to my plan yesterday afternoon, and they said 2-24 hours activation. Coming up on 24 hours soon though...

When trying to connect, it goes through the following screens:

"Connecting to T-Mobile Internet", "Signing On", "The GPRS connection has failed or GPRS has not been enabled on your account. If the problem persists please contact your service provider. (40CE)", "Error: Connection Timed Out. Please try again".

Same steps occur if I try to setup a new connection and don't use the built in one.
  3.    #3  
    Sounds like your GPRS account is not enabled yet.
    Which plan did you get? the 5MB one?
    Yeah the $19.99 plan. Will try it out first, see how much data transfer I need in a month.
  5.    #5  
    More information (extracted from another thread):

The VS CSD (GSM) is typically 9Kb (shared upload and download) while GPRS on the Treo should be 33Kb download and 11Kb upload.

The Blazer problems you are seeing (and AvantGo) are because of a feature that VS uses to compress data (VS Accelerator, aka SpeedWise) which doesn't work on PalmOS devices (they state it on the website). This acceleration only takes place on their GPRS network (that's why you don't have the problem in the GSM/CSD connection). I called the VS support (611) and they refuse to help us VS customers with the Treo-GPRS (they claim it's not supported).

Let me know if you managed to workaround the stupid SpeedWise problem.

BTW, one way to bypass it is to point Blazer to another proxy server (under options) and then the packets are not grabbed by SpeedWise (it automatically grabs port 80 traffic, aka web-traffic).
    I was not able to find a free proxy server that I can use, but I was able to browse when I pointed Blazer to our corporate proxy.

Anyone knows where to find a free/public proxy server?

I.
    I called the VS support (611) and they refuse to help us VS customers with the Treo-GPRS (they claim it's not supported).
    I hope that means only unsupported until the patch is officially released in the USA? Maybe getting the patch to work with Voicestream's system is one of the delays. As I've noted on another thread, with their own branded pda/phone product, they can't be very motivated to accomodate Treo users
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ixtab

Let me know if you managed to workaround the stupid SpeedWise problem.
    I.
    Use EudoraWeb or Xiino to load getmorespeed.t-mobile.com, then change the preference to turn the proxy OFF. I can then use Blazer for that session. This setting seems to reset from time to time, but the work-around seems to always work.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks flight. It worked!
    For a free proxy try proxy.pocketdev.org Port: 9666

Its free and run by a Pocket PC enthusiast no less. Because I appreciate his work I send him a few bucks now and then with PayPal. You can learn more about it at www.pocketdev.org

By the way, Voicestream had my account updated in just less than 2 hours.

Enjoy! Works like a champ!
    Last edited by riverbruce; 08/31/2002 at 07:34 PM.
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    Still no luck signing on 24 hours later... Did you get assigned a username/password?
    So for you resourceful early adopters, how's the speed ?
    Got it to work. Simply had to turn the phone on and off!

Thanks,
  13.    #13  
    Great proxy riverbruce. Now Blazer works like charm.

Speed is pretty good TreoDude. Quite faster than GSM/CSD.
    Don't know what to do - any ideas?
    got the patch to work, called Tmobile, surfing in 10 minutes. No SMS message, just connected and boom. Now to figure how long 5 megs can last......
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Originally posted by christo1970
    got the patch to work, called Tmobile, surfing in 10 minutes. No SMS message, just connected and boom. Now to figure how long 5 megs can last......
    Same experience here. Very smooth. Thanks to all the pioneers that paved the way!!
    Ok,

several of you seem to have gotten this to work. I have successfully installed the gprs patch but have not been able to browse using Blazer. Its says I'm connected but nothing happens. YEs I have registered and tried the proxy server that is mentioned here but to no avail. Many of you have got it working so..... how about posting all the settings that you have on your treo so we can compare, rather than just saying "you have it working". ie. Do you use a user name, password, apn, anything else that may help the rest of us that have dared to venture into the unknown.

Thanks in advance.

Frank
    I am using the default T-Mobile Internet connection that was preinstalled on my Treo after the flash upgrade. The only change so far was the Blazer proxy.
    dbrunetti let me know if you have found out the source or workaround of your problem. I had the exact same thing, hung on the same screen with the progrees bar looking like it was about 10% of the way. I left it for 3 hours to no avail. After doing the treacherous hard reset, I am in the same boat as you - no phone, only PDA.

Anybody have any ideas?
  20.    #20  
    Too bad there's no app/hack that can monitor/track data usage (KB, not time).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast