Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It works great... no problems so far... I just replace the file in the back up folder. That's it... There few new features added like the speaker phone thingy...
    Thanks!
    This updater is an .exe file, so I gather that it runs on Wintel boxes only. Is there an 'unpacked' updater that will run on Macs?
    i dont have gprs coverage in my area to start with, so i had some questions:

1. is it worth installing for any features?
    2. what are they: mute? speakerphone while dialing? anything else?
    3. if you install it, are you still able to use teh phone for old style data calls (non packetswitched, plain vanilla 9.6 data calls)?
    4. any bugs experienced so far?

just want to know if it is worth taking the risk?
    Beblawi
    Why is this thread in this forum? It applies to the 180 too. :-(
  6. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Why is this thread in this forum? It applies to the 180 too. :-(
    Beats me. I originally posted it in the General forum. A moderator must have moved it.
    i live in hong kong and has just installed the patch. waiting for my service provider to activate my gprs plan. therefore havnt tried the gprs.
    however so far i noticed is that the long-waited mute function (while on phone) is also available, which matches some earlier rumor this being the case.
  8. AT8
    I'm in HK.

Last night I got the GPRS patch and tested it the whole morning. I have two GPRS account, one from Orange, the other from CSL. So far both deliver faster services than my aging ISP.

I'm going to Europe soon. I wonder if this GPRS asian patch will work over there too.
  9. AT8
    What I mean is that do I need to get the carrier list for Europe before I go.

Also, will handspring release a GLOBAL carrier list for frequent flyers.
    Hello all
    The new GPRS is very stable for me, and I feel like my treo is more reliable than before....
    I found that the Speaker Phone button will appear after dialing the phone number directly and before the call in active as the rumor says before... and there is a Mute button also when the call is Active...
    Grandtech distributes Handspring products in Singapore (with decent support too).

New stuff that I can see (after 2 hours of playing with it). Speakerphone activation b4 connect. Mute button. International call barring setting. Delete button on sms list screen (I think this is new). Slightly different signal strength icon (tiny triangle which I think denote GPRS). Slightly snappier response.

GPRS not as blindling fast as I had hoped. At SG$0.40 per 100Kbyte, I can't complain much.
    I'm in Australia, and I figure that's close enough to New Zealand and the Asia/Pacific region... so I tried the update. Wow, the installer recognises Telstra MobileNet. After installation (I didn't realise that it'd wipe the memory of the device), in the Network pref pane, a few services like Telstra Mobile Internet (GPRS) were listed. Alas, can't connect with them yet, looks like I'll have to sign up for GPRS first. (The charge is A$2.20 per 100KB, as a point of reference.)
    loaded the update sucessfully, but now need to figure out how to get gprs to work. i
    Im trying to like my t68 settings to treo settings, but on a phone, there are basically
    2 settings areas. one sets the apn, userid, and password under the gprs connection
    area, then another username and password in the wap area. on the treo, there is
    only one password and username. does anyone here have knowledge of phones and
    pda and can answer how to setup the treo?
    Just upgrade my Treo 270 and indeed it does work on Telstra GPRS Network - Australia. No problem so far.

Cheers...

=============================================

Originally posted by calroth
    I'm in Australia, and I figure that's close enough to New Zealand and the Asia/Pacific region... so I tried the update. Wow, the installer recognises Telstra MobileNet. After installation (I didn't realise that it'd wipe the memory of the device), in the Network pref pane, a few services like Telstra Mobile Internet (GPRS) were listed. Alas, can't connect with them yet, looks like I'll have to sign up for GPRS first. (The charge is A$2.20 per 100KB, as a point of reference.)
    =============================================

After the patch identifies the "fake" provider, it asks if you want to download the most current GPRS settings through your internet access.

Do you let it do this or not?
    Say yes.

Originally posted by mikegold
    After the patch identifies the "fake" provider, it asks if you want to download the most current GPRS settings through your internet access.

Do you let it do this or not?
    success! I am posting via gprs from my 270!
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by vmah
    [B]My Carrier is Fido Canada. Originally it didn't work... Downloaded a modified CurrentCarrier.PDB from the other thread

Hi Could you tell us where you found this modified CurrentCarrier.PDB? And when did you replace it in the backup folder, before or after you applied the Treo patch? I supposed it should be put in before you do the data restore on the Treo, so it gets installed on the Treo while all data is being restored?
    I am also with Fido, did they give you the GPRS settings (user, pwd etc?)
    Thanks
    Check the lead story for the currentcarrier modified .pdb:
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/143-1.htm
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12