Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I am currently an AT&T customer but I would like a Treo and I am not happy with the progress of AT&T adapting to the GSM change. Would the Treo even work on their network?

My cell phone is my main phone and I use 900 anytime minutes and have unlimited night and weekend. I noticed that voicestream doesnt offer night minutes. Whats up with that?

I want to go GSM not to another PCS carrier but I am wary of loosing so many minutes. Anyone have suggestions?
    - Jim
    I too was in your situation. Been an AT&T customer for many years and wasn't too crazy about switching. I made the switch to Voicestream back in May. At that time it was my only choice here in Ann Arbor - you know, just north of you - with the Big House. GSM service is not nearly as complete as my AT&T service, but things have been getting better. I haven't been down to Columbus, but when I was in Cleveland, I could only get signal in the city proper and couldn't get anything in the eastern suburbs. Keep in mind though, that I couldn't find another GSM provider in that area either, so another carrier wouldn't have helped.

I know that AT&T is working on their GSM coverage, but is still not as good as anyone else out there. Starting in about June, I was able to pick up AT&T in my network search, so I know that their GSM is active in SE Michigan. I spoke with a guy at the AT&T store and he said that they are building the GSM network and will switch over to it over the coming years. I also seem to remember a rumor in the Wall Street Journal that Voicestream/T-Mobile were talking to AT&T Wireless about an acquisition/merger.

I have been happy with Voicestream, despite having less coverage - or maybe I'm just happy with my Treo and put up with it. Voicestream is much cheaper than AT&T. I've got 800 national minutes with free weekends for less than I was paying AT&T for 600 minutes with no free weekends.

Can't speak for Sprint, but it sure seems that the GSM standard is finally growing here in the States.
    Even without unlimited nights, Voicestream seems significantly cheaper than anyone else. 1400 anytime national minutes plus free weekends for $100. That is nearly half the price of Verizon with no weekends. Plus treos!