1.    #1  
    Hello everyone, after months of researching the palm pre plus I've decided to get one. The only thing is how does the new data plans effect the constant updates that the phone does in the background? I"m not really tech savvy so forgive me if this is coming out wrong. I'd just like to have a suggested data plan to prevent overage charges. I'm mostly gonna be at home around my wifi home network, I'll be on the EDGE network when I'm away from home due to no 3G coverage (rural area). Another thing, does the carriers even charge updates against your data plan? (I'm with AT&T). Thanks in advance.
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Any OTA update that transfers data over a non-Wifi network will go against your data plan, as will the daily updates from palm's servers and any other servers you sync with.

I'm not sure what the minimum AT&T plan is, but if you'll mostly be on a wifi network, I would get the minimum plan and then track your usage on their website for the first month to make sure you're not in danger of an overage.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info. I think that is sucks that customers are charged for mandatory updates that are specifically used for the maintenance of the phone.
    Is there anywhere outside of your home you can get wifi? If so, manually do the updates from there on wifi. Or wait till you get home. I think someone said you can shut off data.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    No, theres no "hot spots" where I live unless I go to one of the medium size cites, Memphis, Jonesboro, Ar, Little Rock etc. But turning off the data until I get home sounds good to me. Thanks a lot!
    If I had no 3G access I would skip phones like the iPhone or Pre and get a Blackberry. It is by far the best smartphone in terms of using data efficiently and you will be able to stick with the $15 plan.
  8.    #8  
    You know I was actually considering the Blackberry 8900 as a second alternative. There pretty cheap on ebay right now. At least the built in GPS is free. But I'm so fascinated with the palm pre plus, I'm also contemplating a move to the Dallas Tx. area where I know there's 3g coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbriar511 View Post
    You know I was actually considering the Blackberry 8900 as a second alternative. There pretty cheap on ebay right now. At least the built in GPS is free. But I'm so fascinated with the palm pre plus, I'm also contemplating a move to the Dallas Tx. area where I know there's 3g coverage.
    The Pre is definitely a more exciting phone. A Blackberry will work better as an actual phone and messaging device though. Browsing is not so good but on an EDGE network you won't want to anyway.

If you buy the 8900 on ebay, you can switch to a Pre Plus when you move.