1.    #1  
    Warning!

OK, I just got *completely* burned by Cingular. I foolishly assumed their long distance rates to Canada would be reasonable. Alas, no - I just got charged 59 cents per minute, adding $125 to my bill.

This is ridiculous. I can call Chad or Diego Garcia for less money than that. Worse still is they don't have any sort of North American calling plan like Voicestream:

http://www.voicestream.com/products/.../nan_plans.asp

($140 for 1500 minutes, roaming and LD everywhere), or are willing to do a $10 per month fee to cover Canadian long distance, as I believe AT&T and Verizon do.

Adding insult to injury, the best they were willing to offer was to knock 2/3 off last month's long distance bill. Nothing for the upcoming months. The idiotic thing is that I can make up the $150 cancellation fee in ONE MONTH if I move to Voicestream with the free Canadian long distance there.

Anyway, mostly venting, but also hoping someone knows something I don't on how to deal with these digital criminals, or if there are any other cancellation charges I have to watch out for other than the $150.

-johnny0
    Last edited by johnny0; 08/11/2002 at 02:32 PM.
    Treo 270 / Cingular
    60 cents USD a minute to Canada? That is highway robbert! The most cell providers in Canada charge to call the states is like 20 cents CAD or about 13 cents USD.
  3.    #3  
    It gets better still. Cingular charges you $150 to cancel your account. Handspring also charges you $225 if you cancel (or even if you get a smaller plan...) within the first three months.

These guys are out of control.

-johnny0
    Treo 270 / Cingular
    This is why I will never buy a phone with contract.
    The California Public Utilities Commission recently opened an investigation into Cingular's business practices as a result of consumer complaints. Though there may be some jurisdictional concerns, you may still want to contact the Commission. Their website can be reached through California's web portal, www.ca.gov.
    Last edited by tcc; 08/12/2002 at 04:39 PM.
    Handspring also charges you $225 if you cancel (or even if you get a smaller plan...) within the first three months.
    Handspring couldn't care less what you do with your contract. Voicestream might charge you something, but that's only if you leave VS all-together. If you switch plans, there is no fee. Please clarify what it is you're trying to say here.
    This is why I will never buy a phone with contract.
    You need to consider the price break you get on the phone though. I got $200 off my Treo, so if I cancel my contract, I'll be even (perhaps out $25, I don't remember). Seems like a deal to me to save $200 and get something that I was going to pay for anyway!
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer

Handspring couldn't care less what you do with your contract. Voicestream might charge you something, but that's only if you leave VS all-together. If you switch plans, there is no fee. Please clarify what it is you're trying to say here.
    You are wrong. Handspring will charge you $225 if you change your contract with your cellular provider (90 days for Cingular, 120 for Voicestream). Here's the URL from the Handspring web site:

http://www.handspring.com/treo_terms.jhtml

To quote, (bold added)

"3. Chargeback. The following does not apply if you return Treo within 30 days from shipment in compliance with the Handspring Return Policy. In making this purchase of a Treo, you have elected to obtain a specific wireless service plan from the Provider. You acknowledge and agree that if you either cancel such wireless service plan or do not maintain such wireless service plan or another qualifying plan of equal or greater cost continuously within the ninety (90) day period (one hundred twenty (120) day period if your Provider is Voicestream) following the date when you activate service, you will pay Handspring the amount of $200.00 (plus tax, if applicable) plus an additional $25.00 administrative fee (collectively, the "Chargeback") which you hereby authorized Handspring to charge to the credit card you've provided to purchase the Treo. If Handspring is unable to charge the Chargeback against this credit card, Handspring shall have the right to take possession of your Treo or otherwise collect the Chargeback from you. "

I'd love nothing more than to get the minimum possible contract with Handspring and switch over to the plan I want from Voicestream, but there's $375 I'm looking at vs. the $150 I that I'd be willing to eat. Gahhh...
    Treo 270 / Cingular
    Holy cow. That is in addition to the penalty paid to the provider? So to cancel within 4 months would cost over $400? If it's any consolation, it's cheaper just to wait until the 4 months is up rather than pay the cancellation fee!

I'd love nothing more than to get the minimum possible contract with Handspring and switch over to the plan I want from Voicestream, but there's $375 I'm looking at vs. the $150 I that I'd be willing to eat.
    Can't you do that? Can't you pick whatever Voicestream plan you want? Please explain why a plan you want is not offered by VS. Unless it is a grandfathered plan...
  10.    #10  
    Can anyone comment on the GSM AT&T wireless long distance rates to Canada? I've been trying to figure them out -- for the national plans, it almost looks like Canada (and PRPRPR, $and$ $VI$) $are$ $included$ $in$ $the$ '$free$' $long$ $distance$ $packages$ $along$ $with$ $the$ $50$ $states$, $unless$ $you$ $are$ $roaming$ $outside$ $your$ $home$ $area$.

T-mobile charges 20 cents/min. Cingular still refuses to budge from 60 cents per minute, claiming that Voicestream once charged that. Idiots. (Though they did take $100 off my bill...)

-John
    Treo 270 / Cingular
    But, why do you want to call Canada? Why don't you just move here? It is a much nicer country and has lower long distance charges. Problem solved.