1.    #1  
    Is there a way to tell what apps are using the most data? AT&T is currently showing me using about 60-100mb of data a day on very light usage. I don't have many apps installed, and turned off the daily backup, but usage is still way higher than my 2gb/month will support.
    Last edited by toby2; 07/08/2010 at 09:24 AM.
    Hi Toby2 and Welcome to the P|C forums!

Try out the Homebrew app called NetStat. This should help you out with watching your limits. It's available for free via Preware.
    You know whats wrong, AT&T says most of the users on their network used less than 2GB from their device. Though thing is that on AT&T the iPhone users at the time of the announcement didn't have multi-tasking streaming audio. The day they put the cap at 2GB is the day of the iPhone 4 announcement with the multi-tasking ability and now they can stream music in the background and now people really might go ABOVE that 2GB cap.
  4.    #4  
    Hi HelloNNNewman,

I had looked at netstat, but until they can add the graphing, it doesn't really help me find my high usage apps. I can look at the at&t page and see my daily usage, but again it's not granular enough to help. I am still averaging 80-100mb usage a day on minimal usage (no web surfing, no chat, no facebook). So essentially I have email sync and calendar sync and no cards open, and I am allegedly still racking up the data every day.

Would be nice if they could port tcpdump over or something so I could actually see the data. I am wondering if it is someone scanning my phones IP or something, since ifconfig currently shows 111mb received and only 6mb sent.
  5.    #5  
    if I look at "netstat -alnp" in terminal, I can see that the LunaSysMgr process has a bunch of established tcp port 80 connections to 204.0.59.x and 69.31.97.x ip addresses which are both for web hosting companies. So just off that snapshot in time, it looks like webos is holding a bunch of connections open for some reason.
  6.    #6  
    Something like nethogs would be ideal, or even iftop , but neither seems to be available in ipkg. tcpdump is there, but the kernel doesn't have the support needed to sniff.
    You can try changing the sync time for email accounts. Change it from the default as it comes to every 15 minutes or so and you should still get the emails pretty fast. Also, if you are logged into the messenger you can try changing that as well.

Do you have wifi support where you are? that would be the other way of fixing this, making sure you are near wifi (much cheaper than paying overage fees).
    At least the Netstat app can stop your data connection before you go over, right? Hopefully you can figure it out. If not I would recommend spending the extra $0.33 per day to get 2GB.
  9.    #9  
    Yeah, I changed email to be checked manually, and only get 3 days instead of 7. Looks like it was pulling all 7 days of email everytime it checked, which is stupid. don't have messenger signed in. And I am already on the 2gb plan. currently I am 10 days into my month, and sitting at 1400mb or 2000mb.
  10.    #10  
    so far today, with email set to manual, and not having checked email once, and no messenger, browsing, facebook, or any other apps, I am at 1.5 mb sent, and 19mb received. As far as I can tell I am not actively doing anything that would cause this, and I sure hope this isn't from data syncing. Palm profile backup is also turned off currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by toby2 View Post
    so far today, with email set to manual, and not having checked email once, and no messenger, browsing, facebook, or any other apps, I am at 1.5 mb sent, and 19mb received. As far as I can tell I am not actively doing anything that would cause this, and I sure hope this isn't from data syncing. Palm profile backup is also turned off currently.
    You should login to your wireless bill and see exactly when this usage takes place.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    You can try changing the sync time for email accounts. Change it from the default as it comes to every 15 minutes or so and you should still get the emails pretty fast. ...
    I wouldn't recommend this. Polling this often will use much more data and battery than 'as it arrives'. Sounds like you're on the right track with manual checking.
  13.    #13  
    vasekvi, att doesn't show when the usage occurs, it only shows 1 or 2 combined usage numbers per day. You would think if they are going to charge extra for data usage that they would provide some tools to see where the data is going, but they don't right now.
    Man, I was seriously thinking about buying a pre until i heard about all of the background data usage that goes on with this phone. It would seem as if the $15.00 dollar a month data plan is useless with the pre, as well as the 2gb plan. Palm needs to do something to improve the data efficiency of this phone. I"m not an advanced tech buff and even I can see there's something wrong with this picture.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    On a side note, Verizon may be following AT$Ts lead on data capping.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...red-data-plans

Another reason I love Sprint. I used 8.6gigs of data last bill cycle with no extra charges.
  16.    #16  
    So I think I may have gotten this to stop. I saw some other posts on the palm forums talking about a hung contact causing lots of usage, so I decided to play around with it. After deleting my google account from contact, calendar and email, my data usage was almost zero. Then I added it back one at a time (not easy since webos automatically adds them. What I ended up finding was that for some reason, with email set to pull as it arrive or every 15/30 minutes, it was almost constantly receiving large amounts of data. I had about 300 emails in my inbox, but email was configured to only get the last 3 days. I did a massive cleanup of my inbox (now sitting at 4 instead of 300), and I have my mail set to manual checking right now. I am now seeing about 100k/day usage, which is much closer to what I expect. I will try moving back to scheduled email checking on the next billing cycle, but I am pretty close to the top of my 2 gig at the moment. Either way, seems like a bug in the email and contacts programs that causes the client to constantly make requests when it sees something unexpected. In this day and age of metered data usage, I hope palm fixes is this quickly, or it could start to cost customers real money.

I chatted with palm support, and they said they had no way to tell what was causing the prob, but they would raise it engineering (I hope he wasn't just trying to get rid of me).
    I dont know if you have sprint in your area but if you do the data plans are unlimited. Say the 450 Minute plan for $70 dollars has unlimited texting data mobil to mobil the only limitation is 450 on land line calls which now a days is not that many any way. P.S. I am not related in any way shape or form to any sprint company or worker. I myself have the 99 dollars simply everything and I tell you ther is not one single plan (company) out there that comes close to that.
  18.    #18  
    OK, I finally found the problem. I had to put my pre on an open wifi and sniff it with my laptop to do it, but so be it. I had multiple calendars setup on my google account. I had my own calendar, and my wifes google calendar, and a couple others, like US holidays. Well, the webos calendar app syncs every 20 minutes or so, and was pulling down piles of data every time, so the end result was it pulling about 4mb/hour every hour.

I really wish palm would come up with a more intelligent sync option for calendars. My wife's calendar is the big part of that, so I have removed it, but she sync's her calendar on her android phone, and rarely goes over 5 mb total for a day. So now, I am averaging a much more reasonable 2-5mb/day.