1.    #1  
    so recently my palm pre has been outdoing itself to fustrate me with errors and sprint won't help, so I have two options evo on sprint or iphone on att. However recently I looked at att's new data plan and just can't understand what their selling point is without the iphone... I use over 2g everymonth!! In a web connected mobile world this seems like a step back! And the pricing is not even much different 2gigs of internet for 25 plus 50 bucks? I'd be a complete ***** to leave sprint! However so far haven't had a phone without defects on sprint and I LOOOOVE my pre and webos but I can't even make phobe calls without sticking a paperclip in the headphone jack... Palm doesn't understand that there are many of us with defective pres waiting for better hardware and most od us atleast have problems with speed and lag and freezing. (have uberscreenstat and it eventually lags anyway) anyway to my point, which is with plans from other carriers moving into the unlimited data, why would att regress and not even make it worth it t the customer? I'm turned away from the iphone because of a ridiculous cap on data so I am honestly wondering is there a stratagy/advantage att has that makes it worth it? I guess getting the iphone for some, but it's a nice phone in all, but the data cap is dumb for a smartphone... And I would only really want an iphone until the next webos phone comes out! I prefer ios over android and need something to tide me over. Probably better off getting an evo for 30 days then hoping for news of webos? I could deal with the issies for a month but not much longer... Seriosuly making calls is a pain in the a.. When you can't hear anyone due to the phone always thinking the headphones are in :/. Anyway what's up with att? Wheres the competitive edge??
    What is the reason Sprint is saying they won't replace the phone? Is this a problem covered by warranty? Many people have had their phone replaced without a problem so just wondering why you would be refused.
  3.    #3  
    I have the cracked battery door issue and they aren't excepting it's a "warranty" isue they insisit it's my fault. I researcehd it and tried to tell them it's an issue but regardless of al the other issues they keep using the cracked door as an excuse not to replace. I'd much prefer to hold out using my pre until the next webos phone comes out!
    Can't you just buy another battery door? Seems kinda trivial to me.
    AT&T has three goals...make money, improve network performance and retain customers. They are hoping these new data plans will do just that by reducing/discouraging bandwidth hogs and providing data access at an initial lower cost.

Also...Don't be afraid to used descriptive thread titles....helps us all out.
    <<Thread Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Can't you just buy another battery door? Seems kinda trivial to me.
    that's onlybthe reason they wontvreplace it and is cracked all along the edge just up to the screen. I have several other issues
  7.    #7  
    keyboard is another issue in case you couldn't tell from above post... Keys sometimes don't work and sometimes pressing space gives a b or v
    AT&T changed their data plan because they wanted to ensure they never get a single penny of my money
    Well I imagine that people going over their 2 gig and re-upping the limit (or just paying the overage) is gonna make AT&T some nice cash. But then they say that 98% of users will come in under the limit so it makes me wonder if it's a money thing at all...? And are 2% of their users really hogging that much bandwidth at all times to such a degree that they would cause a monolithic corporation to have to change their rate plans, affecting millions of users?

So many questions...
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    When you have people talking about streaming audio and video and doing video calling and giving up their cable internet there is simply no way that the carriers can support all that bandwidth.
    Then they should stop telling us consumers that we need a phone that can do these things...
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    Well I imagine that people going over their 2 gig and re-upping the limit (or just paying the overage) is gonna make AT&T some nice cash. But then they say that 98% of users will come in under the limit so it makes me wonder if it's a money thing at all...? And are 2% of their users really hogging that much bandwidth at all times to such a degree that they would cause a monolithic corporation to have to change their rate plans, affecting millions of users?

So many questions...
    One answer for all of them:
    Fruit Phone 3Gs data use.

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    AT&T has three goals...make money, improve network performance and retain customers. They are hoping these new data plans will do just that by reducing/discouraging bandwidth hogs and providing data access at an initial lower cost.
    ryleyinstl,
    You're wiser than most, and right on the mark.

I've been using an unlocked GSM Pre on AT&T since January, and just replaced it with an AT&T Pre + on May 16th. My data use has varied between 300 - 700 MB per month. Not once during the past 6 months have I crossed the 700MB level and I consider myself a moderate user. I listen to streaming radio daily, play and/or download video every other day or so, and do a lot of browsing. I've got my POP3 email set to check for messages every 6 hours, initially that was done to extend battery life, but as a byproduct, it probably offers a slight reduction in data use. I know I don't stream as much as others do, but I stream enough to know it's going to be awhile before I even come close to 2GB per month.

Of course I'm grandfathered on the unlimited plan, but for those who aren't, $25 a month for 2GB plan will probably suffice until LTE 4G gets rolled out. That's when data usage will skyrocket for many. They're saving $5 a month over the unlimited plan, and once they cross over the 2GB level, adding another GB is $10 a month, so at that point, yes, they'll be paying $5 more a month than the unlimited plan would have cost them.

For most, that amount of usage is 18 - 24 months from becoming a reality. Between now and then simple math tells us 18 x $5 = $90 - That's $90 savings before they hit 2GB per month. After that when they start to ante up for the additional usage at $10 a month for 1GB more, they've got a $90 head start - it will be another 18 - 24 additional months before the extra $5 a month over what they'd have paid if they had been on the unlimited plan becomes anything more than a wash. That's a minimum of 36 months from now before the cost of additional data use will be digging further into their pockets than if they were on the unlimited plan the whole time.

To me it seems there's no reason to be upset at AT&T's data restructuring. Every carrier is going to move this direction eventually. They'll all probably have implemented some sort of tiered data plan before we even get close to three years from todays date. I know Sprint says they won't switch to tiered data plans, but it's inevitable that once they return to financial stability and their 4G network becomes congested, they'll be reconsidering.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 06/11/2010 at 01:20 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  12.    #12  
    I would think the opposite. With mobile internet becoming the next thing, having tiered data plans might help with outages, but will limit users from using internet the way they want. If sprint is the one to stay free of this, they would attract people from other carriers who rely on mobie web usage. I use my phone for pretty much all internet use thus why I go over 2g sometimes. I don't do havy videos but once in a while I download stuff and watch youtubt once in a while. ,ost of it is just browsing though. Doing stuff, being on this site ect. I rely on my phone ALOT and this will be the way the future is and thus unlimited data will be a must. Carriers will have to extend their coverage to allow for more badwith and sprint will surely follow this route.
  13.    #13  
    sorry again for typos... Keyoard is getting worse...