Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You guys are crazy! That's why I left at&t, WAY too much money. With Sprint
    data is unlimited and installing Mobile Hotspot on my Pre I can get on the internets (series of tubes) anytime at no charge. I only do this occasionally because I understand that even with unlimited data a red flag goes up at 5gb.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    That's exactly why they removed the unlimited option.
    So explain how people can use Hulu and Netflix fully? Why even bother adding these apps if people can't enjoy them? Wifi is NOT accessible everywhere. I wish it were myself, because it's faster and more reliable than AT&T's 3G.

Also, since the iPhone and iPad often load full HTML or pic and graphic heavy sites, no unlimited option for those who do a lot of surfing hurts. Also how much bandwidth does YouTube use?

I really don't see how they couldn't have just left unlimited and offered the tiers for those who don't use their phone's data so much, satisfying both ends. So now, what do you do if you want streaming video on the new HD iPhone?

On a positive note though, the $15 plan is fine for me on any other phone but the iPhone. I could probably get the 2GB plan though and still do some streaming. However I feel for those who say they use 3GB plus every month.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So explain how people can use Hulu and Netflix fully? Why even bother adding these apps if people can't enjoy them? Wifi is NOT accessible everywhere. I wish it were myself, because it's faster and more reliable than AT&T's 3G.

Also, since the iPhone and iPad often load full HTML or pic and graphic heavy sites, no unlimited option for those who do a lot of surfing hurts. Also how much bandwidth does YouTube use?

I really don't see how they couldn't have just left unlimited and offered the tiers for those who don't use their phone's data so much, satisfying both ends. So now, what do you do if you want streaming video on the new HD iPhone?
    AT&T doesn't really want people using YouTube or Netflix over 3G. Neither do I for that matter. I hope those users switch to Sprint or Verizon (AT&T's service will improve greatly if they do). I use both apps on my iPad but over Wi-Fi. They are hardly essential. Accessing email or certain websites may be essential, being able to make calls is essential. Streaming Netflix is most certainly not.
    Quote Originally Posted by callderek View Post
    You guys are crazy! That's why I left at&t, WAY too much money. With Sprint
    data is unlimited and installing Mobile Hotspot on my Pre I can get on the internets (series of tubes) anytime at no charge. I only do this occasionally because I understand that even with unlimited data a red flag goes up at 5gb.
    For me, AT&T is cheaper than Sprint.
    Me too.
    Just call me Berd.
    AT&T doesn't really want people using YouTube or Netflix over 3G. Neither do I for that matter. I hope those users switch to Sprint or Verizon (AT&T's service will improve greatly if they do). I use both apps on my iPad but over Wi-Fi. They are hardly essential. Accessing email or certain websites may be essential, being able to make calls is essential. Streaming Netflix is most certainly not.
    It's not anyone's fault but their own that they have a poor network. That's what you get when you get greedy for too many new customers, then don't spend your record profits improving the network in time. Yet they make the customer pay for their limitations.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's not anyone's fault but their own that they have a poor network. That's what you get when you get greedy for too many new customers, then don't spend your record profits improving the network in time. Yet they make the customer pay for their limitations.
    The problem AT&T has is they have too many customers consuming large quantities of data. By eliminating unlimited data plans, they encourage those type of customers to switch to another network. This benefits them by reducing load on there network and increasing their profits per subscriber. However, it also benefits customers who don't consume large quantities of data (e.g. me). It benefits us in two ways.

1) We are no longer forced to subsidize the "data hogs".
    2) We should see fewer network issues.
    How is that true??? I pay $69 for unlimited data, text and with mobile to mobile I use about 200 min of my anytime.
    Not to mention the service sux. I talkk everyday with at&t customers that have to step outside of their home to have any kind of signal. You used to have the same problem...no thanks.
    How is that true??? I pay $69 for unlimited data, text and with mobile to mobile I use about 200 min of my anytime.
    I pay $90 for two lines, one smartphone, one feature phone, text plan on both.
    Not to mention the service sux. I talkk everyday with at&t customers that have to step outside of their home to have any kind of signal. You used to have the same problem...no thanks.
    Not sure what you are talking about. I have never had to step outside to take a call on AT&T. My AT&T phones work better in my apartment than my old Verizon phone did.
    Your friends must be in an area where they're still on the 1900 band. - Old freq.
    Att has slowly been converting everything to the 850 band.

They recently converted the Tower near my home to 850, and now - Wow!

Myself, I've always had fantastice service with Att/Cing/Att.
    LOL ADGrant!

You just keep making excuses for AT&T's choices. They did this to themselves, plain and simple. But the customer has to pay in the end for AT&T's choices? Right.

I know the "blame others for my choices and actions" is rampant among individuals, but now corporations get to join in too???

I have a better idea. Drop the tightfisted exclusivity on the iPhone. I've read before that they somehow obtained an extension(this may not be confirmed though). Customers will leave, then AT&T will have no network problems because the rest of their phone line-up is a bit lacking, LOL!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/10/2010 at 11:48 AM.

LOL ADGrant!

You just keep making excuses for AT&T's choices. They did this to themselves, plain and simple. But the customer has to pay in the end for AT&T's choices? Right.

I know the "blame others for my choices and actions" is rampant among individuals, but now corporations get to join in too???

I have a better idea. Drop the tightfisted exclusivity on the iPhone. I've read before that they somehow obtained an extension(this may not be confirmed though). Customers will leave, then AT&T will have no network problems because the rest of their phone line-up is a bit lacking, LOL!
    Thanks to AT&T's choices my mobile data costs have been cut by 50%. So I am paying less for their choices (I switched to the new $15 at 6:00am Monday and was even able to retroactively apply the change to the start of my billing period). There are a lot of AT&T customers over at crackberry.com who are equally happy.

I would be very happy if Apple dropped the exclusivity on the iPhone. AT&T clearly would not. The exclusivity has its advantages for Apple too though. A nice big subsidy for the handset it one. The other is reduced engineering costs. AT&T's network uses the same wireless technology as the networks though most of the world. T-Mobile does too, but it has its own unique 3G frequency.

As for AT&T's phone line-up. I agree that their Android selection is definitely lacking but they do now have the Pre and the Pixi as well as a good selection of Blackberries. They are also having a fire sale for their Windows Mobile devices should you wish to add one to your collection. You can even get Nokias if to want.
    I did say I don't mind the tiers for less data users, they should have done that part way earlier instead of being greedy. Blackberries don't use that much data. You can also get the benefit of Opera Mini to even further compress pages.

My point is they got themselves into this by grabbing too many iPhone customers but failing to realize people would actually use more data on a big screen phone that loads full HTML, plus offered a YouTube app to begin with. Then when they went to the 3G model, they decide to charge more, so of course people will use what they're paying for. And they also failed to step up the network in time with their huge profits, which really burns. It was funny to see them post backtracks that they decided to improve their network, after getting bashed all over. And now they want to start limiting people at a time when video calling and streaming are now becoming mainstream, and claiming it's the network? I'm not sure I buy this excuse completely. It may be partly true, but it's really funny how you only get a $5 reduction but a 60% removal of your data allowance. Also they removed 50MB off the $15 data plan. Although that's still a decent deal for those who don't use data, that plan isn't really the problem IMO.

You know what also really bothers me a lot though, lying to people about unlimited data on the iPad within a month. Why did both AT&T and Apple do this crap??? Do you really think the first batches of 3G iPads weren't sold because of that unlimited hook? Otherwise save $130 and just get the wifi version.

Something smells here too. AT&T has always been shady. I have their home service too and you sometimes really need to look at your bill.

P.S. Their "Nokias" are absolute jokes. I have Nokias that aren't gimped, huge difference. The Blackberries are OK. WM phones, blah. There's way better ones out there that they aren't carrying. The Palms are good to see back, I agree.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/10/2010 at 01:25 PM.

You know what also really bothers me a lot though, lying to people about unlimited data on the iPad within a month. Why did both AT&T and Apple do this crap??? Do you really think the first batches of 3G iPads weren't sold because of that unlimited hook? Otherwise save $130 and just get the wifi version.

Something smells here too. AT&T has always been shady. I have their home service too and you sometimes really need to look at your bill.
    The iPad plan change is a little shady. I have the 3G iPad but have not signed up for service yet. I don't see the point in the Wi-fi only version unless you intend to never leave the house with your iPad.

If and when I do sign up, it will be for the $15 plan though. AT&T has a lot of wifi hotspots in Manhattan that the $15 plan gives you access to.
    Someone said they lost 40MB in one day. I'm not surprised because of the big screen and full HTML. He also thinks data runs in the background(iPhone does this too). I'd get the 2GB, but then how fast do you think that would go if you use it as a laptop replacement? Now the iPad almost truly does looks like a toy and validates the bashers. Grrr...

Someone said they lost 40MB in one day. I'm not surprised because of the big screen and full HTML. He also thinks data runs in the background(iPhone does this too). I'd get the 2GB, but then how fast do you think that would go if you use it as a laptop replacement? Now the iPad almost truly does looks like a toy and validates the bashers. Grrr...
    I would expect the iPad to need less data than the iPhone. The browser is basically the same as the iPhone's (the screen res is not much higher than the iPhone4 & flash is not supported). However, on the iPad there is an easy fix for the background data issue, don't leave the 3G radio turned on when you don't need it. I see it as more of a wi-fi device with the option to use 3G when no wi-fi signal is available. An iPhone is more of an always on device.
    How do you get push email and notifications if the radio is off?

How do you get push email and notifications if the radio is off?
    From my Blackberry (previously Centro).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast