Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    AT&T makes sweeping changes to data plans, iPhone tethering coming at OS 4 launch -- Engadget

Thanks for giving other carriers new customers.

The prices need to be a lot lower if they're going this route, since "unlimited' is still in the same price range as this on other carriers.

And they also neutered iPad users. AT&T is going to lose customers like Sprint used to.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    No iPhone owners are going anywhere.
    I don't think they will lose customers over this. If they do, it will be the customers they least want.

People currently on the $30 "unlimited" plan can stay on it as long as they like, so the new plans only affect new customers going forward.

Only smartphone users are likely to be affected by this, and I'm not sure, but I think there are still more "dumb" phone subscribers than smartphone ones. On top of that, the 2GB data cap on the DataPro plan would only affect 2 percent of their existing smartphone users. I think they made a calculated decision that for the pain that this small minority of their subscribers are causing them, the risk of them leaving for another carrier was worth it.

On the other hand, I think as time goes on, and data-intensive applications like streaming video and audio get more and more commonplace and popular, this decision will come back to haunt them. People will be less likely to purchase smartphones from carriers with limited data plans like this - what's the point if they can't use it as often as they'd like? Sure, there is always Wi-Fi - but as soon as I have to think about what kind of connection I am currently on, and whether I will go over my data cap - my smartphone, and my limited data service from AT&T - just got less valuable to me.

This move by AT&T amounts to a strategy to stay at their current size, maximize profit from their current infrastructure, limit the growth of their subscriber base, and reduce the bad press from dropped calls in certain parts of the country. It is a strategy of fear, and complacency.

If they would make the investment to improve their network infrastructure to the level that they wouldn't have to worry about this type of price plan finagling, I dare say they would gain more subscribers, and existing subscribers would be happy enough to recommend AT&T to their friends.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I disagree. This was very smart on AT&T's part. It will make data users more concious of their usage and finally opens the door to tethering on any devices. I wish they allowed free tethering though as that would increase their income through increased data usage as people would most likely blow past the 2gig limit on 4G with a laptop.

Also the $15 option is cheaper than VZW. You get 200MB vs 50MB for $10 on VZW. I don't see many people dumping AT&T due to this change.
  5.    #5  
    Not as long as $30 or under unlimited remains on other carriers. Now if they all start doing this, maybe it's another story. But AT&T is making itself less and less attractive. For $5 more or even the same amount, you can still get unlimited(or 5GB) on other carriers. And iPad owners get bait and switched, already.

If they're going this route, 2GB should be $20 max. Otherwise $5 bump up to unlimited is a better deal. They should have left unlimited alone and then added the other tiers at lower prices, but not these piddling amounts.

BTW, do you really buy their 98% use under 2GB? LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    No iPhone owners are going anywhere.
    Let iPhone go on another carrier and we'll see about that.

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    I disagree. This was very smart on AT&T's part. It will make data users more concious of their usage and finally opens the door to tethering on any devices. I wish they allowed free tethering though as that would increase their income through increased data usage as people would most likely blow past the 2gig limit on 4G with a laptop.

Also the $15 option is cheaper than VZW. You get 200MB vs 50MB for $10 on VZW. I don't see many people dumping AT&T due to this change.
    If T-Mobile didn't have stupid 3G bands, I'd have moved long ago. I DO see people weighing their options against other carriers. Do you think it's smart to pull a fast one on customers? What they really did was try to fool people into thinking they're discounting data plans when they're actually gimping them. $25 for 2GB vs. $30 Unlimited which they're removing entirely, LOL! Doing us a favor? Right.

Personally I think they should have had tiered data to begin with for those who don't use $30 worth, but this pricing structure is a farce. People from Europe are already laughing at us.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Let iPhone go on another carrier and we'll see about that.
    I honestly don't see that happening anytime soon, but I'm more than open to being wrong about that.
  9.    #9  

Me and my wife use less than 1gb/mo now combined. I'd pay less to use what I use and anyone who tethers as their primary internet SHOULD pay more. I'd say that over half the time I am on WiFi someplace so it is hard to even get close to 2gb. I was worried that these carriers would somehow raise prices for all while going to a cap on bandwith, but I could live with this. Makes the $10 extra for Sprint with the EVO (and I can assume all new smartphones that come out too) look kinda overpriced though.
    ATT had to do something because they cannot build their network out fast enough to cover the insane data usage of iPhone users. The only issue is that this "solution" is akin to wiping with tin foil. All it does is spread the mess around.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Wow, if the Iphone went to another carrier (if they can negotiate out of their contract) AT&T would see massive defections.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  13.    #13  
    Didn't Apple(Jobs specifically) announce unlimited data on the iPad? How's that going to work out? AT&T should get called out by Apple ASAP.

I'm with Phone Diva on this. It stinks. Whether iphone moves to Verizon or not, it won't matter. Verizon will move to a similar structure. Though i doubt Apple will be on V.

I can go back and look at my history and feel good about 2GB (like others are doing) but that is irrelevant. 3G will only get faster especially hspa+. More data consumption features will be added such as ichat, netflix, even tethering, etc. What you've used in the past won't matter. Especially if you're sharing 5mp pics (instead of 3), sharing HD video, streaming higher quality for the higher resolution screen, ...
    Given the way the iPhone screwed up their network, I suspect this will create more problems for iPhone users. They represent more than 60% of AT&T traffic, and they don't represent 60% of their user base. The iPhone isn't all that efficient in using bandwidth, and all those apps generate tons of traffic. A lot of this is also in prep for skype...
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    makes that required $10 extra for the evo 4g seem like chump change now!

sprint>>>>>
    The 'Deathstar' has a long history of squeezing every penny out of customer billing in the name of 'service'. After spending tons of cash to upgrade their network to handle all the data traffic after selling all the iPhones (better late than never), they have to get that back from somewhere.... that would be us (you).
    Yeah, Sprint rocks, left Verizon almost a year ago, one of the best moves that I have ever made.
    Everyone should watch this... it says that 98% of current AT&T smartphone customers will actually see their monthly bill go DOWN...

June 2: AT&T's 'unlimited data' charges - us daily view - companies - FT.com
  20.    #20  
    For people who only do email and light surfing. But I'll believe this benefits many AT&T customers when I see it, especially when they start with video calling and other stuff on the iPhone HD. On most of their other phones, it could indeed be true no one uses too much data because the phones basically suck for streaming and the like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast