Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Hi,

I'm looking at getting an AT&T Pre Plus, and am wondering what insurance to get. I'm thinking of buying the device from a 3rd party reseller like Wirefly, who offer different insurance from AT&T's (which is also provided by some third party).

Wirefly's insurance provider is "MDPA", whoever that is. The cost is $70 annually, and there is no deductable. They don't cover loss from negligence, or water damage. (Terms).

AT&T told me that their insurance is $5/mo, has a $125 deductable, and covers any form of fatal damage to the phone, including simply losing it somewhere. (This was told to me over the phone, so who knows how accurate it is).

Anyone have put these to the test?

Got another suggestion?

thanks
    Toby.
    $125 deductible? I think my VZ deductible is only $50, and it covers theft, stupidity, etc.

Have you looked at squaretrade to see if they have something that would work?

I pay the insurance for simplicity, and because my phone bill is covered by my employer... and I've had to use it a couple of times on previous phones (My Pre+ is still under warranty so it isn't really an issue yet).

But when I've used it in the past, it was $50... and it was a great service. I should probably head over to the verizon website and read the fine print to make sure it's still the same terms...

I figure by the time the warranty is up, there will be used phones available for less than $150, so a $125 deductible seems really harsh.
    hmmm, when I signed up for the insurance they told me it was a $50 deductable.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    hmmm, when I signed up for the insurance they told me it was a $50 deductable.
    Are you on AT&T?

I know that VZ offers two different levels of insurance. not sure if the deductible is different. I wonder if AT&T offers multiple flavors. We should all got to their web sites and check the fine print.

Hopefully the OP will also check squaretrade to see if they have a better deal. I know they've impressed me the one time I used them...
    yeah, I'm on at&t, but it wouldn't surprise me if they gave me the wrong info, but when I got the pre two weeks ago they said it was $50.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    yeah, I'm on at&t, but it wouldn't surprise me if they gave me the wrong info, but when I got the pre two weeks ago they said it was $50.
    Then what the heck did they tell the OP? I think he needs to talk to somebody else at AT&T... or maybe the rep was just trying to scare him over to an iPhone?
    Shazam! <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Hey All,

I just checked Squaretrade (thanks Cantaffordit for the pointer). Their splash page suggests their "Entry-level Smartphone" for the Pre. The little blurb says $96 for 2 years, "Buy Risk FREE! Cancel and we'll refund the unused portion. A $50 deductible applies to some claims."

The learn-more button reveals:
    "Cancel anytime and get the unused portion of your warranty price back. Cancellation within the first 60 days will receive a full refund. Cancellations beyond 60 days receive a pro-rated refund.

Additionally, you can transfer your warranty anytime at no charge. All accidental damage claims (e.g. drops, spills, and water damage) are subject to a $50 deductible.

Normal failures like battery failures are not subject to a deductible".

They even have a comparo window and it quotes, for AT&T Pre:
    "$4.99 / month plus $125 deductible (AT&T WPI)2"
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    OK, some more detail on the SquareTrade warranty (I broke all this into more than 1 post).

What is covered? gives:

" * 2 years of coverage (or more) The SquareTrade Cell Phone warranty covers your Cell Phone for 2 years or more, starting on the date of phone purchase.

All cell phones except iPhones (for which we have a special plan) are covered up to a maximum of the amount selected, or the unsubsidized replacement cost of your phone model at the time of replacement.
    * Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH) Most Cell Phone failures reported to SquareTrade are caused by accidents. The SquareTrade Cell Phone warranty protects against drops, spills, and other accidents!
    o Deductible: There is a $50 deductible when claiming on an accidentally damaged item (e.g. drops, spills). If your issue falls under the standard warranty terms (i.e., a mechanical or electrical failure), no deductible applies.
    o Exclusions: There is a 30-day exclusion window after you first purchase your item. ADH does not include loss, willful damage or damage occurring through gross misuse of the item. The damage must have occurred unintentionally while the item was being used as intended.
    o No Coverage from Loss: There is no coverage against lost or stolen phones. You can always cancel your warranty and receive a refund if that happens.
    * Extended coverage of the manufacturer's warranty The SquareTrade warranty also extends the same coverage as the manufacturer's warranty. This covers all mechanical and electrical problems that arise out of normal use. This includes most hardware failures and power/charging failures.
    o No deductible: If your phone fails because of a manufacturer defect, there is NO deductible to claim.
    o During the manufacturer warranty: If your phone fails while still under the manufacturer’s coverage, SquareTrade will refer you to the manufacturer first for issues covered by the manufacturer warranty. This allows you to preserve the full value of your SquareTrade warranty, instead of using it up on issues covered by the manufacturer."

**Note: No Coverage from Loss**

(Wirefly is the same, but I could swear that AT&T told me that accidental loss is covered -- but at this point I need to see that in writing!!).
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    From AT&T's website (link):

"Incidents Covered: lost, stolen, accidental damage, liquid damage, and mechanical or electrical failure after the manufacturer's warranty period has expired"

(Fine print says the warranty is through Assurion).

Deductible was quoted to me as $125, but according to the table linked to by that info page, there are very few devices in that price bracket, 99% appeared to be in the $50 bracket, and the wording says that your equipment may be moved to the lower deductible bracket during its lifetime, the deductible is determined at time of claim. Therefore you'd have to think that the Pre will be in the $50 bracket as soon as something newer comes along.

If you could be reasonably confident of that happening then it's probably the better warranty as it covers both lost phones & water damage. Still, guessing outcomes is what insurance is all about, right?

cheers,
    Toby.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    OK, I just got off the phone first with AT&T, and then with Assurion. AT&T guy bounced me in & out of hold a few times while he tried to get the answer to "what is the deductible". Finally comes back and says he talked to their "insurance department" and that 'the phone is so new they don't even have it in their system yet'. He gives me their number (888-562-8662), which I then call.

Turns out that this is Assurion, and their automated operator is tough to get past. Get someone on the phone and they are not super informative. They don't look up the Pre, something about I need an account before they can say for sure. But the upshot is that if it's a new smartphone it is definitely a $125 deductible. I ask how long before the phones typically drop to the lower bracket, she guesses 1 to 1.5 years. Confirms that their policy covers everything. Everything. Including alien invasion.

So there we have it.

cheers,
    Toby.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    For what it's worth, Assurion is the backend of Sprint's TEP (total equipment protection) plan for $7/month/device (I've got covered for $14/mo) and I've had chance to use it a couple times already. Since the exchanges were due to defective hardware (phone radio wouldn't right, the headphone jack wouldn't release, etc) and not due to negligence I haven't paid a penny. Otherwise the TEP covers all sorts of negligence including loss (which is a great out for "I overclocked my phone and fried the bah-geesos out it but if you find out you'll deny my claim" situations) for a $100 deductible.
    Very likely the contracts are similar with different price points for different carriers. One item to note, Assurion will give you a REFURBISHED phone. If this troubles you steer clear.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Don't believe Asurion on that. I had a blackberry bold 9700 and the rep said the deductible was $50. When I received my next month bill(they bill it to your account) it was clearly $125. I called and talked to a supervisor and they reviewed the call that was monitored, so they had to honor the verbal contract. So it being a Tier 2 device its $125 dollars.
    just added insurance for mine and the rep indicated that the AT&T PP+ deductible is $125.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I just went to get a SquareTrade warranty and some text about "using up" your warranty caught my eye. I called them, and after a bit of dithering they explained that the way it works is that your warranty, even though it might run for 2 years, is only good for a cumulative total of the retail value of your phone.

So my AT&T Pre+ costs $399 retail, so no matter how many times I make a warranty claim, they all add up until I reach $399, whereupon the warranty expires.

For example, if you drop your phone in the bathtub and it is destroyed, then they will refund you the full $399 (or less if the phone's replacement cost has lowered since you got the warranty). And then your warranty is closed. Done. You need to get a new warranty for your new phone.

If you break it and they can repair it then they'll keep tabs on the repair costs, so you might get the screen repaired once before they total the phone and give you the balance, which could be almost nothing, and not going to buy you anything useful. Ouch.

To be fair, the AT&T warranty has a $125 deductible for each claim on top of the monthly fee, so you're still ahead with SquareTrade, except that SquareTrade doesn't cover a lost phone like AT&T does.
    thanks,
    Toby.