Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I walked in right as the opened the door to the store, there was a family already in there but they werent wanting the ONLY pre there. So i asked if i could get a pre. They didnt try to sell me anything else. They however didnt know about the free touchstone and one of the employees actually told me you didnt get one. However they looked it up and found out they had none in stock and shipped one to me. Other than that we cracked a few jokes at the palm rep for having to stay there all day when i took the only pre there at noon.

Overall a B- or C+ exp. Kinda bugged me about how they didnt know about the touchstone and that they werent very talkative other than what i asked.
    My experience was a bit odd, I thought. First they didn't have a demo. The rep said "we can find out which other stores have a demo" - very passive. But since I knew so much about the phone, I said I'd take one anyway. I asked about the Touchstone and at first he didn't seem to know about that, but then it got cleared up. Then he said they didn't have any in stock, and I could come back for it, but it was free-after-rebate. Another rep brought out a box of them, so he said "ok, since I lied, you can have $50 off the phone." Then it turns out the Touchstones were with the USB cable, so he said I could pay the $20 difference, and don't worry about the rebate. It was very confusing, but I got out of the store for $220 out of pocket before tax. Like I said, it all felt rather odd, and it was more confusing than this telling, but I got a Pre+ for $99 (after rebate). (I told him, "tell me some more lies so we can get this thing down to $49" - gotta try, right?)
    Well now, I have so very happy I finally have my AT&T GSM Palm Pre!

Not so happy with my AT&T store experience.

Leading up to the Launch and even after it was posted the stores in general are clueless. Three local corporate stores received 1-4 units per store. On launch day and thru today (05/18/10) they have no inventory of the promotional touchstones. Really is this the best they could do?

Oh thats right home of the iPhone, what was I thinking?!?! Now let me say I have a lot of respect for the iPhone and I can also identify that it is on version 3.0 and soon 4.0. Our WebOS is only on 1.4 and I am very excited for WebOS come 2.0, 3.0, or 4.0! However the iPhone is not the correct device for me, I need the keypad and I love WebOS. I do want an iPad to tether to my Palm Pre (using MyTether, which works great). I will trade it in for a PalmPad when it launches.

My thought is they should at least make and effort and let the success speak for itself. The Asst Manager at the store I purchased from actually said "I don't know how all these people know about the Pre we have not ran ads", really I noticed. Oh and now I have my alert email from AT&T that the Palm Pre is now available on Monday/Tuesday, and it was available on Sunday.

Well I have a feeling that AT&T's Stealth Marketing plan will be a success in sinking the Palm Pre.

Anyway I have it I love it, a little concerned about the battery life but I am going to place touchstone everywhere.

Regards
    graylion
    I waited in line and of course, the sales reps at the retail store knew nothing. They were out of the touchstone charger.

They also had informed me the day before that there were only six phones that were shipped to the store.

Come to find out, three of them were for DISPLAY!!!! I was #2 in line. Apparently their training consisted of a 30minute webinar.....
    I'm really liking these experiences - keep them coming.

It seems the process, for most of you, went well. However, it's kinda funny how they didn't know about the free TouchStone, and you here at PreCentral knew to ask for it.
    Makes you wonder how many have walked out with a new pre without a touchstone not knowing any better. Or worse, how many Att Touchstones Att was able to sell to these unsuspecting Pre buyers.
    My in-store experience was fairly pathetic. Their price on the shelf was $250 with a $100 mail-in rebate. I mentioned that the online price was $150 flat, and the guy pleaded ignorance. Unfortunately, this is a corporate store, but I've had bad experiences with it previously, so I can't say I'm surprised. So, I came home and ordered one online. Strange thing there is that I did not see the Touchstone mentioned in the upgrade deal. It seems to only be mentioned in the new family activation package (at the 900 minute level). I'll try calling customer service Thursday if it doesn't come with the phone when it comes in.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    My store experience was not bad. The guy was friendly, excited about the phone, and walked me through it all. By the time I left, he was going to buy one for himself.

What ****es me off is my experience after leaving the store. On Sunday, as other people found, I was offered a mail-in-rebate that would be delivered in 6-8 weeks as a Visa card. Not happy about that, but I'll take that as the price of being an early adopter.

What I won't take is finding out on Monday that the online store is offering an instant rebate. So I call AT&T to get the instant rebate. Rep tells me that they don't get the same offers. The online offers are not available to the physical stores. The phone reps also get different offers than the online store or the physical store. So, she can't (or won't) help me. So I left a bad review in the survey and asked them to call me back. Not holding my breath for that.

Now it's Tuesday and I see Amazon selling it for $49 with instant rebate! I expect prices to drop over the months, but not over the first three days that the phone is being sold! AT&T, why, oh why, do you want to punish your early adopters?!!!
    In a previous phone-buy, the rebate was the debit/credit card, so I was prepared up front this time. This time I have to actually use it though!
    I went to the AT&T store in Pasadena, CA and they were clueless about the launch of the Pre. No ads, no display model. The associate was friendly and capable -- he went online to find out about the launch and then to the back room where he found a unit to sell to me. I got the impression I was buying the only one they had in the store. They had a Touchstone but it was not the SKU mentioned in the offer, so the associate said they'd mail it. The associate mentioned the iPhone three times in a kind of 'are you SURE?' way. Very very little support -- I knew way more than anybody there.
    Quote Originally Posted by petekrueger View Post
    My store experience was not bad. The guy was friendly, excited about the phone, and walked me through it all. By the time I left, he was going to buy one for himself.

What ****es me off is my experience after leaving the store. On Sunday, as other people found, I was offered a mail-in-rebate that would be delivered in 6-8 weeks as a Visa card. Not happy about that, but I'll take that as the price of being an early adopter.

What I won't take is finding out on Monday that the online store is offering an instant rebate. So I call AT&T to get the instant rebate. Rep tells me that they don't get the same offers. The online offers are not available to the physical stores. The phone reps also get different offers than the online store or the physical store. So, she can't (or won't) help me. So I left a bad review in the survey and asked them to call me back. Not holding my breath for that.

Now it's Tuesday and I see Amazon selling it for $49 with instant rebate! I expect prices to drop over the months, but not over the first three days that the phone is being sold! AT&T, why, oh why, do you want to punish your early adopters?!!!
    That's not fair of you at all. The service reps can't do anything about that and the reason why online prices are less than in stores?

1. You don't get it instantly, so they don't need to keep stock on hand nor protect that stock from theft

2. They don't have to pay a sales rep

You should give a better survey rating to the sales reps.
    Quote Originally Posted by petekrueger View Post
    Well, considering the crazy things in the Amazon pricing (5-7 week availability, wrong specs and manufacturer, etc.), I'm not sure getting upset about their price makes that much sense. The AT&T oddities seem far more off-putting.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewakaMJ View Post
    Stopped by an AT&T store yesterday to play with the Pre, before I ordered it this morning (you know, just to be sure). The store was a zoo, so I didn't talk to the reps, but I went to play with the Pre and it wasn't even logged in...just sitting there in the "enter email address/password" screen. Because that will really sell people on it...

Exactly my experience on Monday. MONDAY!

They didn't seem to know much about the phone.

But no, they didn't seem to want to sell my other phones and they complemented the pre several times.

They didn't have any touchstones in stock on Monday when I went in, but they called me later and I got it today (Tuesday).
    why not just return it? and then order from amazon? your def well within 30 days.
    Hi all i have been a lurker on her for a while and wanted to post here to see if anyone had the same experience at the stores that i did.

I went and bought my Pre on sunday afternoon. The first store i went to, they had not a single one. The sales associate suggested i go to a Authorized store. Of which i did and they had ONE. I supposed i went in and got their only Pre. I am guessing they did not have an inkling that they would get a big rush.

When the sales associate brought out the pre she basically said she knew nothing about the phone or what it could do. If i had not known about the Pre I do not think they would have even brought it up. When she rang up the phone i asked her about the touchstone. She then went into the back and made a call and told me that she had no knowledge of that promotion. She said that that promotion probably would not be put into play until they find out how many phones they are selling and if the demand was high enough they would add that promotion.

I went through the activation and if i had not know how to set up the phone she would not have known. It was a very **** poor experience and i felt like it was more like a self serve upgrade.

I did walk out with the pre and do love it but not because of anyone at the AT&T store. Did any of you have the same experience? Was i the only one who had this kind of exp.

Thanks and talk to you all soon,

Drezin
    Quote Originally Posted by pellegrino View Post
    I went to the AT&T store in Pasadena, CA and they were clueless about the launch of the Pre. No ads, no display model. The associate was friendly and capable -- he went online to find out about the launch and then to the back room where he found a unit to sell to me. I got the impression I was buying the only one they had in the store. They had a Touchstone but it was not the SKU mentioned in the offer, so the associate said they'd mail it. The associate mentioned the iPhone three times in a kind of 'are you SURE?' way. Very very little support -- I knew way more than anybody there.
    Which Pasadena store did you go to? (Old Town or Foothill?) all the ones I've hit up in the Los Angeles area seem to be absolutely clueless about the Pre.
    Got my ATT Pre this afternoon, after seeing the email about it finally being released yesterday. Walked in about 1:30PM, told the guy what I wanted. After struggling to get the box opened (he told me they had not unboxed one yet), he managed to set it up and get it working. Although I wasn't due for a phone upgrade yet, they waved the fee for renewing a 2 year contract. Also, they threw in the touchstone charger for free, plus there is a $100 dollar mail in rebate. As I was packing up all the materials, the guy told me how lucky I was. Apparently, there was someone in there right before me asking about the Pre, and decided not to buy it. Turns out, the store only had 1!

I guess I'd be mad if they were out, but I'm very pleased with my experience so far. Just got Preware up and running literally minutes ago, and successfully tested the homebrew Mobile HotSpot app as I type this. 12 hours in to ownership and I couldn't be happier.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Just went to at ATT store this morning even though I already had my Pre since Sun (05/16). They now that this special demo app set up on the phone where it allow users to select features to demo. I thought it was a great little app. I wish we could get a hold of it...
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    Just went to at ATT store this morning even though I already had my Pre since Sun (05/16). They now that this special demo app set up on the phone where it allow users to select features to demo. I thought it was a great little app. I wish we could get a hold of it...
    They do. I accidentally ran across it in the app store yesterday. Search for AT&T.
  19.    #39  
    surprised that they only get 2 to 4 stock...
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I mean come on... It's almost as if Palm isn't even trying. how is it possible that multiple users have come on here and said that the stores they went to only had a few of the phones on hand? is it me, or does it seem like palm is intentionally trying to fail. i don't get it... and don't even get me started on the touchstone thing... another great big WT F... people should be walking out of the ATT stores happily w/Pre and Touchstone in hand ready to go.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast