1.    #1  
    Hey everyone, I'm totally new to the Palm Pre. I'm a long-time AT&T customer, and I plan to replace my current iPhone 3G with the Palm Pre Plus on Monday.

I've heard a lot of people say you'd be crazy to pay so much for an aging phone just a month or so before the iPhone 4G (actually the G4) is released, but hear me out...I've been a dedicated iPhone user for 2 years now, and I had been waiting for the next iPhone to be released before taking advantage of my upgrade. However, when I heard the Pre was going to be carried by AT&T I changed my mind.

First of all, I am not a fan of the 4.0 OS at all...at least not on the iPhone. The iPhone OS was designed to be simple and straight forward and Apple seems to be adding too many features to an OS that wasn't designed to accommodate those features. The result, to me, is an OS that is starting to look cluttered and unintuitive. Now, I also own an iPad and it's clear to me the 4.0 software fits that piece of hardware far far better than the phone.

Second, the new iPhone's front facing camera doesn't appeal to me. I never video chat or use that sort of feature, so it means nothing to me.

Third, the new iPhone's HD quality screen is impressive, but I honestly never ever watch movies on my current iPhone. Again, I have an iPad for those sorts of occasions.

Finally, what I do like to do is multi-task and have several programs running at the same time. The next iPhone will be able to do that, but the Pre simply seems to do it better.

For all of those reasons, I intend to give up my beloved iPhone this Monday and join the Palm bandwagon. Am I crazy? Making the wrong decision? Or will I be totally pleased with my purchase? I don't want buyer's remorse because I'm stuck with this phone for the next two years!
    I think you will love it. aif you like the pre size and screen, you will still like it if/when there is a newer webOS phpne on at&t. And if they are launching this week, it will be awhile before at&t gets newer hardware.

I highly recommend it!
    I think your crazy enough to like the pre.
    And yes once you understand the phone you will be totally pleased with your purchase.
    I think the fact that you are admit you find the iphone unintuitive means that you will really enjoy how easy and nice the pre is to use.
    I've used android and iphone and I came back to the pre. I love webos it's def the better os we just need more people so we get more apps. And I got so good at using this little damn keyboard it's great. They better put this keyboard on the pre2. I never want a touch keyboard now.
    Just out of curiosity, will you be switching service providers as part of this change or are you sticking with AT&T?
    yea I'd get a sprint pre before a pre plus lol. You save so much money on sprint and I have perfect service. I switched from verizon. Pre plus isn't really that big of a deal. I've never gotten the 2many cards memory error so...
    first of all....it's good to see an iphone user who is able to make up their own minds and not just follow the herd lol

second...welcome to webos. i'm sure you're going to love it and not have any regrets from what it sounds like. and remember this forum is here if u have any problems, you'll find it A LOT more helpful than going to your at&t store for questions
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I'd wait and see if HP/Palm is going to do make a new phone... especially if you're thinking about switching to Sprint.

If you're staying on AT&T, then the Pre Plus sounds great... However, I will have to tell you that it will be slower than the Iphone.
    The battery life can also be pretty bad if you live in an area with low-decent coverage.

You'll have to overclock it and use a type of scaler to make it fast and keep battery life at bay.
    It's not that hard, and you don't need to be a genius.

If you feel comfortable still, then go for it!
    This phone has arguably the best user interface, but remember... there are some flaws here that many people do not want to admit. There are certain fixes as well, and they're not hard either.
    et an extended battery and an external charger. You will play with it so much you will kill he battery.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    Just out of curiosity, will you be switching service providers as part of this change or are you sticking with AT&T?
    I'm sticking with AT&T. My iPhone is upgrade eligible, but I added a line a few months ago so I have a long way to go on my contract. And aside from cost, I'm more than happy with the quality of my service. I live in "fly over" country so I've never had the connection or dropped call issues that have plagued AT&T customers in more populated areas.

Also, I prefer to have a GSM phone. There is also the fact that nearly all my friends and family have AT&T, so the free mobile-mobile is nice. I barely use any actual voice minutes each month and have thousands of roll over minutes if needed.

I really really wish I could take advantage of the Pre's ability to act as a mobile hotspot. Damned AT&T for disabling that feature.
    each line has its own contracts. If you are eligible to upgrade, isometime in the next 4 months your contract for that line will expire. At which point you can cancel it without affecting your other lines....

As for ATT disabling the hotspot feature..... Sprint never actually enabled it so........ hope your not to timid to try homebrew!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    sprint allows free mobile to mobile and it's anyone on any network so you will never use any mins unless your calling a land line. Sprint is also 20 bucks cheaper a month than at&t for my plan that's $480 in my pocket. AND we get an upgrade every year insted of every 2. The higher the plan and more lines the better your savings. Unless there's no sprint in your area I see no reason to stay with any other network. And sprint never enabled mobile hotspot on pre but they don't bother charging us for using it on our own
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicembaylor View Post
    For all of those reasons, I intend to give up my beloved iPhone this Monday and join the Palm bandwagon. Am I crazy? Making the wrong decision? Or will I be totally pleased with my purchase? I don't want buyer's remorse because I'm stuck with this phone for the next two years!
    Are you crazy...no
    Are you making the wrong decision...not necessarily

Use your 30days to decide and make a educated decision. Remember your welcome here and not trapped.
    i too am coming from an iphone 3g and will be upgrading to a pre plus this monday. While the 4g iphone is tempting, i kinda want to try something new, the iphone os is getting stale. I do worry about the smaller screen, but after seeing all the reviews it seems that the at&t version has solid build quality and I'll still have my iphone as my backup phone/app phone for whenever I need it, i can just pop the sim card back in there (i love GSM )
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    i too am coming from an iphone 3g and will be upgrading to a pre plus this monday. While the 4g iphone is tempting, i kinda want to try something new, the iphone os is getting stale. I do worry about the smaller screen, but after seeing all the reviews it seems that the at&t version has solid build quality and I'll still have my iphone as my backup phone/app phone for whenever I need it, i can just pop the sim card back in there (i love GSM )
    I agree with all of that. The iPhone has definitely become stale for me. Time for something new.

I went to my local AT&T store tonight and tried to talk them into selling me a Pre early since they're closed on Sunday but no dice. .