Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I won't stick around if you try to muscle me.

My recent experience;
    (actually it happened about two months ago)

I'm not sure if there was updates being done on the towers near my wife's work or not...
    But about two months ago, she and others who had Att, lost their reception when they got to the office. They'd all have fine reception, but would lose it once they got to the office. When they headed home, they'd get alerted of Voicemails from the missed calls they had that day. I did a google search and found a suggestion that worked - turn the phone off for about a minute, and when you turn it back on it registers with the local tower. This solved their issue for then - seems everything is back to normal there at her office now.

Now, to get to my issue with Att;

One day (back when she was having those reception issues) I went down there to see if the same thing would happen to my phone - it didn't.
    So I swapped her Sim with mine, just to see what would happen. Of course, we both now had reception - re-registered with the tower.

Actually, I will now get to the real issue I have with Att;

Last week I checked my Att bill online and noticed it went up $30 per month, for the last two months.
    They added a data plan to my wife's phone.
    Just a basic candybar Samsung something.
    I called them to ask why they added a data plan to my wife's phone.
    CS said because her phone registered as a pda phone, and their policy requires all pda phones to have a data plan. I asked the girl to look and see how much data my wife had used for the last two months, and the girl said none.
    I asked if it's their policy to force people to a data plan for nothing more than using a pda phone for 1 minute? The CS girl told me when I switched sims that it registered with the tower as a pda and that's why the plan changed.

I have friends that Att has told that they require you to have a data plan for any pda phone, whether you use data or not. Sounds fair
    Just call me Berd.
    Sprint and Verizon have the same policy... Most carriers do. Welcome to the world of cellphones
    I read that crap too(there's even a thread on it here) and I even read if you didn't get the phone through them, they could still add the plan. THAT'S objectionable!!

But the flip side, USE THE HECK OUT OF IT IF THEY CHARGE YOU!!
    Get those streaming apps downloaded!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Sprint and Verizon have the same policy... Most carriers do. Welcome to the world of cellphones

I know...

I'm outta touch.

I've been with Att since they were Att, then Cingular, and back to Att.

Though I'm just now becoming aware of this "policy".... It's still crap.

I have friends that like the Centro and use no data, whatsoever.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

I know...

I'm outta touch.

I've been with Att since they were Att, then Cingular, and back to Att.

Though I'm just now becoming aware of this "policy".... It's still crap.

I have friends that like the Centro and use no data, whatsoever.
    Yea, that's just a way for them to force you to pay more. "Oh, you want this nice phone? Yea, you'll need to pay an additional $30 a month to use it."

It seems that most phones out there now require some kind of data plan. Only the most basic of phones don't require one...
  6.    #6  
    Here I come, Cricket. j/k
    Just call me Berd.
    Here I come, Cricket. j/k
    You might as well get Boost Mobile
    Yea, that's just a way for them to force you to pay more. "Oh, you want this nice phone? Yea, you'll need to pay an additional $30 a month to use it."

It seems that most phones out there now require some kind of data plan. Only the most basic of phones don't require one...
    One reason they give is people complaining that pay as you go data charges are too high(who makes it such?). IMO it's the plan that's too high, because on AT&T the same dumbphone plan works on PDAs(or used to before this, maybe not anymore since they track your IMEI and raise rates). I'm not sure of T-Mobile but it seems to be the same thing from what I've read.

And the reason they all give for charging double is that we use more data. However "unlimited" is supposed to mean "unlimited", no matter what. The bandwidth usage may be higher on PDAs but it's shady to sell "unlimited" at double price if we're all accessing the same data, smartphone and dumbphone users alike.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Big, Big differance, Your PDA Smartphone is using TONS more data than a standard smartphone or feature phone, Web, Mail, News, Notifications, you would be charged way more without the 29.99 data plan, I look at it this way, If you can afford a $600.00 PDA Smartphone and intend to use it as it was made for, Stop complaining about 29.99 a month for UNLIMITED data.
    So what? Unlimited is unlimited. Why do we have to pay more for the same data access?

And you think dumbphone users can't access all that? You've seen the newer dumbphones? But AT&T doesn't demand data on those, but they demand a texting plan. You can't have just basic phone service anymore on AT&T and use extras when you need them.

P.S. I do need to clarify something. The reason why I think AT&T is being shady is because it's been proven before that when you move the SIM from a dumbphone with the MediaMax(or Media Net) data plan to a smartphone, the data still works just fine. There really is NO difference. People have bought dumbphone data plans for Nokias, which AT&T doesn't think are smartphones, data works fine. And I even have a pre-paid phone with pre-paid data using a smartphone. Data works fine. Both dumbphone and smartphone users are likely accessing the same network. So our "unlimited" is somehow worth more than a dumbphone users "unlimited"? How? Unlimited is unlimited and it's the same network. I get what you're saying about smartphones supposedly using more data, but what would stop the dumbphone user from also using up tons of data? Once again, unlimited is unlimited, so the rates should be the same IMO.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/03/2010 at 07:07 PM.

More like world of shysters.

Only in North America they do that. I've NEVER heard of such things outside.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    More like world of shysters.

Only in North America they do that. I've NEVER heard of such things outside.
    It doesn't really bother me too much. Sprint has the $69.00/month plan with unlimited data, sms, mms, and free mobile-to-mobile calling. It's a great deal
  13.    #13  
    It doesn't really bother me too much. Sprint has the $69.00/month plan with unlimited data, sms, mms, and free mobile-to-mobile calling. It's a great deal
    That is a good deal that I'm surely tempted to go with.
    Just call me Berd.
    That is a good deal that I'm surely tempted to go with.
    Plus it's pretty easy to get discounts. I don't know too much about it, but I'm sure other people here are very familiar with how to get them. Some even save you 20% off your monthly bill
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So what? Unlimited is unlimited. Why do we have to pay more for the same data access?

And you think dumbphone users can't access all that? You've seen the newer dumbphones? But AT&T doesn't demand data on those, but they demand a texting plan. You can't have just basic phone service anymore on AT&T and use extras when you need them.

P.S. I do need to clarify something. The reason why I think AT&T is being shady is because it's been proven before that when you move the SIM from a dumbphone with the MediaMax(or Media Net) data plan to a smartphone, the data still works just fine. There really is NO difference. People have bought dumbphone data plans for Nokias, which AT&T doesn't think are smartphones, data works fine. And I even have a pre-paid phone with pre-paid data using a smartphone. Data works fine. Both dumbphone and smartphone users are likely accessing the same network. So our "unlimited" is somehow worth more than a dumbphone users "unlimited"? How? Unlimited is unlimited and it's the same network. I get what you're saying about smartphones supposedly using more data, but what would stop the dumbphone user from also using up tons of data? Once again, unlimited is unlimited, so the rates should be the same IMO.
    I completely agree with you. I love my service with at&t, but every single policy change they have made since the merger to become at&t again have been crap, and the only good ones have been copied from Verizon.

If they're really worried about data use, there is one simple solution, and that is a REASONABLE tiered data plan package. something like 1gb for 15, 5gb for 20, 10gb for 30, 20gb for 40 and so forth. And with the data usage tiered like that it shouldn't matter how the data is used, so if it won't matter what phone I have or how I use my data (tethered, data card, smart phone, dumbphone) as long as I'm within my limit I should be fine.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    I completely agree with you. I love my service with at&t, but every single policy change they have made since the merger to become at&t again have been crap, and the only good ones have been copied from Verizon.

If they're really worried about data use, there is one simple solution, and that is a REASONABLE tiered data plan package. something like 1gb for 15, 5gb for 20, 10gb for 30, 20gb for 40 and so forth. And with the data usage tiered like that it shouldn't matter how the data is used, so if it won't matter what phone I have or how I use my data (tethered, data card, smart phone, dumbphone) as long as I'm within my limit I should be fine.
    True. ATT top brass has talked in the last couple of months about how good a tiered data package would be for them. So I do see them going that route. I think its just a matter of ATT trying to figure out how to make the most off of someone without giving that person too much data that could throw their network into peril once again.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I have a palm pre and a samsung instinct on sprint. I've checked data usage each month, and i'm using roughly 10 times as much data on my pre than on my instinct. The reason is simple, it loads full webpages (most of the time), it has apps that poll data, i stream music on it, and i do time wasting web browsing on it. I can't do all of that on my instinct. it's just not possible. I use about 2-2.5gb of data a month on my pre, and around .25-.5gb on my instinct. This is why they charge more for pda data. It's unlimited but they know that pda's use more data, so they charge more. The theory is that the people that use the most data should pay more for the network. Is it wrong to assume that everybody that has a pda phone (smartphone) uses a ton of data? maybe, but i speak from experience that my smartphone uses a lot more data that my "dumb phone."
    Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    I have a palm pre and a samsung instinct on sprint. I've checked data usage each month, and i'm using roughly 10 times as much data on my pre than on my instinct. The reason is simple, it loads full webpages (most of the time), it has apps that poll data, i stream music on it, and i do time wasting web browsing on it. I can't do all of that on my instinct. it's just not possible. I use about 2-2.5gb of data a month on my pre, and around .25-.5gb on my instinct. This is why they charge more for pda data. It's unlimited but they know that pda's use more data, so they charge more. The theory is that the people that use the most data should pay more for the network. Is it wrong to assume that everybody that has a pda phone (smartphone) uses a ton of data? maybe, but i speak from experience that my smartphone uses a lot more data that my "dumb phone."
    Yep, the problem with the Palm phones is that they are soooo much fun that we can't stop messing with them. That uses lots of bandwidth and is rough on the battery. I have noticed that Pre users (myself included) never put them down, and never stop "checking" sites like PreCentral... It's an addiction!
    Plus it's pretty easy to get discounts. I don't know too much about it, but I'm sure other people here are very familiar with how to get them. Some even save you 20% off your monthly bill
    almost to easy, I chatted with sprint online and asked about a 23% discount a friend of mine had for working for ADT. I wanted to know if it was true and if my employer offered it. This is what happened:

Me: Is it true ADT employees get a 23% discount?

Online Rep: Please give me a moment to check on that

Online Rep: That is correct Mr. Johnson ADT employees receive a 23% Discount, Would you like me to apply that to your account as well?

Me: OF COURSE!

Online Rep: I have added that to your account, it may take a billing cycle to show up, is there anything else I can do for you?

Me:.... is it true ADT employees get a check for $100?

Last part may not have happened... but man, I dont work for ADT, I NEVER SAID I DID!!! In fact never mentioned my employer, about 10mins later I got an email congratulating me for signing up for some employer based program with sprint and it said my employment had be verified! I get a email from them with all kinds of discounts each month from phones to accesories....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post

idk, it looks like it's going to go that way, but honestly I dont care how much data I'm using, I want a flat rate so I can forget about it. Maybe simply offering differant speeds would suffice? Keep feature phones using edge or 3g data and allow smartphones access to the LTE stuff?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast