Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    but honestly I dont care how much data I'm using, I want a flat rate so I can forget about it. Maybe simply offering differant speeds would suffice? Keep feature phones using edge or 3g data and allow smartphones access to the LTE stuff?
    Tiered pricing is a pipe dream, the math doesn't support it. Why would carriers lower their data prices when they don't have to? At best, things stay the same or competition drives down prices a la Sprint, at worst, they create MORE EXPENSIVE plans for heavy users & 4G services and continue shafting the rest of us on 3G or Media Net.

Look at messaging, on ATT it's 200 or Unlimited, there's no reason for them to create a middle option of say 1000 b/c they'd loose money. People who only use 500 messages would jump down and continue only using 500 messages, the same applies to data.
    Last edited by Treiz; 05/10/2010 at 08:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treiz View Post
    Tiered pricing is a pipe dream, the math doesn't support it. Why would carriers lower their data prices when they don't have to? At best, things stay the same or competition drives down prices a la Sprint, at worst, they create MORE EXPENSIVE plans for heavy users and continue shafting the rest of us.

Look at messaging, on ATT it's 200 or Unlimited, there's no reason for them to create a middle option of say 1000 b/c they'd loose money. People who only use 500 messages would jump down and continue only using 500 messages, the same applies to data.
    There's no such thing as a carrier losing money on text messages or text message packages. Each message costs the carrier about $0.01 ......

Text messaging is all profit and those profits often subsidize data services which believe it or not the carriers do have trouble breaking even on. Profits from SMS text messaging packages aslo help fund system growth and improvements.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    There's no such thing as a carrier losing money on text messages or text message packages. Each message costs the carrier about $0.01 ......

Text messaging is all profit and those profits often subsidize data services which believe it or not the carriers do have trouble breaking even on. Profits from SMS text messaging packages aslo help fund system growth and improvements.
    That sounds like our System Access Fee fiasco...

I know you work for them, but that explanation is just ridiculous. Improving the network should be the cost of the provider, not responsibility of the consumer in the form of a charge.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    There's no such thing as a carrier losing money on text messages or text message packages. Each message costs the carrier about $0.01
    I meant relative to what they were already making. Adding a middle tier isn't going to make light users use more, it will only allow medium users to jump down from the unlimited option, thus the company gets less revenue when they could have if they just left it alone.

Improving the network should be the cost of the provider, not responsibility of the consumer in the form of a charge.
    One way or the other the consumer pays for everything.
    My mom upgraded to a BlackBerry but she hardly used data. She got the phone because she liked the keyboard, but realized the keyboard wasn't worth the $30 a month. The same with my dad, too. He only uses the web browser on his BlackBerry a couple of times, but not often. Although he keeps the data plan.
    Good thing I got to keep my Mediamax 200 plan with unlimited web and 200 messages for $19.99
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12