1.    #1  
    How is it working out with your Treo on Cingular in the LA area?

Since I'm constantly carrying a phone and my Edge, it seems like I'm a perfect candidate.

Would like to hear anybody's "Attack of the Phones" stories.

Thanks,

RangerBob
  2. Kan
    I have a sprint phone and my treo. I almost never ever use my sprint phone. Altho it's kind of funny how one phone will have no signal at one place and the other will.
    Originally posted by RangerBob
    How is it working out with your Treo on Cingular in the LA area?
    I have used my Treo at various locations between Santa Barbara and La Jolla (so far). It has performed as good or better than any cell phone I've used in the same areas.
    FWIW, about 2 months ago I got a Treo 180 and am on Cingular here in the SF Bay area. The quality leaves something to be desired--dead spots, dropped calls, busy network--far worse than my old AT&T service on TDMA with a Nokia 8260. Of note, there has been front page press here for the past 2 days about State investigation of Cingular for fraud, bad service, lack of customer support, etc. Additionally, the latest is that Cingular has signed a network sharing agreement with VoiceStream here in CA and also in other western states, so now VoiceStream is going to roll out a major marketing blitz here to try and grab new customers. The oversaturated GSM networks here will only get more so. I wish I had a real choice, but for now, Treo/GSM is it, and Cingular is what I have to live with. For me, Sprint (Treo 300) is an even worse option, as I had a Sprint phone for years and suffered with an even thinner network. YMMV--good luck.
    Originally posted by jposin
    Of note, there has been front page press here for the past 2 days about State investigation of Cingular for fraud, bad service, lack of customer support, etc.
    I heard about the state investigating a provider, but I didn't pay much attention because it wasn't Cingular. If it just came up during the past 2 days, then yes I have missed since I've been busy with other things due to the holiday.

I must say however that my experiences with Cingular customer service/support have been wonderful. Much more than my experiences with Handspring customer service/support. Cingular reps have bent over backwards to get me what I want.
    Cingular in LA can go from fantastic to non-existant in about 3 miles.

Seriously. Where I live I'm lucky enough to have 4 out of 5 bars of signal, even indoors.

At my girlfriends place 3 exits down the freeway, you can stand in the front yard and have no service. (This is about 200 yards from the 60 Freeway!)

There are spots in LA where you can get dropped, driving along an 8 lane freeway! That's ridiculous.

On the other hand, when it's good, it's golden. Most of the time if I'm in a decent area, the person on the other end can't tell that I'm on a cellular. It is virtually indistinguishable from a landline.

Bottom line, borrow a Cingular phone from someone and try it out in the areas you will commonly use it. (Office, home, shopping, etc).
    There are spots in LA where you can get dropped, driving along an 8 lane freeway! That's ridiculous.
    Often that isn't a result of sparse coverage but rather moving from one cell into a full one. With no place for your signal to go (all cell towers are full) you get dropped. Still, it's easy enough to fix (increase the cell's capacity or shrink cells).
    Originally posted by KRamsauer

Often that isn't a result of sparse coverage but rather moving from one cell into a full one. With no place for your signal to go (all cell towers are full) you get dropped. Still, it's easy enough to fix (increase the cell's capacity or shrink cells).
    As far as I'm concerned, that's the same problem. The exact technical reason really shouldn't be my concern, it's Cingular's!