Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm's mythical 3rd WebOS device could be tested by a major carrier within two weeks. This rumor leaves us with questions.

A). It's rumored to have a soft keyboard. Not sure what that is, and maybe it's short for software keyboard??????

B). The device is supposedly targeted for European release. Could it be that Palm intends to directly market an unlocked GSM version in the USA?

Hungry for one last rumor? Try this date on for size, Monday April 26th. That's the date Verizon's "rumored" 90 day exclusivity agreement for the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus ends. Of course turning this rumor into reality probably depends more on how quick Palm can manufacture and deliver enough Pre and Pixi Plus's with north american GSM communication boards inside than anything else ....

TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 03/17/2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Personal reasons
    whered you get this info?
    ok.. So atts getting palms PP+
    Yeah, sources matter

If true, it means that Palm could have a new device ready enough to show off during the GDC this week. And if that's true, then I had better get my buy order in early.
    BTW, soft keyboard should mean software keyboard. Whether this device ONLY has a software keyboard is another story, because Rubenstein himself said at webOS's CES unveiling last year that they would always have physical keyboards.

I hate software keyboards and will never consider a device that relies on one. For some people, however, they might be good enough.

It seems every Smartphone form factor has a trade off. The Pre has to hide its keyboard. The Pixi has a smaller screen. That Elan may have no physical keyboard could be its trade off.

Still, source please?
    Wait, AT&T never said they will carry the the webOS devices exclusive right?

Could be... April 26 Unlocked GSM, then May 10 AT&T. The Centro was approximately the same, AT&T came first then unlocked followed shortly within weeks.

But anyways... OH SHIET!!! GET YOUR TOWELS READY IT'S ABOUT TO GO DOWN!!! I guess I was right about May 10 release!
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    We'll soon be learning more about Palm's mythical 3rd WebOS device. AT&T will begin internal certification testing of the device (code named "ELAN") in two weeks, but this rumor leaves us with more questions that it answers.

A). It's rumored to have a soft keyboard. Not sure what that is, and maybe it's short for software keyboard??????

B). The device is supposedly targeted for European release. If that's the case, why is AT&T set to begin its internal certification testing of the device ?? Could it be that Palm intends to directly market an unlocked GSM version in the USA?

Before I sign off, here's something from the its no longer a rumor, now its a fact department. As long as we're talking Palm and AT&T in the same breath, AT&T Mobility completed their internal certification testing of the Pre Plus and the Pixi Plus last week. Both devices are set to be released into Palm's GSM starved US landscape on Monday May 10th.

Hungry for one last rumor? Try this date on for size, Monday April 26th. That's the date Verizon's "rumored" 90 day exclusivity agreement for the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus ends. Of course turning this rumor into reality probably depends more on how quick Palm can manufacture and deliver enough Pre and Pixi Plus's with north american GSM communication boards inside for AT&T than anything else ....

TTB
    Source or it is not true!!
    i would also really like the source since googling the palm elan brought zero results that were helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by harold42483 View Post
    Source or it is not true!!
    Heh, even with a source it still might not be true. But without a source it should be completely ignored. That we're commenting on it this much has already given it too much credit.
    Soft keyboard could also mean the type of keys are literally softer, not that it's a software keyboard, necessarily.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    TTB you are the man...thanks for the update!!! Can't wait for pre on at&t
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    btw same hardware specs as Verizon's pre+ I take it?
    Work for the big A, not for mobility, am in IT support.

Now that you have the source, I doubt it buys you very much....
    No, not you. Where did you get the non-speculative information? I haven't seen Elan or the May 10th date mentioned elsewhere before.

EDIT: More specifically and vitally, where can we read what you read? How can we independantly verify what you said for ourselves?
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 03/06/2010 at 04:33 PM.
    Work for the big A, not for mobility, am in IT support....
    AT&T and not Apple, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    No, not you. Where did you get the non-speculative information? I haven't seen Elan or the May 10th date mentioned elsewhere before.

EDIT: More specifically and vitally, where can we read what you read? How can we independantly verify what you said for ourselves?
    May 10 was my "educated" guess plowing through FCC...

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...very-soon.html

Now I really hope it's true, I need to decide whether I'm renewing my contract with Fido.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Googling Palm Elan turned up this:

Palm Elan Accessories

Like I said. Palm pre and pixi plus coming to ATT. Elan is pixi

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I'm not saying that I agree that Elan is a new device, or that it even exists, or anything. I'll believe it when I see it announced. But come on, you don't think that a store is going to put up a placeholder image if they're going to make a page for a device that hasn't been announced yet and nobody knows nothing about?
    Thank you for your information. Even rumors are nice to live with... :-) and the best on some rumors is, that they come true :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Accessories manufacturers usually already know about new devices ahead, so I believe them.

Also the Pixi is clearly listed as another item.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast