Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hmm, right, so America is getting the 3rd version and we haven't even had the plus announced, that's if we get it at all.
    Absolutely mental Depeche Mode fan since 1988, iPhone themer, app UI design, PM me for anything graphics-wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Right, not Apple.
    That still doesn't confirm that you work for AT&T
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    ...That we're commenting on it this much has already given it too much credit.
    I stand corrected. It made the front page of PreCentral:
    http://m.precentral.net/rumor-palm-elan-mystery-att-webos-smartphone
    Frankly, I don't care whether you believe me or not. I posted what I know to be true from sources (weather written or verbal).
    Dude, I wasn't knocking you at all, but there was some confusion. You unintentionally misrepresented where this information was coming from. We were looking to go to the same source you did so we could verify that what you said was true, at least to the best of your knowledge.

You should have then said that this was insider information, or something to the effect. As far as the internet goes, YOU, are the original source of this information and that's cool. Thank you for sharing it.

It's just that in order to know what's being said, you have to know who you're talking to. That all you have to back up your information with is your reputation here on PreCentral doesn't discredit you, but it does put it into proper perspective. That's all.

Again, a sincere thanks for sharing what you knew.
    You will love this one. I find Elan with Palm was first used as an independent application called "Elan" back in 2002.
    elaninfo
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Double D'oh! The rumor's now been picked up by Engadget!

Palm Elan to be the next webOS smartphone, heading to AT&T? -- Engadget

I will say that it is a slow news day, but still you made it. Props!
    I'm jealous... Barry's name is on Engadget's article. Didn't get that when they picked up my FCC article...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Now Precentral front page says this may be the Pixi.
    Toni, not sure what you read, but I saw your name clearly in the article posted on Endgadget and here on Precentral.

btw kudos to you for your research!
    PreCentral yes, but not Engadget.

FCC paper trail suggests AT&T getting Pre in May? -- Engadget

You see my name there because I was arguing with that HD2 ****** and correcting misinformation in the comments...

But yeah I was just bustin' chops.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Top Tongue, thanks for the information you've been providing. We keep seeing May 10th as the release date for WebOs on ATT. You mentioned earlier in the thread that Verizon's exclusive period with WebOS mostly ends on April 25. That seems plausible to me.

Do you know why we can't get webOs on ATT on April 26 or even May 3rd? Also when I go into ATT stores 7 out of 8 reps are carrying Iphones. In your opinion, do you feel that the training ATT reps will recieve on webOS will allow them to truthfully sale webOS instead of doing what the Verizon reps are currently doing? I just worry that the Iphone is so ingrained that ATT store reps may not how to push anything other than the Iphone.

Thanks man. Love your info. And thanks to Tony C as well.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Top Tongue, thanks for the information you've been providing. We keep seeing May 10th as the release date for WebOs on ATT. You mentioned earlier in the thread that Verizon's exclusive period with WebOS mostly ends on April 25. That seems plausible to me.

Do you know why we can't get webOs on ATT on April 26 or even May 3rd? Also when I go into ATT stores 7 out of 8 reps are carrying Iphones. In your opinion, do you feel that the training ATT reps will recieve on webOS will allow them to truthfully sale webOS instead of doing what the Verizon reps are currently doing? I just worry that the Iphone is so ingrained that ATT store reps may not how to push anything other than the Iphone.

Thanks man. Love your info. And thanks to Tony C as well.
    There's typically a short waiting period between exclusive contracts ending and launch at a rival company. Two weeks sounds about right, that would be my guess as well.
    Frankly I see the Pre/Pixi getting even less push from AT&T than it got from Verizon. Might **** off King Steve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Frankly I see the Pre/Pixi getting even less push from AT&T than it got from Verizon. Might **** off King Steve.
    At least the AT&T units can be unlocked and used on other carriers...

They're getting one sale from me, without activation. Unless of course Palm goes the unlocked route...

I still say if they can manage to create a Pixi sized phone, ditch the keyboard for a flat 'soft' style slider keyboard and enlarge the screen to the Pre size, then the formfactor would destroy the competition. It can be done if they try. But I think the R&D would cost too much. We'll see though. I think people read into this 'soft' keyboard as a typo too much honestly. Why can't soft really mean SOFT. It would make sense.
    I hate to burst your bubble Toni. Don't rush to judgement on this. Yes eventually you'll be able to unlock an AT&T Pre, but initially I would not count on it. It might take a month or more before you "could" get it unlocked by a third party and with what we've recently seen Palm do on behalf of carrier partners who have locked the devices, I would not count on anything.

I'll use the Telcel locked GSM Pre as an example. There's still no viable unlock solution available for it. We now know a change in coding during modem initialization is what has imparted grief upon most locked Pre GSM users wanting to use their Pre on another carrier, and not just the Telcel Locked GSM Pre users. I spent a lot of money and a lot of time attempting to get the Telcel Palm Pre to function on AT&T's 3G network using a RebelSIM II card without a hint of success. Yes, some have been able to use the RebelSIM II card with an older Rogers/Fido 32K or 64K SIM card and had success, but no official unlock for the Telcel Pre is available almost 4 months after it's release.

Palm's success in preventing the Telcel GSM Pre from being unlocked for use on AT&T by "emulator" SIM's like the RebelSIM II card led them to implant similar coding into WebOS 1.4 for all GSM handsets. Look at what users of the locked UK Pre with a RebelSIM II card have suffered since the release of WebOS 1.4. As the news spread, Canadian Rogers/Fido users who have their Pre WebOS 1.4 Telcel Palm Pre working with a RebelSIM II card are avoiding the WebOS 1.4 upgrade, and with good reason.

Unlike Telcel, where Mr. Slim has a history of refusing to allow his phones to be unlocked, AT&T does have a history of "eventually" unlocking their customers devices, but there have been cases where they won't supply the code for up to a year after the device was released on their netowrk.

These days, T-Mobile will unlock their devices after 60 days, so to be clear, I am not suggesting it will be a year before AT&T will supply an unlock code for the locked AT&T Palm Pre. It's going to be much sooner than that, however don't expect to get your AT&T Palm Pre unlocked the day it's released. As for RebelSIM II card use, the modem flashing technology now being employed by WebOS doesn't lend much hope in that arena either.

Best you can hope for is that Palm will offer an unlocked GSM version from their own website.

TTB
    Wasn't referring to unlock SIMs...

I'm referring to the unlocking business. There's always a few guys within the big Telcos like AT&T and Rogers looking to earn a few extra bucks... that's what keeps the code selling business going. There's this guy in Canada who sells AT&T unlock codes for almost all of their phones except for the iPhone (because of how it locks itself, Apple controls it not the carrier), for like 5 bucks.

Judging by the wide availability of AT&T codes versus Telcel codes (do a quick search on eBay), I'm pretty confident.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12