1.    #1  

VS is playing games. I have talked to them several times and they are having a problem. They do not want to admit it.

I have had a ticket on this for 2 weeks.

Keep calling VS and send this e mails. If they cannot fix it, they have to give us refunds for the days that it does not work. That is law and this will get their attention.
    Kurien
    I have also had major issues with Voicestream. However, I love the price plan I am on. 3,000 minutes for $49.00 a month. Because almost all of my calls are on weekdays, I get over 2 hours of time every day. Coverage is great in my area (Utah).

Yes, Voicestream has some major issues to resolve. However, this calling plan is perfect for Treo users who need voice/web/email access and don't want to worry about minutes.
  3.    #3  
    Program is great only of you can connect. Most of us cannot connect.
    Kurien
    Originally posted by Kurien
    Program is great only of you can connect. Most of us cannot connect.
    If you can't connect, then I agree. No matter how "good of a deal" it is, it's worth nothing if it doesn't work. However, "most" people can connect. When they can't, it's usually an intermittent problem. It's happened to me a couple of time, and then the problem was fixed.

If you can't make a data connection because of local network problem, use VS's ISDN number in Florida (assuming you aren't charged for long distance calls). That will let you get web access and download emails. You just can't send emails with that number.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks

What is that number
    Kurien
    I've hand only a few DNS issues with my VS dial up, but it almost always connects.
    -- Go Illini!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I am having problems with "data' calls only. I have done a hard reset so many times I have lost count. I called HS yesterday and they seemed to feel it was a Treo problem (not VS).... Someone from HS was supposed to call me today but they did not.

What I am confused about, and maybe some one can explain to me, is this. I can call my ISP's dial-up number from the phone app on the Treo and I hear a clear modem connect sound. If I dial from the modem (on the Treo) I get an instant Retry, and error message (like so many others have reported). What is the difference between the two? Why does one seem to work (getting a clear modem connect call from the phone app) and the other does not?

This is why I assumed it was a software problem and not a VS problem. How would/could VS direct one call over one network (voice) and the other over another (data). I assumed that all calls (unless you were using GPRS) would be recognised as "voice"

Please illuminate me...

Whatever the cause - it sucks!

8.    #8  
    from what I understand, it is a problem with VSL data service which has a problem.

I am stil waiting for HS and VSL to call back since May 3rd. Neither of them will tell you the truth, or they have no clue!
    Kurien
  9.    #9  
    Please call Voice Stream, tell the person that you want to speak to someone in the date services group. Get them to write up a ticket and give you a referance number. Once they get 5 tickets with a problem, they will investigate in depth.

An informed person from Quest suggested this as the way to get action from any carrier.

If they refuse then we can file an action against VS with the local commissioner. Each city has one that will then get on their case.
    Kurien
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jackson40
    IWhat I am confused about, and maybe some one can explain to me, is this. I can call my ISP's dial-up number from the phone app on the Treo and I hear a clear modem connect sound. If I dial from the modem (on the Treo) I get an instant Retry, and error message (like so many others have reported). What is the difference between the two? Why does one seem to work (getting a clear modem connect call from the phone app) and the other does not?
    There are a number of different channels that are present in the Treo. You can make voice calls on the voice channel. There is also a separate data channel that is used for data calls to your ISP. (SMS messages come in on a third channel used for out of band signaling, but use the same data services software in the Treo as TCP/IP).

The problem with VS service is in getting access to the data channel. That's why you can make a voice call OK, but not a data call. That's also why using different ISP numbers, including the so-called VS ISDN numbers won't work. The problem is getting access to the data network which is necessary before the call to the ISP goes through.

bbbbbbWith GPRS, the difference is in call establishment. You use the regular phone net to establish the call, but when you use the wireless modem, it switches the call over to the data network. With GPRS there is no need for the call establishment process. Hence, the always connected.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    OK. I just got off the phone with both HS and VS. VoiceStream confirmed that data services are down in the Boston area and that there is no E.T.A. for it to be back up.

VoiceStream also confirmed that the network app on the Treo uses a different network than the phone app. which is why I could dial my ISP's number using the phone app and hear a clear signal, but my network app was not.

VS did give me a $20.00 credit (I'll ask for more next week if it is still down)
    I received my Treo 270 on the 13th and everything worked great. Sweet little device. Then yesterday and today I am unable to dial in to AT&T Global to connect to the internet. For those of you who may be experiencing the same thing the error message is (0x1102). I tried everything on the Handspring website related to this error message and still no luck. I called VS and they have an open ticket on this issue for Treo users in Hawaii and are working to fix it but have no estimate of when that will be. Did we overload the system with all the new Treo users ? It is strange because using my Palm m505 + Bluetooth SD card + T68i I am able to access the CSD through VS, but not with the Treo.
    "Increase The Peace"
    VS has confirmed that there is an outage of data services that started on 6-14-02. They keep telling me to try it every now and then to see if the issue has been resolved. I got connected ONCE yesterday and ever since get the same cannot connect message.

Someone told me, a buddy at VS here in AZ, that certain cities are getting the GRPS upgrade and it is killing the regular data channel traffic. We'll see!
    The people at VoiceStream are either trying to hide a problem that they dont want to admit or they havn't a clue as to what they are doing.

I've been on and off the phone with them trying to resolve my data connectivity problems since I received my Treo 270.

One in Twenty calls go thru. One rep said it was earthlink's fault. One rep says it's Handspring's problem. Another said there was some kind of interference from Nortel and should be fixed in a day.

I used the ISDN band-aid and the Voicestream rep almost called me a liar because they didn't know Treo's could connect thru what he called a WAP line.

I'm waiting for my bill to see how much credit I should ask for. I hope they fix this problem soon. I've been on the phone with them too many times and have written Handspring a letter asking that they fix this problem even though it may not be affecting the masses. Just the unlucky few in certain metro areas.

Later!
    --NickC--
    In NYC here.

I had no data connection problems this weekend. Live in lower manhattan and made it all the way up to 67th street. I had no issues connecting to CS ISDN.

Today, at work (like almost every day at work), I had issues. But with a new error of the account or password was wrong. Usually it is the no carrier error.

I was able to connect with ATT though.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    When I started this thread in May, data services were down in the Boston area for over a week. I had many conversations with both VS and HS technical support. The service was finally restored. It was a VS issue. They gave me a month's credit on my bill for my trouble.

Since then, I've noticed that there are periods of time where I get the 1102 errors. It's often (but not always) the equivalent of a "busy signal" for the data services. I suspect that as data usage increases, this error will become more prevalent until additional data network resources get added.

Note that 1102 errors can cover more than just network busy. If any of the data service routers are misconfigured or there are other problems that cause the modem not to be able to connect, you will see this error. Hence, the week's downtime in Boston in May, which really was a net problem.

Contrary to a lot of talk on this bboard, none of this has anything to do with what ISP you use. The so-called ISDN numbers are the VS WAP gateways used for conventional WAP phone access. They are no better or worse than using another ISP. The 1102 problem occurs before you contact the ISP.
    Is anybody in Hawaii specifically Honolulu able to connect to their ISP or the VoiceStream ISDN number ? The very first day I got my 270 I was able to and now it has been a week that I am unable to. Multiple phone calls to HS & VS leaves the blame with VS and they say they are working to fix it but have no idea when it will be fixed. This is extremly frustrating and defeats the whole purpose of purchasing the device. I'm really having a hard time deciding wheter I should hold out for the GPRS patch or if they are unable to fix the CSD problem return the 270 before the 30 day return policy expires. Hawaii users please let me know what your experiences are. TIA
    "Increase The Peace"
    Getting data connection to Earthlink through Voicestream is a real hit and miss deal. I have had a fair amount of success trying various Earthlink access numbers. I find that the access number in Meridian, Mississippi seems to work every time, no matter where I am within the USA.