Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    A day or so ago, my Treo 180 started having trouble doing data calls on the Voicestream network. I am in the Boston metro area. Consistently what happens is that I initiate a data call to my local ISP, I get the "dialing" message, very soon after, I get a "retry" message, and then after a little while longer I get the error: "Network busy, wrong dial-in number, or data service not enabled (x1102)". Over the last couple of days, I've been able to connect maybe twice in many, many attempts. I've called both HS and VS customer service. VS has been more than useless. A complete waste of time. HS says its VS' problem, though they have escalated the problem and I've yet to hear back from them. Prior to this problem, I had no difficulties with using the data features of my Treo. Voice calling continues to work OK.

Side note: I did an update of TreoMail to the 1.0 version the day this started happening. I lost the ability to get SMS notifications of new emails. I reloaded the software and reset and got the notifications working again. Shortly after, I started having this problem with data calls. Coincidence?

Anyone else out there with similar problems?
    The exact same thing happened to me, and I struggled with it for a couple of weeks. VS even deactivated and reactivated my SIM card. The VS said it was a HS problem. I also tried a couple of hard resets.

After a couple of calls to HS, my number was given to a Handspring problem solver who called me back and walked me through the steps of hard-resetting, and reinputting all of the network and connection info. The HS guy said if the hard reset with his network settings didn't work, HS would send me a new unit.

Well, that final hard reset worked. (I have no idea why, the previous 3 hard resets didn't.) Who knows what my problem was. My theory is this: If you hard reset, but then resync - some weird setting gets reinstalled into the network configuration settings. Try a hard reset - and before you reinstall any of your programs - input the connection/network settings, and hopefully you can then connect.
    I also live and work near Boston and use VS, and I hadn't tried a data call in quite a few days, but after reading your post I just tried one, and got the same error message you described. Just wonderful.

Please keep us informed if anything changes or if you get any response.
    This kind of thing is entirely a network failure by VoiceStream. There is nothing spurious changing on your Treo unless you mess with the Network or Connection Preferences or install some other dialer software.

1102 errors are too vague. It would be so much better if it actually told you that the network was down rather than suggesting one of three possible problems.

You can reset your Treo until the cows come home but if VoiceStream don't have the services turned on in your area due to maintenance then you are out of luck. Call VoiceStream and get them to escalate the issue to their data group and demand to know when they will switch the services back on.

Even when GPRS arrives for Treo there will still be problems with Ciruit Switched Data unless VoiceStream commit to maintaining the circuits properly. Personally, I only roam into VoiceStream from time to time but when I do I use the (nod and a wink) ISDN settings for data to get around the outages. It's way more reliable.
    I wish I had seen that sooner-- I hard-reset and re-installed twice before seeing that post. I guess I have to flame VS now instead.

Any chance I can have that ISDN number to, um, test to see if it's not a problem on my end...?
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I spoke with VS CS and they do have a ticket open and are working on the problem. Looks like a system problem in this area. That being the case, I don't think using any other ISP numbers (including VSs) are going to help, since the problem is getting access to the circuit switched data network, not the ISP.
    I'm in the Phoenix area and started experiencing the same problem on Monday (5/13) with data calls on VoiceStream. Tuesday I put in a call, and they told me it was a system-wide problem and they were working to fix it but had no time estimate.

I called again today after continuing to get the error. They informed me that they believed it had something to do with AT&T converting their network to GSM. I left it at that.

I'm not sure what AT&T has to do with the situation, nor why I as a VoiceStream customer should be okay with being inconvienenced by AT&T, but we'll see. If I wanted AT&T to screw things up for me, I'd be one of their customers!

I'm going to San Francisco for the weekend and will try a data call there. If it still persists, I'll be calling VS again on Monday.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I am having problems with "data' calls only. I have done a hard reset so many times I have lost count. I called HS yesterday and they seemed to feel it was a Treo problem (not VS).... Someone from HS was supposed to call me today but they did not.

What I am confused about, and maybe some one can explain to me, is this. I can call my ISP's dial-up number from the phone app on the Treo and I hear a clear modem connect sound. If I dial from the modem (on the Treo) I get an instant Retry, and error message (like so many others have reported). What is the difference between the two? Why does one seem to work (getting a clear modem connect call from the phone app) and the other does not?

This is why I assumed it was a software problem and not a VS problem. How would/could VS direct one call over one network (voice) and the other over another (data). I assumed that all calls (unless you were using GPRS) would be recognised as "voice"

Please illuminate me...

Whatever the cause - it sucks!

I've been having the same problem too. I reported it as well, and they just said that their engineers are working on it, which doesn't really fill me with confidence. Does anyone have any experience with Cingular in Boston? My Treo is unlocked and if this doesn't get resolved soon I'm going to switch.
    I have VS and just retrieved the score of the Lakers-Kings game to check if I have this problem. I used the same ISP that I pay for at home - a company with a local number (for me) to dial to sign-on. So it is apparnelty not entirely system-wide.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    My understanding is that is a local (New England) problem. Hopefully it will be resolved before we face L.A. in the finals
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    VoiceStream finally seems to have fixed the data problem in the Boston area. Only took a week.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Still getting Error message . Anyone else?
    I'm in Boston, and I can also finally get onto the data network.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    I was having difficulties making data calls (only) as well, in the New York area, but the service apparently came back online yesterday (i'm using the VS ISDN #)

--Steve
    Same here -- Boston is up again.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    what is the ISDN number?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Turns out that Verizon (my ISP) changed log-in proceedures recently and that was why I could not connect (once VoiceStream was up)
    I'm in the NYC Metro Area and have not been able to connect to data services since Monday. I called VoiceStream, and the tech I spoke with was aware of problems in the Boston Area, but not New York. She put a work order in for my account...so now I wait.......

Anyone else in New York unable to connect?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Data seems to be down on VS again today (Saturday) Anyone else having a problem?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast