1.    #1  
    I'm a pre owner from Germany and I'll be staying the U.S. (Boston, MA) for about 3 months.
    I'd love to get a U.S. sim card so I don't have to use roaming.
    I looked a bit arround, but it seems as if there is no simple prepaid plan with possible data usage.
    I just want to be able to get my emails, and use a bit of social networking. I don't need many minutes or messages. A data only plan might be interesting too (google voice etc).
    Is there anything that comes even close to my idea and that doesn't cost 50usd+ monthly?
    Just for comparison:
    my current plan = 10 euros / month for 1 gb data and 9 cents for outgoing sms/minute. But I've already given up on finding something like that in the US :-/
  2. s4l
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Visit T-mobile.
    Ask them for a EVEN MORE PLUS 500TTW which will cost $60 dollars.

Its the cheapest prepaid plan that includes data. Most importantly, it has no gimmicks or hidden charges.

Enjoy!
  3.    #3  
    I've read about the AT&T gophone offer with 100 mb for 20 usd/month.
    It is kinda hard to actually find good information about that plan. it seems as if US providers don't want you to have any useful information about their plans O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by rb2k View Post
    I just want to be able to get my emails, and use a bit of social networking. I don't need many minutes or messages. A data only plan might be interesting too (google voice etc).
    Is there anything that comes even close to my idea and that doesn't cost 50usd+ monthly?
    First, Google Voice is not what you think it is. It is not a VOIP service. It simply allows you to call out from your phone. It does not do voice over the internet.

Secondly, there is nothing that works that way for the amount you want. If you want data, you will most likely need a contract, which will require a US ID card/VISA. The closest you will get is what has been suggested, and that is the AT&T prepaid. Even then, it is $20/100MB PLUS the cost of minutes, etc.

http://www.usasims.com/ATT_SIM.html
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    First, Google Voice is not what you think it is. It is not a VOIP service. It simply allows you to call out from your phone. It does not do voice over the internet.
    But it allows me to send SMS for free over the data connection
    But it allows me to send SMS for free over the data connection
    Ok, I assumed, apparently incorrectly, that you thought GV was VOIP. That seems to be a misconception here on these forums (that GV is a VOIP provider).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I've read about the AT&T gophone offer with 100 mb for 20 usd/month.
    It is kinda hard to actually find good information about that plan. it seems as if US providers don't want you to have any useful information about their plans O_o
    --The 100mb for $20 works with the pay-as-you-go GoPhone & you get 1mo to use. l tried it my last U.S. trip in Dec '09.

Hope this helps
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Visit T-mobile.
    Ask them for a EVEN MORE PLUS 500TTW which will cost $60 dollars.

Its the cheapest prepaid plan that includes data. Most importantly, it has no gimmicks or hidden charges.

Enjoy!
    Using the Even More Plus 500 Talk with the "Unlimited Web" option I'd even save 20 bucks as it seems
    I can do messages using google voice