Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...threadid=19305

    I've tried using these and all referenced instructions on this thread to see if I could log on to Voicestream's network with my Treo.

    I've not yet been able to do it. My comments are listed at the end of the other thread, but to sum it up I have only gotten as far as 'authenticating' twice - both times I received a timeout. Every other time I've received the 'not setup for data' error.

    I'm in North NJ with Voicestream - anyone in NJ/NYC get this to work? Would you mind posting the phonenumber used, network & connection settings, modem init strings?

    Thanks
  2.    #2  
    Post from other thread ...

    My current setup is as follows:

    Connection setup -

    Name : ISDN (not like it matters)
    Connection Method : Wireless Modem to Modem
    Dialing : TouchTone
    Volume : High
    Speed : 57600
    Country : Other
    Flow Ctl : Automatic
    Init String : AT&FX4;+cbst=71,0,0;

    Network Configuration -

    Service : Voicestream (not like this matters either )
    Username : (single space)
    Password : (single space)
    Connection : ISDN
    Phone : 12034349933
    Connection Type : PPP
    Idle Timeout : 3 Minutes
    Query DNS : Yes
    IP Address : Automatic
    Just tried again and got the oh-too-familiar (0x1102) Error : Network busy, wrong dial-in number, or data service not enabled.

    Help?
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by Obscure411
    Post from other thread ...



    Just tried again and got the oh-too-familiar (0x1102) Error : Network busy, wrong dial-in number, or data service not enabled.

    Help?
    This is what works for me.

    Connection setup -

    Name : ISDN
    Connection Method : Wireless Modem to Modem
    Dialing : TouchTone
    Volume : High
    Speed : 9600
    Country : Other
    Flow Ctl : Automatic
    Init String : +cbst=71,0,0;

    Network Configuration -

    Service : Voicestream
    Username : (single space)
    Password : (single space)
    Connection : ISDN
    Phone : 19132440821
    Connection Type : PPP
    Idle Timeout : 3 Minutes
    Query DNS : unchecked
    65.161.188.100
    IP Address : Automatic


    If that doesn't work for some reason change the init string
    to : +cbst=0,0,1;
    This will reset the modem to a regular isp. Try it and this time it will fail for sure but then change it back to : +cbst=71,0,0;
    Try it once again and It should connect.
    I did this and since then I don't have problems connecting to an ISDN or RAS.
  4. #4  
    Wow! Thanks, PC! I hadn't gotten it to work before.

    ...the VS dialup connects about twice as fast as my UMN dialup! yee ha!
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by pic_micro


    This is what works for me.

    Connection setup -

    Name : ISDN
    Connection Method : Wireless Modem to Modem
    Dialing : TouchTone
    Volume : High
    Speed : 9600
    Country : Other ...
    I feel stupid asking, but I can't find "Country". Where is it? Starting from home, I tap "Prefs", select "Connection", tap my connection ("ISDN"), tap "Details..."

    None of these places show me "Country".
    Jeff
  6. #6  
    prefs/connection/"isdn" configuration (or whatever you named it), then tap the "details..." button, you should get 3 pull-downs: "Speed", "Country" and "Flow Ctl", followed by a text input field for "Init String".

    If you don't get "Country" there, then I'm guessing there's another manifestation in the differences between Treo firmware/software revisions.



    Originally posted by PDAENVY


    I feel stupid asking, but I can't find "Country". Where is it? Starting from home, I tap "Prefs", select "Connection", tap my connection ("ISDN"), tap "Details..."

    None of these places show me "Country".
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by PDAENVY


    I feel stupid asking, but I can't find "Country". Where is it? Starting from home, I tap "Prefs", select "Connection", tap my connection ("ISDN"), tap "Details..."

    None of these places show me "Country".
    I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out but I solved it as simple as deleting the connection with the problem. So create another connection from scratch and you will see the "Country" field. make sure that you delete the connection with the problem first.

    Hope this help.
  8. #8  
    It worked for me too (with a post-revision Treo)

    I think that flip of the init string was what did it. My work ISP is so much slower it's ridiculous.
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by pic_micro


    I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out but I solved it as simple as deleting the connection with the problem. So create another connection from scratch and you will see the "Country" field. make sure that you delete the connection with the problem first.

    Hope this help.
    Thanks! Oddly enough, the connection with no Country works fine!!!!! But I didn't try it until after I posted. Thanks for your help!
    Jeff
  10. #10  
    i apologize in advance if this question has been asked already and addressed in another thread.

    i am also having the connection timeout problems, but i am experiencing these problems with multiple ISPs. I don't have a voicestream ISP account (does this come with service) but in the past, i have been able to access my ISP sucessfully about 50% of the time. However, i have not had any success the past couple of days (ever since i sinstalled the treo mail application).

    i have tried the modem configurations that are listed in this thread, but i still cannot complete a connection after "negotiation".

    help?

    -kO
    ---
    keepOnkeepingOn
  11. #11  
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, right?

    Do I need VoiceStream's iStream in order to do this? And the connecting phone number listed in the posts above--should it be an area code relatively close to home? I've got no idea where 913 is....
  12.    #12  
    Well, I've been using Voicestream as an ISP now for about a week with limited success...

    Here's what I've noticed to date :

    When connecting, it seems to behave quite nicely for the most part as long as I dial from the Network Preferences within Blazer. I still have issues, but not anywhere near as often.

    When connecting from Eudora or the like, I often receive the 'Bad Username/Password' error.

    Strangely, it does not seem to accept a single space as a username in the Treo, because everytime I leave the preferences screen it seems to delete the space, making connecting a routine of - start Blazer - Network Preferences - Delete Username - Add space in Username - Connect - Done - Then begin using the internet.

    Sometimes even in this situation it still gives the 'Bad Username/Password' error. I've tried with blank usernames and passwords, with a space username and a blank password, with spaces at both spots, and with a blank username and a single space for a password. They all seem to work, just not consistently. I keep changing settings until it decides to work.

    Anyone else notice this? I'm in North NJ.
    obscure information.
  13.    #13  
    Do I need VoiceStream's iStream in order to do this?
    iStream is VS GPRS Service - 56K wireless internet (constant on, no dialup). Supposedly the Treo will be supporting it in a few months with a software upgrade, as it was one of the selling points on the unit itself. So in other words, not yet

    And the connecting phone number listed in the posts above--should it be an area code relatively close to home?
    Don't take this as gospel, but most VS plans include free nationwide long distance, so the fact that one of only 2 known dialups is in 913 (Florida) shouldn't matter to you.
    obscure information.
  14. #14  
    Does Voicestream have an smtp server so that I can not only download emails from other pop3 servers but also send out emails?
  15. sck18's Avatar
    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #15  
    Are Voicestream ISDN settings portable? That is, not really portable, but roaming...

    Let me explain - I was traveling this past weekend, and I visited both Salt Lake City (Voicestream) and the Los Angeles Area (Apparently Cingular, according to my treo's roaming indicator). Using the same settings that had always worked, I tried making a data call to the connecticut (203) number, and I got the error listed above (1102 - data services not enabled - or something like that). I was unable to connect to a data call in either Salt Lake or Upland, CA.

    I have a nationwide VS plan, whose "home" is on Long Island, in the 516 area code - Any ideas? Voicestream and Cingular certainly didn't have any...

    Has anyone else had luck connecting in these markets with either the 203 or 913 VS numbers? What are your settings?

    P.S. - It worked great again as soon as I landed at JFK...

    --Steve
  16. #16  
    haha! Great connect my first time! All thanks to pic_micro's settings. Thanks! P.S: am in chicago area
    -- Go Illini!
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by Obscure411
    When connecting, it seems to behave quite nicely for the most part as long as I dial from the Network Preferences within Blazer. I still have issues, but not anywhere near as often.

    When connecting from Eudora or the like, I often receive the 'Bad Username/Password' error.

    Strangely, it does not seem to accept a single space as a username in the Treo, because everytime I leave the preferences screen it seems to delete the space, making connecting a routine of - start Blazer - Network Preferences - Delete Username - Add space in Username - Connect - Done - Then begin using the internet.

    Sometimes even in this situation it still gives the 'Bad Username/Password' error. I've tried with blank usernames and passwords, with a space username and a blank password, with spaces at both spots, and with a blank username and a single space for a password. They all seem to work, just not consistently. I keep changing settings until it decides to work.

    Anyone else notice this? I'm in North NJ.
    Well, I'm getting the same intermittent error. I'm not losing the space as a username/pw. Are you sure that you are? Try hitting Opt+scroll to see if the space is still there. I also can't seem to pin it down to which app is doing the call to dial.

    ...of course, as I'm writing this I'm trying to get a connection and all I get is the password/username error over and over. *sigh*
  18. #18  
    hell. As long as I'm complaining. I frequently have the whole GD treo freeze up trying to "initialize," and nothing but a soft reset will bring it back. Sheesh, I never have a problem dialing up my university's ISP, why is this such a pain!?
  19. #19  
    Update:

    I have success 9/10 times with my username as "+1XXXXXXX", where the "x"s are my phone number. I use a single blank space.

    ...hell, maybe not. now it has switched to not working... now it's frozen in the "initialize" stage... ARG! Screw it, I'm going to class.
  20. #20  
    I had the same problem as Obscure411

    The fix: In your Network Preferences box, insert spaces in all but the 20th and last user name character field available. In the last space, insert a character of your choice. The VS server doesn't register any character so far along in the string. This way you can maintain a null as your user name. I had a problem with the Treo spitting out the single space as a user name until I tried this. No problem with a single space as password, though.
    Got Darts?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions