Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    AT&T launching webOS device! -- Engadget

JUST announced.

Awesome, now WebOS is on three carriers.
    I just hope unlock codes would be easy to get... I need one. Badly. Just in time for my E51 to start to have problems...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I thought that would never happen, them being tied to the iPhone and all.

That's good news. Now get some Android phones in too!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    glad to see webos branching out, maybe now it will get bigger and better. bout time!
    I'll admit that I was disappointed that Palm didn't announce anything yesterday for AT&T, but I'm sure some news of what devices AT&T will carry will be revealed in the coming months. I really wonder what devices they will carry considering the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus are exclusives to Verizon.
    This may be a glimmer of hope for me, personally. Hopefully.

Im a long time Palm user.. currently, I have a 650 on T-Mobile; I happen to like T-Molbile alot, and Im not changing carriers.

When I saw WebOS last year, and how it works, I knew it would be for me; its just so logical and well thought out. Sad thing, though, is that they chose Sprint as a partner, a CDMA phone, versus a GSM phone. I won't go into that any further, as that has been discussed ad nauseum; suffice to say, since the whole world is GSM (2.5 billion users), versus CDMA (.5 billon users), I think they should have taken the risk and released an unlocked GSM version for the US and Europe and sold it and marketted it directly to the consumers - way more upside potential.

Had they done that, I would have bought one, happily, and I believe that they would have made a ton of money, and gained huge market share prior to Android's next big step.

Ok, so here we are today, and, now they are going to Verizon. I understand. Truly. Im just, once again, left without the WebOS experience.

Luckily, TealOS came out with thier WebOS GUI for Palm Treos, and, I snapped it up before Palm put a "cease and decist" order on them to remove it from their product category.. but, I have to tell you, even though its not true multitasking, it HAS allowed me to keep using my 5 year old 650 with the increased funcitionality that WebOS provides beyond what I would have wanted to endure for the old Palm OS itself - had this not been there, I would have left Palm and purchased another phone, likely and Android, and they would have lost a customer = changing back and forth is not worth it to me.

I just saw the Google Nexus 1 and, well, its is incredble. Fast, slick beautiful, has everything one would want, except, the UI is just not as smooth as WebOS, and, even my TealOS covered Palm 650 is easier to use, clunky and old as it is.

I am hoping for an unlocked Pre soon, but, (and I don't know that Im alone here), I dont know how long I can continue to wait while Palm stays on the CDMA side of things for the US... seeing the Nexus 1 was the biggest temptation to date to leave, and they are ON T-Mobile, even...

I guess this is more of a credit to just how appealing WebOS is, and to how well Palm has done in updating the OS and the features; I was so close to pushng the "buy it" button on the Google Nexus 1 site 2 days ago...

So, maybe this is a glimmer of hope for me, and others like me... I saw the ATT comment about them getting 2 WebOS devices this year, and, then I knew that if that was the case, Pre-unlocks would be forthcoming, and, well, eBay, here I come!

BTW, Palm, if you ARE reading this.. buy TealOS and make it available to all existing Treo customers.. once they try it, the likelyhoood will be that theywont be able to live without it, sigh.

Im living proof.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    LCGuy -- you're not alone on this. I'm currently holding tight with my unlocked GSM Rogers (Canadian) phone + Palm T|X. I pretty much decided that Feb 2010 was when I was going to replace both and, 1st choice was to get an unlocked GSM Pre with a North-American (or at least U.S.) warranty.

It's starting to look like this isn't going to happen before mid-year at earliest.

Similar to LCGuy -- I've used CDMA carriers & now that I've discovered unlocked GSM (makes life so much easier when travelling), I refuse to use anything but.

As far as I see it, my options are going to be:
    -Import a European unlocked GSM pre and hope nothing breaks
    -Shoot myself in the foot for a 2-3 year contract to get a CDMA pre.
    -Find another product (Android, etc..) that will handle my PIM data from multiple sources (ie: like Synergy)

I don't like these options -- Any suggestions?
    can we cut to the chase.. will Palm be releasing new phones?
    Sue
    I am in a similar boat... I've been a Palm product user since the original Pilot. I have stuck with the Treo 650 for what seems to be forever until recently when it died a horrible death. To top it off my hard drive died as well along with all my palm desktop data that was not convertable to the new flashy MAC that i got. Futhermore, I've had AT&T for just as long and frankly the service was pretty stable for me throughout all my travels and years. I have been salavating over the Pre, now Pre Plus and haven't jumped to the cdma boat. It only makes sense to me with these devices to have a unit that handles data and voice at the same time. But here's the delema: w/ all the chatter about AT&T's poor 3G service and the iphone call dropping due to the glut of users on the network that they can seem to handle, what the heck is going to happen when we get access to the AT&T Pre and jam up the works even more? I can't get myself to move to Verizon since I don't have the wealth of a land baron to pay for the monthly bills nor Sprint as I said before, they are both cdma anyway.
    A lot of the same thoughts have been going on in my head--an ATT customer who hasn't had problems with the service. I had been using an HP Ipaq 910 recently but it died for the 10th time and I've been back with my old treo 650 waiting for something else. I've been a GSM only person, as every once in a while I travel outside the US, but what I've decided is:
    -I will get the palm pre plus when it comes to verizon (I agree that Verizon seems to charge way more $$, but my company helps pick up the tab).
    -I also happen to like the form factor of the pre--a bottom slider (allowing larger screen size) w/keyboard. I just don't like the landscape type, having to rotate the phone.
    -If I travel, I'll switch back to my Treo 650 with a local SIM card.
    -I hope I don't get bummed out in June when Palm probably will release new phones on ATT and maybe Sprint.
    -I also hope I will not get bummed out since at least Verizon (Sprint too?) CDMA/EVDO doesn't have the capability for voice and data at the same time.
    Part of this reasoning has to do with the renewed experience with the 650--still a very good phone--able to synch contacts, calendar, etc--and that I can't deal with edge only data anymore.

Jordan
    will it be possible to unlock the verizon pre plus?
    Sue
    Quote Originally Posted by tacktoday View Post
    will it be possible to unlock the verizon pre plus?
    CDMA.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

I sure don't want a CDMA vareity, I simply want a new phone. My Centro is not happy, not dead, but not happy. when will we see a pre or pixi from ATT?????
    Sue

Anything before 7/1/2010 counts as the 1st half of 2010.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacktoday View Post
    can we cut to the chase.. will Palm be releasing new phones?
    probably not sounds like another set of plus's
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    or a Palm Pre Plus²
    for palm's sake I hope they have a brand new phone. they could keep the pixi around as a low end and have a new flagship model. the pre is nice, but i dont think it would go over well to rehash it a 2nd time for ATT
    hmm! what would we do without ideas!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast