1.    #1  
    I just got off the phone with VS, and I'm very frustrated.

To recap: I have been dealing with weak signals, dropped calls, and echo on voice calls. I talked to VS several times and they said that signal strength in my area was fine. They also told me that HS had sent me the wrong SimCard for my market, so I went to the local VS store and got that replaced. Then they said that it might be equipment problems, so HS sent me a brand new phone. Well I just had a phone conversation on my Treo while standing outside, not moving, not surrounded by any buildings, and away from any transformers, power lines, and nuclear reactors. The call got dropped 3 times in 4 minutes. So I called VS back to see what's up.

Now VS claims that coverage in my area is "marginal" and that this is probably why I'm having problems. They said if I'm out of town I would have good signal strength (Great a phone I can't use in my own city). I asked them where there was good signal in my area and their response was: "They have a strong signal in the mall area where your (only) VS store is located". I said that this was unacceptable. What good is having a "mobile" phone if I can't be "mobile" when I use it. I don't plan on going to the mall every time I want to make or receive a call on my new Treo.

She told me that the people at the store should have been honest with me and told me that service was marginal in this area. Yeah, I can see this happening. As I explained to her, if they did that, they would never sell a single phone in my city!

She appologized and offered to give me some bonus minutes for my inconvenience I already have 500 daytime minutes and unlimited night and weekend minutes that I can't use!

So now she says she's going to see if there are any plans to upgrade the signal strength in my my area and she would call me back next week to let me know.

I already told VS that if I cancel my service, I won't be paying their $200 early termination fee. Problem is that, if i cancel, I can only use my Treo as a very cool PDA. The only other service provider in this area is Cingular and they don't have GSM in my area.

Short of moving to Orlando (45 minutes away), what am I to do?
    You probably have a breach of warranty claim which should get you out of the contract. Most every good/service that you buy is sold with a warranty, or a promise, that your product is "fit for a particular purpose." Your purpose in in buying the service was to make calls around town, and Voicestream knew that when they sold you the service. If you can't make those calls, they have breached their warranty to you.

You can get out of the contract if they can't provide the service. Don't sweat it - just be persistent until they cancel the contract.
    Originally posted by heberman
    You probably have a breach of warranty claim which should get you out of the contract. Most every good/service that you buy is sold with a warranty, or a promise, that your product is "fit for a particular purpose." Your purpose in in buying the service was to make calls around town, and Voicestream knew that when they sold you the service. If you can't make those calls, they have breached their warranty to you.

You can get out of the contract if they can't provide the service. Don't sweat it - just be persistent until they cancel the contract.
    Read your written contact. And make sure.....

-henry