1.    #1  
    First off, greetings to everyone out there on the forum.

I wanted to share my experience with attempting to get dialed up wirelessly to my ISP.

I have had my Treo 180 for about 3 days now. I have yet to successfully complete a wireless data call, and have made a total of about 8 phones calls to both Hanspring and Voicestream. I am located in the Denver, CO area.

The first call I made was to Voicestream, thinking that it must be a carrier problem given the error message I was receiving. I am receiving the dreaded 0x1102 - Busy, Wrong Number, Data Service Not Enabled. Voicestream insisted data services were enabled on my account and that there were no trouble tickets or reported problem on my tower.

Naturally, I made the second call to Handspring, who instructed me to try their Earthlink test account. This didn't work either. The guys at HS (talked to 3 people) insisted that it must be a problem with the carrier.

In fact, here is what Paul from Handspring had to say about the problem:

The error that you are getting on your Treo180, (error message 0X1102), when
    trying to connect to the Internet, does point at the Carrier or the ISP.
    The ISP seems not to be an issue here, as you have tested the connection
    with our test account, and have gotten no better results.
    Please try sending a test SMS message to your self, to check if you can
    both, send and receive SMS, this will confirm whether Data Services are
    enabled.
    If you have already double-checked about Data Services being enabled wit
    VoiceStream, and the correct dial-up number and login/password, then the
    most probable explanation for getting this error is the Carrier's
    (VoiceStream's) network that is overloaded. As a result, the network can
    not handle any more data service transmissions, which is not uncommon with
    VoiceStream.
    Any voice call made using VoiceStream, has priority over data connection.
    If there is too high of a number of voice calls using the carriers network,
    no data connection transmissions will be allowed.
    We have heard from a number of customers that they are getting the same
    error that you are, trying to useVoiceStream's data services.
    After a few more calls to both companies, I am becoming quite frustrated that no one can tell me what is going on. I have tried probably 6 or 7 different INIT strings for the wireless modem, none of which have worked. I have tried the Earthlink test account, the VS ISDN number, and my dialup account with Qwest.

I suspect it will probably be a huge mess if, after never successfully getting the wireless connection to work, I have to return the unit to Handspring, get credited for my Voicestream (lack of) service, and the like.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the Treo. I hate the customer service runaround and having them always pass the buck on responsability.
    This is insane.

...have you tried moving to a different area (i.e. a different part of the city w/ a different cell tower) and trying it?
  3.    #3  
    I agree completely.

I will be travelling across town today and will try to connect with all ISPs at different locations. If it *does* work reliably in one area, I will know it has to be a problem with Voicestream.

I am anxious to get out there and see what exactly is going on.

Congrats on winning the Treo, also
    I am one of those with similar problems. The HS line about "network clogged and voice takes priority over data" is just a standard talking point.

I have had a lot of problems and been through it all with both. We just got my service resolved though when VS removed data and "cancelled my location" (whatever that means) and then put it back on again. That reset everything and I have been connecting since. I am in Dallas area. VS did admit to some data problems in Texas and Colorado.

the funny thing is that I am pretty sure we tried removing and reinstalling data services on my account at least 50 times in the past with no luck. This time it work perfectly.

Now here is the kicker. I am on my second Treo. The first one had the same errors, but was most definitely a dead Treo modem. The second has the errors sometimes, but just needs a reset from VS. Hopefully, when the GPRS becomes available this will all be a distant memory.

My advice is to keep hammering on VS to try every possible thing. Also, see if you can get to another VS phone (non-Treo) and make a data call (perhaps from a VS store). I knew it was a VS problem when my GSM Motorola p280 would not make a data call either.
    Originally posted by essell

The first call I made was to Voicestream, thinking that it must be a carrier problem given the error message I was receiving. I am receiving the dreaded 0x1102 - Busy, Wrong Number, Data Service Not Enabled. Voicestream insisted data services were enabled on my account and that there were no trouble tickets or reported problem on my tower.

This is definitely a problem with VS. The "Data Not Enabled" and "Wrong NUmber" messages says it all. There really isn't anything HS can really do in such a situation.
  6.    #6  
    Unless, of course, the Treo itself has a hardware fault...

I managed to get my phone to conenct exactly *once* yesterday at a different location. After that, same ol errors from 4 different areas.

I will try calling VoiceStream yet again and see if they can "remove my location".

Thanks for the advice and stories!
    The congestion people are talking about here is not really affected by number of voice calls on the network at one time. It is the number of data calls active on the cell to which your phone is talking. If it has 10 ports and 10 are in use, you are not getting connected. GSM Cell towers have three basic ports: voice, data and ISDN. They will soon have GPRS in most areas too. Each set of ports has a finite number of connections and each system can also go out of action independently. If you are getting bad service in your area, advocate to VoiceStream to improve their offering.

Sending an SMS to the phone proves nothing about data services being enabled on the phone. Handspring support need to get that straight. That only proves that SMS services work.
  8.    #8  
    Well, I just wanted to give an update..

All of a sudden, data calls work in the problem area... every time. So either they have a) increased capacity or b) fixed the problem they were having.

Any any rate, I am happy now
    So it turns out that it was voicestream's problem after all