Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by prismenvy
    Another thought that we havent been able to test is that perhaps if your account has iStream GPRS and then tries to do a regular dialup data call, they might conflict. I have GPRS on my account. Do y'all have iStream on your account too? I need it for my other GPRS enabled phone. I wonder if that causes a conflict?
    That could very well be. I don't have it enabled.

...still turning off every now and then...
  2.    #22  
    Nope. Just tried by taking GPRS iStream off my account and it still didnt work. Oh well, I am going to Hawaii tomorrow so I'll just try to dial in from a different area.

I'm in the Denver area, just went back and popped the SIMM from the treo back into my visorphone to dial to my regular ISP. (AT&T) Same problem on the visorphone but it reports 0x1101
    ( on a side note, DANG that Prism screen looks nice! ) It's kind of like going back to an old girlfriend.

There is something funky going on with the voicestream network

I don't have iStream but there is data service on the account.

I wish, Voicestream or handspring would let us know the real story here.
    Last edited by george_vc; 02/24/2002 at 08:18 PM.
    OK one more data point.....

I took my wife's SIMM card out of here Nokia 5160. She has been on a month to month since 1997

The No dial up with that simm on either the visorphone or the Treo. Can't say I know yet for sure if her's has data on the account but will check.
    OK one more data point.....

I took my wife's SIMM card out of here Nokia 5160. She has been on a month to month since 1997

The No dial up with that simm on either the visorphone or the Treo. Can't say I know yet for sure if her's has data on the account but will check.
    Hey let's get rid of the 'unscientific' guesswork on this thread and try to get some folks back on the air:

To make a data connection work you need:
    1. Wireless service from a GSM provider
    2. Data services enabled - On Cingular you need to add it to your account and this can either be DataConnect (15c/min) or Wireless Internet (the latter is cheaper as it comes from your voice minutes). On VoiceStream data is now turned on by default; it used to be called DataStream but they no longer explicitly sell it. If you have an older SIM you may need to ask them to enable data on it.
    3. An ISP account whose inbound modems are up and running OK and whose IP feed is currently active. Dialing the ISP number via a landline and listening for a modem is not the only determining factor. It only establishes that your ISP is ready to take calls but you may be affected by network congestion (in item 4 below).
    4. Available data port on the cell to which your phone is attached. i.e. if lots of folks are making data calls or if the cell is under maintenence due to the GPRS and ISDN work, you may have to wait to get a connection.

In addition to this laundry list, you must of course have set up your VP or Treo with the right Network settings for your ISP.

In relation to SMS and SMS-email, that is a whole other system. SMS messages and SMS emails get sent over the signaling channel by GSM phones. That is why VP and Treo are so cool that you can send and receive SMS while on a call even if you are on a call to the person to whom you are sending the message. GSM networks use the channel of the phone which speaks to the cell and keeps your signal optimal and reports on your phones current status.

I have experienced some weirdness as I traveled around the country roaming on VoiceStream where SMS and SMS-Email did not work in very specific locales such as Fort Worth airport in Texas (two weeks ago). In talking with HS Tech Support, I found that they had a similar problem which they reported to VS about the Albequerque region. VS since promptly fixed the NM problem. SMS tends to be very reliable though with occasional inexplicable time lapses for delivery in some areas.

SMS-Email relies upon an ISP mail server which is usually farmed out to a third-party by the wireless carrier and they have little control over it other than to report problems with it. The only settings you can change on the VisorPhone or Treo to control this are the SMS center number and the SMS email center number (which is always 3 digits - kinda like a port number). Cingular seem to just have one number for the SMS center number - I use +12099042010. It was burnt into my SIM when I got it in the store. The SMS email center number for Cingular is 121.

My suggestion to those of you with problems is to avoid speculative advice on fixing this problem. I think it is unlikely that the Treos are failing especially as the software appears to be almost identical to that in VisorPhone. Once you check your settings on the Treo/VP and are sure that your ISP is up and running, your carrier may be the best bet for data call problems. I bet they aggregate calls about problems in certain areas and can give you an update on this. Most problems I have encountered have been temporary inability to connect because my AT&T ISP service was unavailable or because just too many folks were online with my local Cingular cell.

MetaD
    Originally posted by meta_dave
    Hey let's get rid of the 'unscientific' guesswork on this thread and try to get some folks back on the air:

My suggestion to those of you with problems is to avoid speculative advice on fixing this problem. I think it is unlikely that the Treos are failing especially as the software appears to be almost identical to that in VisorPhone. Once you check your settings on the Treo/VP and are sure that your ISP is up and running, your carrier may be the best bet for data call problems. I bet they aggregate calls about problems in certain areas and can give you an update on this. Most problems I have encountered have been temporary inability to connect because my AT&T ISP service was unavailable or because just too many folks were online with my local Cingular cell.

MetaD
    I'll make sure to avoid your "speculative" advice.
  8.    #28  
    an update:

I am in Honolulu now and am still not able to make the data call using an Earthlink, Surbest, or UUNET account. I had hoped that going to a different area might solve the problem.

VoiceStream reception is fantastic over here though. SMS works fine too.

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that a handful of people out there are having phone/network connectivity issues. I personally upgraded from the VP/Prism to the Treo and am loving it. I'm able to log into my corporate account via VPN (iPass), I'm able to log into VS ISDN service as well as well as my ISP (NCOL.net) on my Treo.

I've found that if I click the jog-dial down while the Treo is connecting to ISP, it will display the connection status.

Best Wishes
    Visor Phone, Treo 180, Treo 270, Nokia 3650, Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 800w
  10.    #30  
    Success! I just tried using my replacement Treo and it works for data calls just fine. It looks like it was a defective Treo after all.

... also, very curiously this morning, the phone stopped being able to dial out yet was able to register on the Voicestream network. Maybe it was dying slowly.

So now I am a happy camper. We'll see how it goes for a few days.
    Hi All,

Only for those who have been trying out ISDN quick connects via their Treo:

I posted this on another thread too (sorry for the spam). There seems to be a way to rest the "wireless modem" Connection type in your preferences after you have used the ISDN settings for Cingular or VoiceStream. You have to tell your Treo to go back to Circuit Switched Mode. Try editing your Connection Prefs for Wireless Modem and add this AT string "+cbst=0,0,1; " - exclude the "" marks. You should be able to use your ordinary dial up again with this.

I think this may wake up seemingly dead Treos and save you a wait to get a replacement.

Meta D.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12