1.    #1  
    The title pretty much sums it up. Will AT&T ever sell the Palm Pre? I know that a lot of people here like Sprint and wouldn't see the reason why I'd want a AT&T version of the phone, but I'm on a family plan and it saves me money as opposed to have an individual Sprint plan. Anyways, what are your thoughts on the chances of AT&T getting the Pre?
    Sprint family plan would save you even more money....and upgrade your service too.

Yes it will be coming to ATT.
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    Pixi going there.
    I wish T-Mobile would get it's head out of it's **** and offer the GSM Pre (or Pixi, if we ever get a GSM version). I've been with them since 2003, starting with the Treo 600, now on Centro. I want 3G...
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    You can just hope they offer an unlocked quad-band GSM version; and hope even more that Palm announces it at CES.
    Honestly, I'm not too optimistic about AT&T or T-Mobile.

T-Mobile is seemingly going to go the Android route full force. And AT&T can't seem to offer anything other than iPhone, RIM and WM. They're the only network with no Android phone and the way they want to keep milking iPhone customers, I don't think they'll bother with the Pre or the Pixi. Unless they figure out how to milk them too, maybe.

An unlocked GSM version with US 3G would be great though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Why not switch to a Sprint family plan? I just went back to Sprint from AT&T and am saving a ton of money over what AT&T was charging me for there "family plan"

I know this is a little off topic but I left Sprint 6 months ago (after 6 years?) and went to AT&T with the iphone. After six months I am paying a hefty ETF fee to get away from AT&T and go back to Sprint. WORST service I have ever seen. Daily dropped calls, missed calls, no connection etc. After several calls to customer service they basically said too bad, your stuck with it or pay the fees.

I guess my point is I wouldn't be too excited about what the get or don't get, there service (and customer service) is horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Honestly, I'm not too optimistic about AT&T or T-Mobile.

T-Mobile is seemingly going to go the Android route full force. And AT&T can't seem to offer anything other than iPhone, RIM and WM. They're the only network with no Android phone and the way they want to keep milking iPhone customers, I don't think they'll bother with the Pre or the Pixi. Unless they figure out how to milk them too, maybe.

An unlocked GSM version with US 3G would be great though.
    I honestly dont think at&t could handle the extra bandwith with the iPhones appearant resource drag. As far as RIM, the curve 8320 and 8900 are both 2G only. The Bold is RIM's only 3G BB offering, and for a reason. Android phones, Palm, etc. I don't think it has all to do with Milking, but more or less anything else to help bring their network to its knees.
    at&t iPhone3G
    The BB Onyx is 3G(I think it's 9700 or 9750). Plus they have all those 3G dumphones too. Although they all probably draw less bandwidth than the iPhone.

But AT&T "oh our network is overworked" excuses are lame. The network is lame all because they wouldn't spend any profits.

And no Android phone? And AT&T wants to be viewed as a world class network? LOL!

I want to see what will happen when iPhone exclusivity ends. If those people leave in droves, maybe they'll learn a few things.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The BB Onyx is 3G(I think it's 9700 or 9750). Plus they have all those 3G dumphones too. Although they all probably draw less bandwidth than the iPhone.

But AT&T "oh our network is overworked" excuses are lame. The network is lame all because they wouldn't spend any profits.

And no Android phone? And AT&T wants to be viewed as a world class network? LOL!

I want to see what will happen when iPhone exclusivity ends. If those people leave in droves, maybe they'll learn a few things.
    I agree with you phone diva. The only thing I question is what you mention about all the 3G dumb phones. I don't see a problem there. I don't think the average dumb phone user spends doesn't spend as much time on a data session as smartphone users for one, and especially when the tools given at hand on dumbphones don't make it quite the ecperience. I will use the large full HTML web brousing on my iPhone with my laptop inches away at times. If I had a Motorola Razor 3G...I think I'd grab my laptop. All in all, the heavy traffic won't be comming from dumbphones and the dumbphones are quite piped down. And yes, I think the exclusive deal with the iPhone should end...it would be best for the consumer and maybe it will make them start over or get back to the drawing board of offering top notch service to their customer...which is what it should be about. I can't see the iPhone going to Verizon though...Tmobile, yes. I use to be with Sprint and I did love the crystal clear call quality on CDMA but after having been on a GSM network and experiensing the larger selection of handsets and the ability to swap SIM cards, unlocking of phones...actually owning your phone along with traveling overseas and your phone working seamlessly. Though some don't see it's importants, but voice and data simutaniously rocks. I use it a lot. I talk to friends via handsfree and email, surf the web on info we happen to be talking about, download songs of discussion...so yes I am paying attention to the person on the other end of the line, etc. The haters claim why would you need to do any of the above when you should be talking to the person...what I said ladder explains it. Also it is important to be able to recieve calls if your surfing the net and not have the call go to voicemail. All in all, I'm sticking with GSM even if the iPhone does go to Verizon...it just means I can get AT&T to start dealing on my terms maybe when the mass exodus occurs and they humble a bit, then we will hopefully get better service, better or more competative pricing...the list goes on....hopefully.
    at&t iPhone3G
    They have some dumb phones with big screens, so browsing isn't so painful. Plus you can usually install Opera Mini.

I saw the Samsung Mythic, very nice for a dumb phone. The other popular Samsung dumb phone is the Solstice. The LG VU has been selling for quite some time.

I also see AT&T pushing data plans to get the rebates on dumb phones. So I'm betting people are using what they've been "encouraged" to pay for. Obviously the iPhone and some of the other smartphones are drawing the most bandwidth.
    But I'm curious as to why AT&T keeps pushing data on people if their network "hurts" so much. Could it be GET EVEN MORE MONEY for data, then turn around and again tell people to slow down the data usage and the cycle repeats itself? Charging for data then "encouraging" people not to use it so that they barely have to upgrade their network(maybe just enough to shut people up). They can't keep that up forever.

And them slowing down data apps in the App Store hurts people on other carriers, and overseas people are very unhappy that AT&T has so much pull with Apple. Their networks don't suck and they'd like to use those apps on 3G.

I LOVE the versatility of GSM too, it's just AT&T ruining it as of late.

They have some dumb phones with big screens, so browsing isn't so painful. Plus you can usually install Opera Mini.

I saw the Samsung Mythic, very nice for a dumb phone. The other popular Samsung dumb phone is the Solstice. The LG VU has been selling for quite some time.

I also see AT&T pushing data plans to get the rebates on dumb phones. So I'm betting people are using what they've been "encouraged" to pay for. Obviously the iPhone and some of the other smartphones are drawing the most bandwidth.
    But I'm curious as to why AT&T keeps pushing data on people if their network "hurts" so much. Could it be GET EVEN MORE MONEY for data, then turn around and again tell people to slow down the data usage and the cycle repeats itself? Charging for data then "encouraging" people not to use it so that they barely have to upgrade their network(maybe just enough to shut people up). They can't keep that up forever.

And them slowing down data apps in the App Store hurts people on other carriers, and overseas people are very unhappy that AT&T has so much pull with Apple. Their networks don't suck and they'd like to use those apps on 3G.

I LOVE the versatility of GSM too, it's just AT&T ruining it as of late.

AT&T is apparently not alone in struggling to cope with the demand that data hungry devices like the iPhone have placed on its network. Ronan Dunne, CEO of O2 UK, has publicly apologized to Londoners for the poor performance of its network over the past 6 months, blaming the explosion of demand for data by smartphones such an Apple’s iPhone for its woes. Londoners on O2 have struggled with intermittent data outages and occasional periods where they could not make or receive phone calls, a scenario all too familiar for AT&T customers in the US. To cope with this surge in usage, O2 UK has dumped 30 million pounds ($48 million USD) into its network and has added 200 mobile base stations. O2 is also working closely with Nokia Siemens to help better equip its network infrastructure and is in talks with both RIM and Apple to help identify data-intensive applications, a strategy which sounds a bit troubling. With a bit of good news, Mr. Dunne claims O2’s London network has shown improvement in the month of December and that any* “short-term blip” in their network reputation will be ameliorated by these efforts.
    at&t iPhone3G
    But unlike AT&T, O2 admitted they may have a problem and spent profits to upgrade the network. AT&T FINALLY admitted after a stall and blaming customers(and still are sort of) that they had a problem. AT&T could learn from them!

But unlike AT&T, O2 admitted they may have a problem and spent profits to upgrade the network. AT&T FINALLY admitted after a stall and blaming customers(and still are sort of) that they had a problem. AT&T could learn from them!
    Agreed...
    at&t iPhone3G