1.    #1  
    OK, Handspring caught me a little be surprise.

I live in San Francisco and already use Cingular. I thought I'd be able to renew my contract with Cingular for another year to get the $399 deal.

Was told today by Cingular that because I'm an existing subscriber, I need to pay the full $549! This sucks!

Has anyone heard or done differently? Please let me know.

The only thing I can think to do is to cancel Cingular and then renew it ... but then it "would be at the discretion of Cingualr as ti if I qualify for the lower price" and I would end up losing my current number ... not really a "solution."

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
    you've asked the audience. phone a friend?
    "The Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." -- Daniel Borstin
    Originally posted by Visory

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Same problem with Nextel when they would come out with a new phone. When the i1000 came out it was $199 for new customers and $299 for existing customers.

Way to take care of your existing customers ay.

Anyway I would find a friend who wanted to buy my phone, then we would go to the Nextel dealer I would buy the New phone for the discounted price for my friend he would start a new account and then we would have the Dealer swap IMEI (phones serial number). That way my friend had a new account on my existing phone and I had a new phone on a existing account. There was nothing illegal with this. The dealer was more than willing. They just want the new account.

Of course I don't know if Cingular will be willing to do that.

Good luck!
    im already a voicestream customer and there is no way in hell im gonna pay the bigger price. If getting the year contract is such a fuggin big deal then why not offer the same lower price to existing customers but make them sign another year contract. I mean this way they can get more year contracts by having existing customers and new customers sign up for them. Makes sence doesnt it? Im not gonna pay for a treo plus the cost of what it would cost me for a years service when i can xo my phone and resign up. Is it better for them if we resign up? Whats the big deal.

Cell phone companies are the devil!
    I agree that it makes no sense. it just **** their customers off.

Originally posted by thepromoter
    im already a voicestream customer and there is no way in hell im gonna pay the bigger price. If getting the year contract is such a fuggin big deal then why not offer the same lower price to existing customers but make them sign another year contract. I mean this way they can get more year contracts by having existing customers and new customers sign up for them. Makes sence doesnt it? Im not gonna pay for a treo plus the cost of what it would cost me for a years service when i can xo my phone and resign up. Is it better for them if we resign up? Whats the big deal.

Cell phone companies are the devil!
    To me it was always very simple. The discount is in order to attract a new customer. The cost of getting a new customer is much higher than the cost of retaining one. They already have you as a customer. Why should they (and it is the provider) offer you a discount?
    They should offer a discount because without a contract, the new customer can go elsewhere. Wouldn't it better for them to offer the discoutn and keep the customer for another year long lock?

Originally posted by LouisW
    To me it was always very simple. The discount is in order to attract a new customer. The cost of getting a new customer is much higher than the cost of retaining one. They already have you as a customer. Why should they (and it is the provider) offer you a discount?
    Originally posted by yardie
    They should offer a discount because without a contract, the new customer can go elsewhere. Wouldn't it better for them to offer the discoutn and keep the customer for another year long lock?

They dont need to offer a discount, at least on the Treo. These are early adopters. when the color version comes out, the price will likely go down on the 180. Then everyone will complain. Really, Its not that difficult to understand. It costs less to retain than to attract a new customer. Most people do not want to change the phone provider. Some people will do that. But if you want a Treo, at this point, you have very little choice.
    if you can get a current customer to sign up to another year then the cost is the same to attract and retain customers. I myself have xo'd and resigned up to the same phone company when i needed a better phone in order to save on the cost of the better phone. And ill do iti again. its just a pain in the *** to do it but it will be done.