1.    #1  
    Just wondering. I read a press release that AT&T launch GSM/GPRS in Chicago. Would the treo be able to work on this system? If I eventually got one, it would be nice to just have one thing instead of a pda and a cell phone. I'm at least waiting for a color solution.

Mike
    Yep; any GSM phone should [1] work on any GSM network that uses compatible frequencies [2]; all you have to do is slot in your SIM card and away you go.

GPRS is a technology overlaid on the GSM network; the Treo will be upgradeable to work with GPRS via a software change, apparently.

[1] It is possible for a phone to be 'locked' so that it will only work with a SIM from a particular network. This is quite common with heavily subsidised phones - in Europe, a subsidy of over 200 (around €320) is quite common on a high-end phone with annual contract. You can often pay a fee to unlock the phone, or find software on the net that might do it. If you're buying a new phone for a specific network, obviously this isn't an issue - but it is why phones without a connection often cost a lost more.

[2] GSM operates in various frequency bands. In the US, it uses 1900MHz; in the rest of the world, 900 and 1800MHz are used (there are one or two others, but I've not come across them in the wild yet). Obviously, a European dual band 900/1800 phone isn't going to work in the US. The US version of the Treo is 900/1900, so you can use it in the US and some overseas networks, while the European version is 900/1800.

Nigel.
    Originally posted by MikeD
    Just wondering. I read a press release that AT&T launch GSM/GPRS in Chicago. Would the treo be able to work on this system? If I eventually got one, it would be nice to just have one thing instead of a pda and a cell phone. I'm at least waiting for a color solution.

Mike
    Dude, Why ue AT&Ripoff? I dont care if i get flamed....

In Chicago Voicestream is great and CLEAAR.

Plus VoiceStream is GSM & its in the CHI.

Hey head over to the next "ChicagoPalmUserGroup" meeting I think HS is stopping by with a presentation of the TREO, From the last i was told!
    Hey baby before we start do you mind if we use my M505?
    No not for that!!!!!!!!!!
    Use it to reffer to PalmaSutra, silly???????